Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Understanding ECU part nos and IDENT Codes  (Read 789 times)

Zhing1

• Manila, Philippines
    • View Profile
Understanding ECU part nos and IDENT Codes
« on: 24 April 2010, 04:17:09 »

I'm helping a friend out source an ECU for his 00 Omega with the X20XEV engine. Can you guys give us some insights on understanding ECU part nos and IDENT codes. There are many out there but have varying Part Nos and IDENT Codes. How do you decipher these numbers/codes? There are some people on Ebay that say that their ECUs will fit all cars with the same model eg. 1996 to 2001 omegas with x20xev. But there are some that say the numbers should match to work. Its kinda confusing hence we would like to consult people "in the know" prior to making a purchase.  :-?

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding ECU part nos and IDENT Codes
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2010, 07:52:50 »

Not sure I can help exactly, but as far as I know the ECU needs to be from a similar car, or it will need to be updated by a tech 2. By that I mean same year, engine, transmission, etc. This would certainly be the case with the abs ecu which I need to organise. I'm sure someone with the right information will be able to help further.  :y

charlie

• sunderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2010, 09:42:20 »

Ive one here, so here it goes, should be simtec??.id letters?? than possible siemens number ON this one(5wk9 0253).SO the one i have reads as follows simtec 56,id letters MC siemens 5wk9 0253.THERE is different simtec management systems ie 56,56.1 etc for the 2.0.HTH  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2010, 09:56:33 »

In the case of post 96 engine ECUs, it will need to be paired to the immobiliser ECU, via Tech2.

Generally, a part number will define the specific revision/config of the ECU, and changes for each ident.  idents are easier to remember than part numbers.

Sometimes, you can get another ECU which is same hardware/age, but with different ident, and use tech2 to reconfig to correct ident. But not always. Hence worth sticking to correct ident to begin with.
Grumpy old man

Zhing1

• Manila, Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2010, 13:09:42 »

In the case of post 96 engine ECUs, it will need to be paired to the immobiliser ECU, via Tech2.

Generally, a part number will define the specific revision/config of the ECU, and changes for each ident.  idents are easier to remember than part numbers.

Sometimes, you can get another ECU which is same hardware/age, but with different ident, and use tech2 to reconfig to correct ident. But not always. Hence worth sticking to correct ident to begin with.

What if, I get the ecu kit which is composed of the ECU, Immobilizer Transponder and Key Chip. Will buying this kit make the installation plug and play?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2010, 14:35:17 »

What if, I get the ecu kit which is composed of the ECU, Immobilizer Transponder and Key Chip. Will buying this kit make the installation plug and play?
Yes, assuming the ECU ident is correct (configed for correct gearbox etc etc)
Grumpy old man

Zhing1

• Manila, Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2010, 04:18:55 »

Thanks mate. Will try to look for a matching kit. But in the worst case scenario, what will happen if i get an ECU kit from the same year, model and tranny but with a different IDENT?  :-?

mr ICE man

• Intermediate Member
  • dolgellau wales
  • if it aint broke try and fix it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2010, 09:26:20 »

I have just had to replace my ecu and other parts.I made sure it had the same ecu number.it came with transponders and was all just plug n play and now works a treat.didn't need a tech 2 or anything.the omega guy on eBay is really helpfull for parts and will reserve what you need if he's not hot one so hope that helps and good luck!
scream if you want to go faster!!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2010, 09:57:01 »

Thanks mate. Will try to look for a matching kit. But in the worst case scenario, what will happen if i get an ECU kit from the same year, model and tranny but with a different IDENT?  :-?
ECU from same year, engine, gearbox and ECU revision is likely to have same ident - can't think why else it would differ, unless there are specific 'country factors' (eg, emissions) to account for  :-/
Grumpy old man

Zhing1

• Manila, Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2010, 11:03:46 »

ECU from same year, engine, gearbox and ECU revision is likely to have same ident - can't think why else it would differ, unless there are specific 'country factors' (eg, emissions) to account for  :-/

Unfortunately, the "country factors" do come into play, hence it is a bit of a challenge to source one on Ebay UK. Many ECUs at Ebay come from the same year, engine and tranny but have different ECU nos and IDENTs. I guess we're at a stale mate. I hope there is someone out there who has actually experience, good or bad, on fitting an ECU kit having a different ECU no and IDENT from the original but from a car of the same year, engine and tranny. :-?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.