Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cough Cough !  (Read 6116 times)

Taxi_Driver

Cough Cough !
« on: 17 July 2006, 20:42:17 »

Hi all

I had been discussing this problem in the Gallery Section  :o but thought it better in here

My meega has some issues when on LPG.....poor mpg....poor perfomance.....like prolly down nearly  20% when you push it on lpg....totally gutless.

I had taken it back to the lpg installer several times complaining about the performance....they checked it and declared nothing wrong

Its been fully serviced at vx dealers....last service 60k....its now done 65k (B4 u ask its still under networkq warranty.....so dont want any probs arising from warranty claims)

Martin Imber helpfully suggested some things i try.....new plugs...new air filter

The plugs i changed last, have now done 12k so are due changing again, and i have vx plugs to fit....so this weekend i'll do them.

LPG is fussy and will highlight any engine prob.....

Now....the air filter....i thought id have a look at it earlier.....i thought the air box would be clip on like my veccy....ummm no its torx screws.....ok fine torx driver at the ready.....all undone ok except the the screw at the front right of air box.....its so badly rusted it aint coming out...got there in the end with the aid of flat bladed screwdriver and ummm a hammer....so got the air filter out and guess what its black!!!!

Another prob it had....was floor the pedal from standstill and it went cough cough splutter then went.....so tried it without the airfilter (not probably the wisest of things to do) guess what...it went no probs....no coughing at all.....put the air filter back in and back to cough cough again.

So....i may have found the prob.....it needs a new air filter.....dont vx bother to change the air filter then...when you have it serviced???

From the probs i had getting the filter out.....i guess its the original air filter....

I'll get a new air filter tomorrow......then hopefully shud be better....

Just a bit annoyed that vx dont bother changing the air filter....or coz they had probs like i did trying to get the air filter out they didnt bother!!

Cheers
« Last Edit: 17 July 2006, 20:44:44 by Taxi_Driver »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Cough Cough !
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2006, 20:45:00 »

Thats dealers for you. Bet they charged you for one as well....
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2006, 20:56:20 »

Dunno m8......im so crap at keeping invoices.....and carnt find it.....but pretty sure it just said 60k service + brake fluid change.....which i ok'd them to do.....but no mention of brake pads change which were done under networq warranty....

STMO123

« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2006, 21:05:04 »

When I take my car to my local garage for a 'service', they always call it a standard service-about £130. I've never bothered to ask just how basic this is.

summat

• Preston, Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2006, 21:07:26 »

Reminds me of a bloke I work with - took his Saab into dealer for service - charged for the pollen filter replacement - afterwards he noticed that they hadn't actually changed it. Kind souls eventually posted one to him for him to fit, after he complained and threatened legal action.

I wonder WHY it is that we prefer to do the do-able jobs ourselves? (oil-changes excluded, in my case)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2006, 21:24:20 »

Reminds me of a bloke I work with - took his Saab into dealer for service - charged for the pollen filter replacement - afterwards he noticed that they hadn't actually changed it. Kind souls eventually posted one to him for him to fit, after he complained and threatened legal action.

I wonder WHY it is that we prefer to do the do-able jobs ourselves? (oil-changes excluded, in my case)

And in my case......i dont mind doing plugs....and now air filter....oil change, rather take it to my local garage and pay to get it done.....its a bit difficult when the car is parked on road  ::)

Martin_1962

« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2006, 23:18:32 »

I really hope this is the issue because it should better than you have been getting.

LPG systems are especially messed up by a clogged filter,  I am surprised the installers didn't check or notice.

LEt us know how it goes with a new filter in it!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2006, 00:01:40 »

On inspecting my airfilter with TheBoy we discovered they fitted the wrong one.

Performance is up in mine, it used to feel very stuffy low down and would spluttler if I gave it full beans off the start.

Now no problem smooth as a babys bum though the lower rev range.

Make sure you get a GM part TD, don't bother with Pattern parts

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2006, 06:57:55 »

What about using a K&N or similar air filter?? Anybody any views??

Martin_1962

« Reply #9 on: 18 July 2006, 09:08:42 »

Well you can clean K&N and they filter better - as to flow - that is debatable, it is not worse but I don't know if it is better. That said I think there is a tiny improvement.

But then I haven't changed an air filter in 5 years, I just wash them!!!!

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 July 2006, 10:44:09 »

Well you can clean K&N and they filter better - as to flow - that is debatable, it is not worse but I don't know if it is better. That said I think there is a tiny improvement.

Just wash them never heard of that, I guess just soap and water will do the job.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 July 2006, 10:52:35 »

K and N's I have always found to be rubbish, they filter ok but generaly have a lower flow rate after about 4-6 weeks of normal use as they clog up much quicker.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 July 2006, 10:57:57 »

I dont actually have a K&N filter but I guess I could do the same with what I have got.

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 18 July 2006, 10:58:27 »

Just wash them never heard of that, I guess just soap and water will do the job.

There is a spray but mine ran out so I use washing up liquid and a lot of rinsing before reoiling

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 July 2006, 10:58:31 »

So whats best? standard paper filter?

I've never heard of washing a paper filter before is it effective??
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.