Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear pass side break kine  (Read 3449 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Rear pass side break kine
« Reply #15 on: 28 October 2018, 12:13:45 »

I have not read that towing a car on the highway is illegal. If a car has no brakes, it should be the towing car.

How about putting your hand in your pocket & get the car recovered .....

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 October 2018, 12:25:36 »

thaks get it ordered on monday. and its not dangerous to drive with no brakes and not illegal, brake failure is covered in the highway code and advanced driving, also under the equivalent to driving on ice. handbrake is the emergency braking system not just for parking up, that's why it tested as it is on an mot. and it was the break warning fluid light that's not come on. Any way parked up till fixed anyway.

Of course driving with no dangerous, how the hell could it not be?

The handbrake IS the emergency braking system in case of sudden hydraulic failure. But that emergency finishes the instant the car is stationary. Continuing to drive the car afterwards is a very stupid thing to do.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 October 2018, 13:01:34 »

I have not read that towing a car on the highway is illegal. If a car has no brakes, it should be the towing car.

How about putting your hand in your pocket & get the car recovered .....
Seems the obvious thing to do to me. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 October 2018, 21:07:59 »

Towing a car on a public highway is certainly not illegal. If using a tow rope, there are restrictions on the length of the tow rope, and the towed vehicle has to be able to display the appropriate rear lighting. Towing on a motorway incidentally, contrary to popular belief, is not illegal either. A person being towed by a tow rope has to have all the relavant documentation as well. A rigid bar has benefits over a tow rope, especially for those inexperienced in towing/ being towed.
I would certain not advocate any towing vehicle not to have brakes, beside the blatant offence(s) being committed, any vehicle with no brakes / a braking defect should not be mobile on a road whether it is under its own steam or not.
I can't believe some of the irresponsible suggestions that are being posted about knowingly using a vehicle with defective brakes...........
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 October 2018, 00:19:11 »

.... Towing on a motorway incidentally, contrary to popular belief, is not illegal either. ...........
As I understand it .... a car can only be towed by a rope on a motor to the next exit .... certainly not entering a motorway on a rope.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 October 2018, 01:01:08 »

.... Towing on a motorway incidentally, contrary to popular belief, is not illegal either. ...........
As I understand it .... a car can only be towed by a rope on a motor to the next exit .... certainly not entering a motorway on a rope.

There is nothing illegal about towing a vehicle on a motorway with a rope, whether it be to remove a stricken vehicle from the hard shoulder, or joining and travelling several junctions to tow a vehicle via the motorway to a destination, as long the tow rope is of the correct length, is marked to indicate the presence of the rope to other motorists, the stricken car is road legal, you preferably have an ON TOW sign in addition to the reg of the towing vehicle displayed, and the likelihood of your actions isn't going to cause danger to other road users.
Having said that, common sense should dictate that it IS a dangerous thing to do, as to the probable speed you would be towing at relative to the speed of other vehicles alone would make you a hazard in your own right. The likelihood of an issue if the tow rope becomes slack, or the towed vehicle runs over the rope, especially with those inexperienced in towing with a rope whether that be the tower or towee(?!?) are very high, and would be likely to land you in a lot more bother than the cost of a professional recovery, or at least the cost of a solid bar or 'A' frame which are infinitely safer, especially on a motorway.
In short, its not illegal, but certainly not recommended.
It's all common sense really, or should be.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.