Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cam belt  (Read 2069 times)

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
cam belt
« on: 12 January 2015, 22:16:55 »

Andy c's garage no longer on TC.
Best place now for a new cam belt kit? 2.5 petrol.
Thanks.
Dave

05omegav6

Re: cam belt
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2015, 22:44:18 »

Gates or Contitech kit from Buypartsbuy... :y

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2015, 00:10:21 »

Euro car parts....conti-tech    2.5 timing belt kit  £123.60....reduced to £95.94. :y

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2015, 10:06:19 »

Thanks folks.
This car now only does about 1000mls per year for the last 3 years, so the present belt / bearings etc has done about 7000mls.
Any thoughts on a belt only or is it still advisable to do the lot. mileage not expected to increase.

Thanks
Dave.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2015, 10:46:18 »

This question/quandary is very close to mine. I've a V6 with a 'new'-ish cambelt on it. It's done maybe 10k since fitting, but is over the specified and recommended 4 years period. I'm doing the cambelt, I'm not taking the risk, but I am intrigued as how a tensioner/pulley etc sitting in a car not moving is in any way wearing more than one sitting on a shelf in a dealer for the same amount of time, if you follow.

On the V6, being their Achilles heel, as I say, I'm not taking the chance, I'm doing it before she is put back on the road. But if this were a Nova or similar we were talking about, and it was over the specified time period, but well within the mileage limit, then I'd be leaving it an taking the gamble.

In your case it must feel bleedin awful spending bigger money like that every 7k miles. This has me wondering now, how, in a few years, when Omegas are bone fide classics, and cars are doing maybe a few hundred miles a year to a few shows and back, people may be spending the potential hundreds of £s on a cambelt job maybe every 1,500-2,000 miles... :-\
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2015, 11:28:12 »

Thanks folks.
This car now only does about 1000mls per year for the last 3 years, so the present belt / bearings etc has done about 7000mls.
Any thoughts on a belt only or is it still advisable to do the lot. mileage not expected to increase.

Thanks
Dave.

Unless it's drastically overdue on miles, it's usually the tensioner or pulley bearings that fail and take out the belt. Which makes changing just the belt a waste of time and money.

As for not wearing because it hasn't been used, the bearings are still experiencing the belt tension, but only in one place for long periods. This cannot be good for them.

If it were mine, I'd probably risk another year. But I cannot advise that.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2015, 11:33:06 »

Thanks folks.

Thanks
Dave.

Unless it's drastically overdue on miles, it's usually the tensioner or pulley bearings that fail and take out the belt. Which makes changing just the belt a waste of time and money.

As for not wearing because it hasn't been used, the bearings are still experiencing the belt tension, but only in one place for long periods. This cannot be good for them.

Agree with that sentiment, and also wondering if there "might" be a corrosion problem with the bearings causing the time-based failures ?? If the seals are not fantastic they could allow moisture in, the bearings start to corrode and then fail ?? Thus standing or running the problem remains ....  but this is nowt other than guesswork TBH ....  :-\ :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2015, 11:34:53 »

Thanks folks.

Thanks
Dave.

Makes sense, sounds logical.  Also would repeat what Nick W said - belts aren't the issue, in fact will last 80k with no issue. Would gladly just replace the pulley/tensioner on mine but been told on here you can't buy this part alone/not worth it.

EDIT:
Entwood's faster fingers beat me to it!!  :D
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2015, 17:32:23 »

Thanks for the links. £81.02...................£20 a year, I am starting to think, better safe than sorry.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 January 2015, 17:41:19 »

sensible decision :y

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 January 2015, 19:44:22 »

my cam belt done last year (thanks james) at 30K miles and 6 years.  james thought the old belt didn't look too bad.  worth doing though and not just for peace of mind as the last garage hadnt got the line up spot on. probably due to their obvious use of tippex instead of a cam locking kit.

4x4

« Reply #12 on: 13 January 2015, 20:38:43 »

Thanks for the links. £81.02...................£20 a year, I am starting to think, better safe than sorry.
Compared to stripping heads,replacing them or reconditioning them,another cambelt and tensioners,loss of car whilst its being repaired its alot cheaper than just buying a cambelt and not the full kit.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2015, 23:08:19 »

my cam belt done last year (thanks james) at 30K miles and 6 years.  james thought the old belt didn't look too bad.  worth doing though and not just for peace of mind as the last garage hadnt got the line up spot on. probably due to their obvious use of tippex instead of a cam locking kit.

Mine was the same, tippex everywhere, and a tooth out on all four cams. Funnily enough, the marks all lined up when I timed it properly, which suggests that whoever did it hadn't followed good practice and not even turned it through to ensure that everything was still good.

It ran a lot better afterwards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.