Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Down

Author Topic: humbucker's 2004 Irmscher MV6 #irmscherMV6  (Read 101274 times)

Dan282

• Stoke on trent
    • 2001 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: humbucker's 2004 Irmscher MV6 #irmscherMV6
« Reply #165 on: 28 May 2015, 10:52:57 »

Looking good as usual Dan. Loving the latest progress!

korum

• Derby
    • 2003 3.2 Irmscher MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 28 May 2015, 11:00:59 »

so jealous >:(  but are you fitting original plastic cam covers? they will only warp again :D fit some metal ones from a 2.6 vectra and then you wont have to worry about it ;)
Whilst totally ignoring the fact that this will relocate the oil filler to an utterly inaccessible position and also blow the crank seals due to the completely different breather/air management arrangement of the Vectra lump ::) :-X

While he will need to use a longer neck filler to top up oil its not a big deal as for the breathers if they are cleaned often enough (and lets face it to the effort this guy has gone to im guessing he isnt going to neglect it) there is nothing wrong in fitting them to an omega.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 28 May 2015, 12:55:22 »

/panto mode

Ohh yes there is  ;D

/panto mode

Plastic is best, with gaskets fitted right way they will easily last 100k/10 years.

mka306

« Reply #168 on: 28 May 2015, 21:47:04 »

spent a while and a few cups of coffee reading this project thread and to say the least i'm not only inspired but impressed with the work gone into this :y

I have just bought a 2001 Elite 3.2 and I intend on stripping it and replacing as many parts as needed to make it as good as it can be, thanks to this thread I've got a few tips and a lot of encouragement so thank you and keep up the good work.

Will you be making it to PVS this june or are you not quite finished? I'll be there with another club but I would love to see yours and may be get a few tips.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #169 on: 28 May 2015, 23:02:34 »

so jealous >:(  but are you fitting original plastic cam covers? they will only warp again :D fit some metal ones from a 2.6 vectra and then you wont have to worry about it ;)
Whilst totally ignoring the fact that this will relocate the oil filler to an utterly inaccessible position and also blow the crank seals due to the completely different breather/air management arrangement of the Vectra lump ::) :-X

/panto mode

Ohh yes there is  ;D

/panto mode

Plastic is best, with gaskets fitted right way they will easily last 100k/10 years.

While he will need to use a longer neck filler to top up oil its not a big deal as for the breathers if they are cleaned often enough (and lets face it to the effort this guy has gone to im guessing he isnt going to neglect it) there is nothing wrong in fitting them to an omega.

The car was equipped with new dealer-fit cam covers just before I bought it, so I'll rob its original engine of the 'new' cam covers and fit them to the refreshed 3.2. I did, however, fit metal cam covers to my Mk3 Cavalier CDX V6. They're a great dress-up tool for a V6 engine bay, but I don't subscribe to the idea that they should be treated as a solution for preventing cam cover leaks. That said, I agree with the suggestion that metal cam covers shouldn't cause a problem providing that your engine's breathers are regularly cleaned out (thus not causing pressure build up elsewhere). As for the oil filler location...  :-X  ;D
http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #170 on: 28 May 2015, 23:09:47 »

spent a while and a few cups of coffee reading this project thread and to say the least i'm not only inspired but impressed with the work gone into this :y

I have just bought a 2001 Elite 3.2 and I intend on stripping it and replacing as many parts as needed to make it as good as it can be, thanks to this thread I've got a few tips and a lot of encouragement so thank you and keep up the good work.

Will you be making it to PVS this june or are you not quite finished? I'll be there with another club but I would love to see yours and may be get a few tips.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I was hoping to have the car ready for PVS and/or Billing, but I've spent quite a bit of time toying with my other automotive projects - as well as working seven days a week - which has resulted in slow progress on the MV6 (not helped by the fact that I'm spending a lot of time trying to do every job as thoroughly as I can). The car is supposed to be ferrying me around Europe in August, so that's my new deadline. Even so, I'm picking up yet another motor on Saturday, and I'm already resigning myself to the fact that the new arrival might be stepping in for the trip if things don't go according to plan in MV6world!
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #171 on: 28 May 2015, 23:11:34 »

Bugger

PM with your requests.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 28 May 2015, 23:16:11 »

Recently had one replaced on my 2.6 as mine had cracked from both sides, looks like yours has suffered when clips from the scuttle have been removed judging by the position.

At least you can now get a Heat reflective, Rain sensor compatible screen fitted  ;)

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #173 on: 28 May 2015, 23:25:53 »

Recently had one replaced on my 2.6 as mine had cracked from both sides, looks like yours has suffered when clips from the scuttle have been removed judging by the position. At least you can now get a Heat reflective, Rain sensor compatible screen fitted  ;)

Yeah, 'every cloud' and all that...! The 'screen fitters are supposed to be coming tomorrow. I've opted for Pilkington rain-sensor-compatible glass to give me the option of retro-fitting the system at a later date.
PM with your requests.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #174 on: 28 May 2015, 23:50:26 »

Looking good as usual Dan. Loving the latest progress!

Backatcha!
PM with your requests.

05omegav6

« Reply #175 on: 29 May 2015, 00:11:54 »

Recently had one replaced on my 2.6 as mine had cracked from both sides, looks like yours has suffered when clips from the scuttle have been removed judging by the position.

At least you can now get aHeat reflective, Rain sensor compatible screen fitted ;)
Currently on backorder from Vauxhall... Waiting for one for mine... Autoglass were threatening mid to late June :-\

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #176 on: 29 May 2015, 10:56:12 »

At least you can now get aHeat reflective, Rain sensor compatible screen fitted ;)
Currently on backorder from Vauxhall... Waiting for one for mine... Autoglass were threatening mid to late June :-\

Mine was supposed to be fitted this morning (windscreen fitter was able to get hold of Pilkington green-tint, blue sunstrip, rain-sensor-friendly glass at a moment's notice). It's hammering down, and my garage is currently inhabited by an engine in bits, so I've rescheduled the appointment for next Weds.
PM with your requests.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 29 May 2015, 13:04:44 »

Hmmmm if it's Autoglass they won't obtain the genuine screen from Germany (three left), they'll fit a Pilkington 3rd party screen. As said I currently have a Pilkington heat reflective rain sensor screen in my 2.6 Elite (Obviously it's an Elite so has rain sensitive wipers), it took Autoglass three weeks to obtain - I believe Pilkington make them to order now.....

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #178 on: 08 June 2015, 10:43:15 »

A new Pilkington heat-reflective, rain-sensor compatible, tinted windscreen was ready to install within hours of my order being placed (there seemed little point in going through my insurer, only for me to have to stump up an excess that wasn't a million miles away from the total cost of the windscreen when bought privately (and then there's the threat of an increased premium as a result of the claim etc.). IMHO, insurance companies are often more hassle than they're worth!):

The cause of the quickly-spreading crack in the original glass was identified as delamination stemming from a hidden/broken chip. Dirt, dust and leaves had settled on the car's windscreen wipers prior to removal!:

My local windscreen fitter set to work:

Tadaa!

Rain sensor kit mounting point (the original rear-view mirror will happily sit here until I get around to sourcing the parts required for the update):

PM with your requests.

Phil L

• Intermediate Member
  • Hitchin
    • 2003 2.6 Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 21 June 2015, 17:36:44 »

Makes fascinating reading, thanks
Wishing I'd not sold the 67 Mustang...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.