Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 manual saloon wanted  (Read 6199 times)

Jackv6

• Alnwick northumberland
    • Vw bora 1.9 tdi 1999
    • View Profile
V6 manual saloon wanted
« on: 26 January 2016, 09:06:51 »

Looking for a v6 manual saloon is there any out there open to all types of trim anything just as long as its a manual and in the uk

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: V6 manual saloon wanted
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2016, 09:11:18 »

Replied to your other thread, but given you're actually looking for one, I'd personally say your best bet might be get a car/shell in decent shape, then the 'box/ancilliaries separate, then fit the one to the other. You might pass us half a dozen gems, but turn them down on the strength of being Autos, only to wind up buying a ropey old saloon based purely on the strength of it being a manual.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Jackv6

• Alnwick northumberland
    • Vw bora 1.9 tdi 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2016, 09:15:52 »

I do see your point because theres alot of mint condition autos for sale out there and i have my own tools and workahop so its possible my friend did a 2l ecotec to v6 cinsversion in his calibra so it wouldnt be much differance you have any idea on price and what id need?

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2016, 10:22:28 »

You can have my estate for £5,500.

Jackv6

• Alnwick northumberland
    • Vw bora 1.9 tdi 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2016, 10:47:38 »

Out of my price range sorry

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2016, 11:00:01 »

I know it's not exactly what the majority of people do on here, ie drifting, and certainly I'd never subject my baby to such treatment, however, what's wrong with taking an Omega and doing that? They're pence to buy, rear drive, and there's not much around these days you can get that's reliable and rear-drive, especially for such little money.

To help the OP, Omegas seem to range in price from literally a couple of hundred to about a grand for pretty damn nice ones, to the ones which have been cherished, modified with every Irmscher part available and cleaned with cotton wool every night which go above that.

With the exception of TC and ABS, they also pre-date all the modern driver aids which slap a wet fish over attempts to get sideways. Unless the OP is actually suggesting turning up at car parks or sleepy cul-de-sacs and waking up neighbours with burning rubber and wheezing dump valves, to which I would say 'please don't do that'... I'd say go for it.

Sub-£500 should get you something to start with, probably another hundred, or less for the transmission, and whatever else you want to do with suspension is... well, whatever you want to spend, really. Be it £200 or £2,000. Can't think of a better, cheaper, plentiful and more rugged RWD car to play about in, really.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Jackv6

• Alnwick northumberland
    • Vw bora 1.9 tdi 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2016, 11:04:09 »

Well said and no itll not be a culdi waker ahhaah track or abandand airfield only what manual box would you suggest? And do you have any knowlage on autos drifting?
Im thinking the 2.6 v6 woukd be better because i presume its lighter and easyer to find than a 3.2 and cheaper hahaa thanks

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2016, 11:05:58 »

Well said and no itll not be a culdi waker ahhaah track or abandand airfield only what manual box would you suggest? And do you have any knowlage on autos drifting?
Im thinking the 2.6 v6 woukd be better because i presume its lighter and easyer to find than a 3.2 and cheaper hahaa thanks
About 10kgs lighter  ;D

Jackv6

• Alnwick northumberland
    • Vw bora 1.9 tdi 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2016, 11:13:38 »

If i could find one id get it be it 2.6 or. 3.2

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2016, 11:32:06 »

:) Can't offer any personal experience of swapping boxes (well, I've only ever swapped a box like-for-like, put it that way) but regarding what engine I can give you some info.

Unless I've got my thick head on, drifting isn't per se about bhp. You can drift a Morris Minor with the right driver. Now, if you want to actually go round a track in under a certain time, with the tail out, of course that's when power comes in, and the world of 1000bhp Skylines etc appears, but given you're on a budget I'm assuming you're not looking at that level of tune  ;) It's more about tail out weekend fun for pence than speed speed speeeed, yes?

All the V6 are good. They're the same basic engine, with 'bits' added or removed. By no means comprehensive...

2.5 / 3.0 the earlier version, (verrrry nearleeee) the same as the Calibra/Cav/early Vectra engine. Lots of Calibra boys out there with lots of mods they do. They are notable by and large by their 'short plenum' (look it up) have visible ICV and EGR valves. Proper cable throttle. 6 x proper HT leads, one coil pack.

2.6/3.2s were not made to make more powerrrrrr. They were a compromise of the engine to get around new emissions claptrap. The displacement was increased, but the compression was reduced. It is said they are worse on fuel than the earlier engines. Not perhaps a massive issue for yourself. Notable by their 'long plenum.' Electronic drive by wire throttle. Each cyl bank gets separate coil packs.
The later engines got smoother flowing exhaust manifolds. Most(all?) 2.6/3.2s did away with the EGR and ICV.

The 'big' version of each, so 3.0 and 3.2 got the high lift 'G cams' as fitted to the Vectra Supertouring and GSis 2.5. Adds a theoretical 20bhp to the 2.5 Omegas when fitted.

I'm biased, I own a 2.5. Personally I'd say get any of the V6s, but you don't need the 3.0/3.2, don't feel you're short changing yourself by getting the 'lesser' V6s. But I would say that.  8)

The theoretical perfect Omega engine is a 3.0, manual, with the egr removed, free-er flowing 2.6/3.2 manifolds, plus a few other bits here n there. Some say fitting 4 x G cams gives more grunt, others argue gives a wobbly power delivery (probably true)

There is lots above I've ever simplified, and some I've deliberately ignored and some I've no doubt inadvertently got wrong, but hopefully to a 'beginner' this will prove useful.  :)

Jackv6

• Alnwick northumberland
    • Vw bora 1.9 tdi 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2016, 12:27:00 »

Yes very useful, so really im wanting the older 2.5 for its simplicity to work on, as i would be doing the work my self and im no vauxhall master technition. And possible put swap cams and other bits and bobs off the bigger 3.0 and no im not needing massive power just want something thats going to keep chugging along and not fall on its arse half way though a decent corner. This is why i think the omega is a perfect candiate because of its power, price and relitive ease to work on and yes i have experiance with calibras as my friend owns two a dtm 4x4 turbo (rare) and a 2.0l ecowreck thats now got a 2.5v6 so pretty well versed on them and from what iv read and along with what you said they are verynearly the same platform

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2016, 12:37:05 »

Yes very useful, so really im wanting the older 2.5 for its simplicity to work on, as i would be doing the work my self and im no vauxhall master technition. And possible put swap cams and other bits and bobs off the bigger 3.0 and no im not needing massive power just want something thats going to keep chugging along and not fall on its arse half way though a decent corner. This is why i think the omega is a perfect candiate because of its power, price and relitive ease to work on and yes i have experiance with calibras as my friend owns two a dtm 4x4 turbo (rare) and a 2.0l ecowreck thats now got a 2.5v6 so pretty well versed on them and from what iv read and along with what you said they are verynearly the same platform
If you insist on being an arse... then buy this, but be quick about it...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vauxhall-omega-3-2-LSD-spares-repair-banger-/351634131821?hash=item51df070b6d:g:4x0AAOSw5dNWnktk

Jackv6

• Alnwick northumberland
    • Vw bora 1.9 tdi 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2016, 12:52:39 »

No need for the cheek

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2016, 12:55:24 »

If you insist on being an arse... then buy this, but be quick about it...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vauxhall-omega-3-2-LSD-spares-repair-banger-/351634131821?hash=item51df070b6d:g:4x0AAOSw5dNWnktk

I'd normally be quite tempted by that ecpecially if the price stands. I reckon it's only a couple of miles away too.

Jackv6

• Alnwick northumberland
    • Vw bora 1.9 tdi 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 January 2016, 12:58:49 »

Well its 6 and a half hours away from me pal :( otherwise id have it gunna have a think on it today though
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.