Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a phone while driving is worse than driving with 80mg/ml alcohol  (Read 6846 times)

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • Omega 2.2 CDX TDI Saloon
    • View Profile

In a recent thread I stated “Even using a hands free phone is somewhat similar to being on the alcohol limit.” 
Andy B replied “13ollocks”. 
When I asked Andy B “Could you please substantiate your comment.”, citing two research papers which supported my position, he responded “No .... Lies, damned lies & statistics.”  The thread was subsequently locked so I sent Andy B a PM with the web address so he could download the report for himself and said I would start a new discussion. 

One report I cited is by the Transport and Road Research Laboratory and is entitled How dangerous is driving with a mobile phone? Benchmarking the impairment to alcohol (see https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259258482_How_Dangerous_is_Driving_with_a_Mobile_Phone_Benchmarking_the_Impairment_to_Alcohol). 

I took this from the report Executive Summary and sorted and bulleted the points.  Everything is a direct quote from the report.

This study aimed to quantify the impairment from Handsfree and Hand-held phone conversations in relation to the decline in driving performance caused by alcohol impairment. 

Using a phone is worse than driving with 80mg/ml alcohol
  • … drivers had significantly poorer speed control when using the Hand-held phone than during the other three conditions [including driving with 80 mg/100ml].
  • Reaction times were significantly slower for drivers using phones in comparison to when they had alcohol. 
  • Results showed a tendency for drivers to slow down when talking on Hand-held or Hands-free phones, even when they were specifically instructed to maintain a set speed. [unable to follow instructions] .
  • … drivers missed significantly more warnings when they were using a phone.
  • There was [sic] also significantly fewer warnings missed by the drivers when they were on alcohol in comparison to when they were using the Hands-free phones. [ie even hands free is worse than driving with 80mg/100ml alcohol]
  • The phone drivers were also responding to the wrong warnings more often than the alcohol drivers (false alarms).
  • From the subjective mental effort ratings participants made immediately after driving each route, it was clear that they found driving while using a Hand-held phone to be the most difficult.
  • … certain aspects of driving performance are impaired more by using a phone than by having a blood alcohol level at the legal limit (80mg/ 100ml)
Driving with 80mg/ml alcohol is worse than using a phone
  • ... drivers drove faster than normal when under the influence of alcohol. [and unable to follow instructions]
  • When drivers were under the influence of alcohol, they were significantly worse at driving smoothly (standard deviation of lane position) than during the other three conditions.
It is concluded that driving behaviour while talking on a phone is not only worse than normal driving, it can also be described as dangerous.

Although using phones while driving ... can be considered as irresponsible and dangerous, this behaviour is common. Drivers need to be strongly discouraged from engaging in any phone use while behind the wheel.

I fail to see why that is "13ollocks" but perhaps Andy B will join the discussion and tell us why he believes it is "13ollocks"

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile

As per my pm reply ..... in part, as I've only skimmed through it, the 'conversation' at TRRL was more of a test than a conversation.
You get the likes of BRAKE coming out with drivel half the time re road safety.

That's my first & final reply.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile

John-Ha... I really think you need to get out more.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile

And John ... please don't lecture me on the forum guide lines ... the forum mods will put me right if need be.

ANdy

I have started a new thread.  I will be interested to see your considered reasons why you think the report is 'dangle berries'. 

I put "13ollocks" in quotes as you may be unaware that the forum guidelines state:

Excessive use of bad language of any description will not be tolerated, neither will the use of certain words (masked or otherwise) which we hope should be plain and obvious to anyone who can read these guidelines and be intelligent enough to work out what kind of behavior is and isn't allowed.

Members being offensive to other members will not be tolerated. Offensive or abusive public threads or private messages will be looked in to and appropriate action taken by the Moderators.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile

no one's even mentioned climate change yet  :-X
dave the builder sh!t stirrer  ;D

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • Omega 2.2 CDX TDI Saloon
    • View Profile

As per my pm reply ..... in part, as I've only skimmed through it, the 'conversation' at TRRL was more of a test than a conversation.

So, Andy B, I think all can see that your accusation that I was talking "13ollocks" was completely unwarranted and that you cannot substantiate it in any way.

When I am proved so convincingly wrong as you have been I admit it and learn from it. 

An apology would be nice but I doubt it will be forthcoming as it takes a big man to admit in public that he was wrong.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile

I have almost 45 years experience on the roads in all kinds of vehicles, conditions etc. When it was considered slightly naughty (but no more than that)to have a few pints and drive Ive done it. In a dire emergency at motorway speed I have spoken on a hand held phone - to the police ! I have Bluetooth In my car and use it occasionally.
I don't give a monkeys what this report says. There is no way in the world that a sensible intelligent driver can be affected as much by speaking on the phone as they would be by driving under the influence of twice the legal limit of alcohol.
I can only imagine it was commissioned by people with an agenda and the criteria was thus skewed to produce the result they wanted.
« Last Edit: 19 November 2019, 18:08:22 by Migv6 le Frog Fan »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

I have almost 45 years experience on the roads in all kinds of vehicles, conditions etc. When it was considered slightly naughty (but no more than that)to have a few pints and drive Ive done it. I
You what?  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

As you delight in referring to unsubstantiated peer reviews, a peer review here would suggest that of your 39 posts, only 5 have been constructive... which could be construed to imply that 87.17949% of what you post is nothing more than inflammatory tosh :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

As you delight in referring to unsubstantiated peer reviews, a peer review here would suggest that of your 39 posts, only 5 have been constructive... which could be construed to imply that 87.17949% of what you post is nothing more than inflammatory tosh :-X
Yes, but if people keep rising to it..............

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile

I have almost 45 years experience on the roads in all kinds of vehicles, conditions etc. When it was considered slightly naughty (but no more than that)to have a few pints and drive Ive done it. I
You what?  ;D

Sorry, Im pissed and talking on the phone while typing.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

John-Ha... I really think you need to opps off :)
:o ::)

So, Andy B, I think all can see that your accusation that I was talking "13ollocks" was completely unwarranted and that you cannot substantiate it in any way.

When I am proved so convincingly wrong as you have been I admit it and learn from it. 

An apology would be nice but I doubt it will be forthcoming as it takes a big man to admit in public that he was wrong.
Indeed, Andy is still waiting... :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

You what?  ;D

Sorry, Im pissed and talking on the phone while driving.
That's ok, you won't be any worse than the average woman driver  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile

You what?  ;D

That's ok, you won't be any worse than the average driver  ;D

True enough.

STEMO

You what?  ;D

That's ok, you won't be any worse than the average driver  ;D

True enough.
I arrived home today to be greeted by a queue at the bottom of our road. There's normally hardly any traffic at that time of day. I heard honking and we moved forward slowly. When I got to the hold up, it was an old chap who had seen a mate of his on the pavement and stopped to chat. He was, more or less, in the middle of the road, and they were having a catch-up.  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.