Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arrrgh Rust  (Read 1892 times)

markrl

• Intermediate Member
  • London
    • View Profile
Arrrgh Rust
« on: 23 July 2006, 14:15:23 »

Just discovered the very beginnings of the dreaded rust starting under the rear offside door weather seal under the window. The car is a 1998 Elite 3 litre manual 63k on the clock. Has anybody got any experience of tackling this successfully and would this be difficult/expensive for a body shop to carry out. I know a lot of places are not terrible keen on rust removal for fear you'll return a couple of months later with the rust back again. It’s only on one door and in one very small local place. Car is absolutely mint otherwise. Gentlemen I should be grateful for your advice as bodywork is not my forte.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: Arrrgh Rust
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2006, 14:40:56 »

Can't help you with the rust, but it would be useful to others if you could post a picture, to give a idea how bad it is.
I like red cars

STMO123

« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2006, 15:20:46 »

They all seem to go in exactly the same places. Trouble is, I wouldn't mind betting it started inside the door and is just starting to show on the outside.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2006, 19:19:31 »

I'd say your best bet would be to find a replacement door from a scrapyard.

Once the rust starts it's hard to stop (and expensive). Otherwise try to learn to live with it....

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2006, 19:43:36 »

I think the route cause is the rubber weather seal, its got metal clips on it which i suspect damag the paint work when fitted.....water gets in and rust starts.....worth squirting some waxoyl under them if you can get the tube under it (which should also help stop the rust spreading....)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2006, 20:48:58 »

Another one I found was today under the doorstrip on the diver side passenger door.

Cleaned this up today, still needs spraying but looks alot better than it was.

Filler still needs to set.

Need to get my hands on some cutting compound.

Worth checking, pain to get to.

markrl

• Intermediate Member
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2006, 22:54:05 »

Many thanks for the replies. Took the rubber window seal off, there are no metal clips on mine just a very tight fit with a large lip on the inside. I suspect the rubber seal may have a metal rod inside for rigidity. It looks like the corrosion starts on the inside of the door, very small area not more then 1/4 inch in length and under the seal. I would be interested to know if the later models were galvanised on the doors at this location given that it appears such a vulnerable area. The Senator for all its other corrosion frailties had a much better setup then these horrible rubber window strips which seem so crudely designed. I will see what the body shop says, then maybe its time for the big trade in, pity because otherwise it’s pristine.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2006, 19:04:51 »

got exactly the same problem in exactly the same areas, and i think  the facelift were about 75% galvanised, not sure where though...
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.