Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Urgently Required  (Read 1404 times)

05omegav6

Urgently Required
« on: 25 July 2012, 16:36:28 »

Does anyone have P/N 0493429 Off side Front Windscreen Moulding Seat :-\
Ideally new/unused.

I've got one on order at VX but currently on back order ::) Screen fitter is coming on Monday afternoon.

TIA, Al :y

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
Re: Urgently Required
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2012, 20:27:30 »

I take it you're not going through your insurance Al?  If you are, and it's someone like Autoglass coming out, just tell them that you want a new 4-piece trim set with the new screen.  It shouldn't cost you a penny more than your excess.
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2012, 21:31:31 »

Is through insurers. I asked the question and was told that they don't replace trims :-\ on that basis I figured that at least if I provide the genuine bits, then even if they did supply them, they can't possibly screw it up ::)

TBH the main reason that the screen is being done is to get the trims sorted as the main rubber piece keeps coming away. It's never fitted well and not sure if that was down to the previous fitter either reusing the old trims or cheapy pattern ones :-\ it is also getting a bit tatty from rubbing along the road :-X

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2012, 08:03:48 »

Is through insurers. I asked the question and was told that they don't replace trims :-\ on that basis I figured that at least if I provide the genuine bits, then even if they did supply them, they can't possibly screw it up ::)

TBH the main reason that the screen is being done is to get the trims sorted as the main rubber piece keeps coming away. It's never fitted well and not sure if that was down to the previous fitter either reusing the old trims or cheapy pattern ones :-\ it is also getting a bit tatty from rubbing along the road :-X

Al, as you know, the rubber outer trim clips into the 3-piece plastic trims that clip onto the glass.  They never fit back properly once they have been re-used a couple of times.  My advice would be to remove the outer rubber trim and one of the plastic side trims yourself and hide them up.  You should be able to tease them out easily enough with a small screwdriver or hook tool.  Then ring your insurers (or even the windscreen company direct) and tell them the trim has come adrift whilst travelling at speed and has been loast, and that you will need a new trim set with the screen.  Many insurers don't change trims as a matter of course, but they will if the old trims are badly damaged or missing, as they have no alternative.  Be insistent and don't be fobbed off mate.  :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2012, 15:28:44 »

The three piece trims have been superceded with four piece ones by VX, which is therefore a better design... probably :-\ Anything that they turn up with is unlikely to be compatible :-\

To add have respoken to the insurers and they have confirmed that the trims are part of the screen replacement and have been ordered along with the screen ::) they couldn't, however, tell me who supplies them the trim :-\

The missing piece is on a seven day wait from Germany, so they might have ordered it early enough to arrive, equally the one I ordered could turn up :-\

We shall see...

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2012, 16:03:40 »

The three piece trims have been superceded with four piece ones by VX, which is therefore a better design... probably :-\ Anything that they turn up with is unlikely to be compatible :-\

To add have respoken to the insurers and they have confirmed that the trims are part of the screen replacement and have been ordered along with the screen ::) they couldn't, however, tell me who supplies them the trim :-\

The missing piece is on a seven day wait from Germany, so they might have ordered it early enough to arrive, equally the one I ordered could turn up :-\

We shall see...

The compatibilty issue isn't a problem Al, as the new trims supplied with the screen will be a complete kit anyway, and you won't need to re-use any of the old trims.

Just to clarify, I'm only talking about the goalpost trim that goes up each side and along the top of the screen.  There is no problem reusing the bottom trim.

If it's Autoglass replacing the screen, then don't worry about the quality of the trims they supply.  I never had a problem with fitting them back when I was a fitter.  If you are going to watch him fit the screen, just make sure that the goalpost trim is fitted tightly to the screen before it gets glued in, and that the fitter masking tapes down the top corners of the trim once it's in.  You can remove this tape after a few hours, and the trim will be sitting nice and flat against the bodywork.  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2012, 16:21:29 »

It's AA Windscreens apparantly :-\ The goal post trim is no more, now a four piece arrangement,  with the top and bottom corners on the two side trims. These seem to be sturdier than the ones on the car.

Also got the trim rubbers on order, the edge that clips into to mounting is notched and worn, so can't rely on it to hold :-\

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2012, 21:52:28 »

We shall see...

The compatibilty issue isn't a problem Al, as the new trims supplied with the screen will be a complete kit anyway, and you won't need to re-use any of the old trims.

Just to clarify, I'm only talking about the goalpost trim that goes up each side and along the top of the screen.  There is no problem reusing the bottom trim.

If it's Autoglass replacing the screen, then don't worry about the quality of the trims they supply. I never had a problem with fitting them back when I was a fitter.  If you are going to watch him fit the screen, just make sure that the goalpost trim is fitted tightly to the screen before it gets glued in, and that the fitter masking tapes down the top corners of the trim once it's in.  You can remove this tape after a few hours, and the trim will be sitting nice and flat against the bodywork.  :y
snap who did you work for............

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2012, 17:45:42 »

Thanks for advice Twiglet :y missing trim turned up today so no longer required :y

Fitter had no issue fitting the VX trims, and even conceded that they were better than the a.n.other ones they normally use. Now looking smart as replaced the rubbers as well. :)

Please lock at leisure, ta :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.