Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: brake flare tools  (Read 4314 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: brake flare tools
« Reply #30 on: 03 May 2019, 13:09:08 »

Once corrosion has started, you cannot prevent it ::) sure you might delay it, but you won't stop it. And coating something under the car with grease only serves to stick dust and crap to it making it harder to inspect or monitor the degradation. Hence the correct approach of an advisory issue.

How hard the tester prys and pokes at something is subjective and if something appears to be coated with the possibility of deception then it should warrant closer and more vigorous inspection.

This is all very different to undertrays etc being fitted as the cars design is not something that a tester has any responsibility for or to.

I would suggest that rather than grease, the pipes would be better protected by being rubbed down and painted with hammerite or similar. And whilst the pipes are unclipped, the floor could be cleaned and undersealed.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03 May 2019, 13:55:41 »

Once corrosion has started, you cannot prevent it ::) sure you might delay it, but you won't stop it. And coating something under the car with grease only serves to stick dust and crap to it making it harder to inspect or monitor the degradation. Hence the correct approach of an advisory issue.
the term "rust/corrosion prevention" I should have substituted the word "delay" because you are quite right  :-[ even a band new car starts to "rust" strait away .
as well as the brown rust, there is metal fatigue ,case hardening, etc

How hard the tester prys and pokes at something is subjective and if something appears to be coated with the possibility of deception then it should warrant closer and more vigorous inspection.

NTs can only use the corrosion assessment tool , and touch what is presented , they can issue an advisory if they feel something is covered up but they can't prove it  :(

This is all very different to undertrays etc being fitted as the cars design is not something that a tester has any responsibility for or to.
undertrays was an example i used to highlight that some areas can not be seen by the NT , some flag an advisory to cover themselves .

I would suggest that rather than grease, the pipes would be better protected by being rubbed down and painted with hammerite or similar. And whilst the pipes are unclipped, the floor could be cleaned and undersealed.  :y
all of which I agree with , covered in my answer to Terry
I do inspect,treat with curust (which is not a cure  ;D)  and paint with hamerite or similar  :y

in summary
there is no such thing as "prevention is better than a cure", but you can DELAY  :D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03 May 2019, 17:07:35 »

I tend to put whatever is to hand on my brake pipes, after cleaning what I'd previously put on and checking they are OK.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.