Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Busted Speedo  (Read 1234 times)

Zhing1

• Manila, Philippines
    • View Profile
Busted Speedo
« on: 19 April 2010, 06:49:17 »

I just bought my 00 Omega B 2.0 (X20XEV) with AT Tranny a few months back and the speedo didn't work when I got it. I had the car Tech 2ed at the GM dealership and got this DTC "P0500" (No Vehicle Speed). As mentioned, before the GM dealership here no longer supports Opel/Vauxhall vehicles hence they do not have the checking procedures for the the fault codes. I hope you guys can help me out here as well. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: Busted Speedo
« Reply #1 on: 19 April 2010, 08:24:46 »

1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2010, 08:30:22 »

Fault Codes here - http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1206569945
Not for the instrument panel ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2010, 08:31:00 »

I just bought my 00 Omega B 2.0 (X20XEV) with AT Tranny a few months back and the speedo didn't work when I got it. I had the car Tech 2ed at the GM dealership and got this DTC "P0500" (No Vehicle Speed). As mentioned, before the GM dealership here no longer supports Opel/Vauxhall vehicles hence they do not have the checking procedures for the the fault codes. I hope you guys can help me out here as well. Thanks in advance. Cheers!
Does the MID seem to get a valid speed signal (consumption look right etc)
Grumpy old man

Zhing1

• Manila, Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2010, 08:32:14 »

Thanks mate. Unfortunately, I have no idea if its a mechanical, a sensor or a wiring/electrical problem. I'm open to any ideas or insights. :y

Zhing1

• Manila, Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2010, 08:37:46 »

I don't know if this answers your question but we drove the car around with the tech 2 on it. Tech 2 detected output speed signal but there is no movement on the speedo clocks. However, when the did some the diagnostics on the clock via tech 2, the speedo needle moved thru the entire dial hence the guys at the dealership said there are no problems with the clock. There are no indicated faults on the display. Hope this helps. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 April 2010, 08:44:25 »

I don't know if this answers your question but we drove the car around with the tech 2 on it. Tech 2 detected output speed signal but there is no movement on the speedo clocks. However, when the did some the diagnostics on the clock via tech 2, the speedo needle moved thru the entire dial hence the guys at the dealership said there are no problems with the clock. There are no indicated faults on the display. Hope this helps. :y
Did tech2 detect speed signal when connected to instrument panel (rather than engine or abs etc). If so, I would suspect the panel, but that doesn't make sense if the instrument panel ecu can see the speed signal, and also control the speedo reading  :-/
Grumpy old man

Zhing1

• Manila, Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2010, 08:52:04 »

I know dude. I boggles the mind. Since the guys at the dealership don't have the  checking procedures. Can someone come up with one so we can isolate the problem. I have a friend who has the TIS2000 but the model of my omega has been shaded out. Perhaps if a member(s) has a Vauxhall/Opel TIS2000 maybe, they can share the checking procedures. I have a friend who has the TIS2000 but the model of my omega has been shaded out. What are your thoughts on this?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2010, 10:03:51 »

plug in tech2, go to Body > Instrument > Data Display.

See if it shows the correct speed when driving. If so, replace instrument panel.
Grumpy old man

Zhing1

• Manila, Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2010, 10:41:23 »

Will do. Will let you know what happens within the week. BTW. I also recalled the GM Technician mentioning that the tech 2 can't communicate with the ABS system. I have a hunch this might be related. What do you think? :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2010, 11:33:06 »

Will do. Will let you know what happens within the week. BTW. I also recalled the GM Technician mentioning that the tech 2 can't communicate with the ABS system. I have a hunch this might be related. What do you think? :y
If you hadn't had any tech2 on it yet, that would be my initial feeling ;)
Grumpy old man

Zhing1

• Manila, Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2010, 11:52:56 »

So what must be done so the Tech 2 can communicate with the ABS system?

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2010, 12:12:03 »

Just a thought...do the TC and ABS lights lightup when you start then car (then go out)?? Perhaps the ABS/TC ECU has failed??
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

Zhing1

• Manila, Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2010, 12:14:37 »

Just a thought...do the TC and ABS lights lightup when you start then car (then go out)?? Perhaps the ABS/TC ECU has failed??

nope. This does not happen. Aside from using the Tech 2, how else do I test if the abs system is faulty?

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #14 on: 19 April 2010, 12:20:15 »

If your car has TC and ABS then the lights should light up on startup...if they dont then chances are the bulbs have blown/been removed...changing the bulbs should be easy...if once changed they both stay lit then with the speedo notworking as well the ABS/TC ECU will need changing or repairing
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.