Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: cats / exhaust  (Read 4538 times)

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
cats / exhaust
« on: 15 January 2015, 20:41:23 »

Looks like they both might need replacing . Any recommendations regarding make / suppliers.

Thanks again.
Dave

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: cats / exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2015, 20:43:17 »

Pattern ones are crap and not worth the money

Stick a advert in the parts section on here for a pair of genuine ones  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2015, 20:58:07 »

Any used ones you buy are likely to nearing the end of their life. I'd buy new.

Secondhand exhaust parts need to be very cheap, preferably free, to be worth considering.

I fitted a new N/S cat almost a year ago after the original broke up on the first day of a fortnights holiday abroad. I wish I had replace the O/S one when I changed the rest of the system a few months later.

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2015, 21:06:45 »

Any used ones you buy are likely to nearing the end of their life. I'd buy new.

Secondhand exhaust parts need to be very cheap, preferably free, to be worth considering.

I fitted a new N/S cat almost a year ago after the original broke up on the first day of a fortnights holiday abroad. I wish I had replace the O/S one when I changed the rest of the system a few months later.
As the car is now 18, I was thinking both also. One is badly corroded where  the front / middle join and there is a slight leak. As the exhaust was replaced as a whole I would assume the other bits will be on their way and it will be much easier to do the lot in one go.  This next year will be the most expensive for a long time.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2015, 21:08:10 »

Never found a pattern cat that was fit for purpose Nick.
A cat from Vauxhall would cost more then the car is worth anyway. Its a 1997 model (18 years old)
The original 2/5 3ltr cats are double skinned and unless they have been battered about (which is easy to see) imho, that's the way to go 

A half decent full exhaust system will put you back less then 100 notes delivered
« Last Edit: 15 January 2015, 21:10:00 by tigers_gonads »

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2015, 21:14:58 »

Never found a pattern cat that was fit for purpose Nick.
A cat from Vauxhall would cost more then the car is worth anyway. Its a 1997 model (18 years old)
The original 2/5 3ltr cats are double skinned and unless they have been battered about (which is easy to see) imho, that's the way to go 

A half decent full exhaust system will put you back less then 100 notes delivered
I paid about £300 for its first replacement 12 / 13 yrs ago. So things are much cheaper now.  2nd hand cats. What is a decent price?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2015, 21:21:30 »

Working backwards, I bought a new complete cat back system, delivered as far as Parcel Farce for £92. There is no way I would buy a secondhand exhaust when that is possible.

As for the cat, it was about £70. It fitted perfectly, is quiet  and does the job. I don't expect it to last another 160k miles/14 years, but that applies to the rest of the car too. The frequent insistence on Vx or used-up secondhand parts when decent alternatives are available is a regular source of amusement to me.

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2015, 21:27:22 »

I fitted one of the below to a friends 2.2 back in the summer - fitted well, pass emission with flying colours, it's quiet  :y

The pattern one I took of to fit it however only had 1 cat and failed after a year!

http://www.cats2u.co.uk/32298/Catalytic-Converter/VAUXHALL/OMEGA/2.2
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2015, 21:45:20 »

Working backwards, I bought a new complete cat back system, delivered as far as Parcel Farce for £92. There is no way I would buy a secondhand exhaust when that is possible.

As for the cat, it was about £70. It fitted perfectly, is quiet  and does the job. I don't expect it to last another 160k miles/14 years, but that applies to the rest of the car too. The frequent insistence on Vx or used-up secondhand parts when decent alternatives are available is a regular source of amusement to me.

Nick, the 100 notes WAS for a new system   :)
As for patterned verses a good oem second hand cat ............ all in my opinion (and just about everybody else on here) but hey, as the saying goes, you pay your money ................  :)

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2015, 23:38:12 »

Where from?
D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 January 2015, 10:49:23 »

Depending who you know etc... I was about to replace the cats on my V6, but an analysis found that the flange was the real fault, the actual 'catalytic bit' was fine - a common fault, and looks like the same as yourself. I ended up getting a new flange welded on both. (from another scrap exhaust - the one that came off the car, in fact, as I was replacing the mid and end sections)

1 Beer money/matesrates for a couple of new flanges to be put on
2 Used - ideally collect them yourself, you know how delicate they are, they don't like being chucked around. I know it's not the cat section, but I got the two middle and end sections for £20, fitted now, easily got 3-5 years in it, I'd say.
3 Brand new Vx - pick an organ you wish to donate.
4 Brand new pattern - feels good now, but if it dies after 2 years, then you start to grumble and wish you'd done option 1, 2, or 3.

Just search on heebay for 'scrap catalytic converter' in sold items and you'll see that prices are roughly in the £30-60 region. Now whether you get a decent-looking used pair, or brand new at whatever price, you'd be hopefully recouping about £60+ flogging off your old ones, and the same again when this new exhaust goes pop (be that in 1 year, or 18!) There's lots of 'ifs' and 'maybes' I know. It's sort of one of them things only you can decide, really.

You're always going to get the mix of opinions from "I'd never buy a used exhaust - eww! Think I live in a council house, or something?!" ... to ... "I'd never buy a brand new Vx exhaust! Think I'm made of money?!" and everywhere in between. Hope whatever you choose is economical and right for you and your Current Account doesn't dip into the red over it  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2015, 13:39:43 »

Where from?
D

See Steve's link below mate  :y

Kieran

• Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 January 2015, 21:34:05 »

Hello

Also lookin for a mid section exhaust for my car a 2.6 estate. Tried the link in this section but they seem not to stock exhausts for the 2.6. Would also like a good quality new one but not at Vauxhall prices. Any suggestions please.

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 January 2015, 22:15:22 »

2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.