Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: drakos, omega trackday toy  (Read 18586 times)

2boxerdogs

Re: drakos, omega trackday toy
« Reply #15 on: 09 October 2015, 21:58:47 »

Certainly looks like this motor keeps you busy !!

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 October 2015, 16:29:31 »

thanks for the comments... the spoilers are steinmetz imitation, but the front one is to far gone and will be replaced.

the last weeks i made some progress and changes in the plan.

first of was to remove the sound deadening remnants

next up was to weld some holes in the wheel arches and closed up the hole's for the heating and aircon
(here you can also see the a pillars stripped off all brackets)

and from the outside with the edges sealed with some sealant

in the wheel weld removed some excess metal to gat a few mm more clearance for the wheels, also removed some starting rust and gave it a coat of caprotech anti-rust/rust desolver....tomorrow i'll give it a coat a black stonechip by the same company
( not on the pic but seam welded the edge where i've cut the metal off)

also bought a coilover set, it is a custom made intrax set (not for this car, vw is the origin here  ::) )

reason i choose this is because a the rather beefy front struts  45mm to be exact 8)

after a few minor repairs i gave the engine room a layer of 2k primer and shortly after it 2 coats of white.. came out much better than needed/expected  :)
here you can also see the aircon holes closed-up

next was a bit unplanned.. but been given a new engine, so why not spoon it in?
old one out;

the new engine it now tear'd down and given a bit of paint, next up is build it up with some overhauled heads (also came with the package  :) )  and put it back in
its a 3.0xe

and a little project just for fun.. got a wrx hoodscoop laying around and could use some ventilation in the car, problem was that it was ridiculously high so cut it in 2   :P

to get this  ;D
need some more trimming but you gett the idea  ;)

« Last Edit: 12 October 2015, 16:36:27 by drakos »
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
omega v6 2.5 trackday project
calibra 8v daily

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2015, 13:24:14 »

Hi!

I am keeping eye on this project, and it looks very good ATM. It could be a proper track car, as you are doing a detail job.

Do you plan to keep the interior naked (just roll cage, front seats)?
Dashboard -> will you use the factory one?
Battery -> I suggest you relocate it into trunk, or even on the place of rear seat
Fuel tank -> as it is just short of rear bumper, it's a nasty unsprung weight -> best to replace wiht trunk mounted fuel cell (positined above rear axle).

Also, as you stripped a lot of equipment, you have a lot of unused wire loom -> what are you planning to do with that?

Bojan

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 October 2015, 16:18:08 »

thanks, it will be build as a fun tracktoy.. but in mind to make it a proper racecar in the near future with minimal changes.

interior will be completely naked, only a drivers seat,rollcage and a optional passengers seat. front doors will be covered with a thin sheet of aluminium and the trunk will be closed off the same way

dashboard is going back in for the moment, although totally gutted and as light as possible.
dash center and fan holes will be covered with a sheet of carbon to house the switches for the lightning and killswitch etc

loom is brought back to a bare minimum, more than 3 trasbags of weight removed there.. only the lightning and wipers are fully functional and off course the essentials for the engine
battery will be relocated to behind the passenger seat, 15ah must do the job to start it (i hope)

fuel tank stays there for now, as it is mounted to the body it isn't unsprung weight  ;)  center off gravity is nice and low over there, only a bit to far back, will fill it with racingfoam to keep it from running dry in the corners..
probably at a later stage it will be replaced by a cell above the axle indeed
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 October 2015, 21:58:13 »

Good project, going well.

You will need to keep heater matrix, and fan in to clear windscreen if you have a wet day,unless you fit heated front screen,  Omega fuel tank has a built in swirl pot, (basic form). Will you be fitting a full multi-point cage, (triangulated).
Hoof'land storeman.

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 October 2015, 22:07:14 »

hi

going to fit a electric heater under the dash that blows through the original holes for the window. much lighter

cage will be something like this (probably without the extension to the front strutt)

calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 October 2015, 07:56:08 »

Few question, regarding the boot-lid and hood -> Are they too flexible now (as not having enought rigidity)? What did you use to remove the 'skeleton'? Angle grinder or something else? Also, did it leave any marks on the outside painting?

Have you sourced a electric heater? From what I've learned (as I plan to do this also), the ceramic heater core is the best (low el.consuption with satisfactory heating effect) - can ususaly get one from some better quality 12V dash heaters. IMO, best way is to mount them in place of original heater matrix. All air tunells scraped and their holes blocked off, except the windscreen ones.

Regarding the unsprung wieght - I used the wrong expression :-[ - what I ment is overhanging mass (this is the weight in front of front axle, and behind the rear axle - this weights have very negative effect on handling and cornering).

Are you keeping factory handbrake?

PS. do you inted to keep it road legal (MOT, registration)?
« Last Edit: 14 October 2015, 08:01:05 by Bojan »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 October 2015, 10:18:26 »

hi

going to fit a electric heater under the dash that blows through the original holes for the window. much lighter

cage will be something like this (probably without the extension to the front strutt)

If fitting a cage to that spec, be a bit daft not to fit strut mounts,.
Hoof'land storeman.

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 October 2015, 19:51:55 »

If fitting a cage to that spec, be a bit daft not to fit strut mounts,.

don't see the point for the reinforcements to the front strut.. ever looked at the front structure of the omega? 3/4 layers off steel there.. except for rallying purpose it is more than adequate for the track.. only supplement at the front end will be a strutbar.(quite possibly triangulated if i got the room for it.

good to hear about the stock swirlpot, makes life a bit easier for now  :y

the bootlid is quite flappy when opened, but closed more than sturdy enough... especially if i keep it in place with 4 quick release pins
as for the hood.. wish i hadn't done that, it is way to flexible in the middle.. need to fix that with a stroke of aluminium tubing or something (maybe i'll weld in it a inverted hoodvent, will fix the strength also)

--way to do this is with a angle grinder with a 1mm disk and a sharpened puttyknife for the sealant. this way there is no harm to the outside, just keep the temperature to a minimum.. with a thicker disk it will get to hot and burn the paint

as for the heating, was thinking something like that also.. only mount it in under/in a (tube)blower direct to the window exits in the dash as i've no longer got the rest of the heater/housing/pipes
(something like this http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/oncirrus/3/image/product/product/0123456789/0123456789/coo_in-line_blower_fan_4.jpg)

the fuel tank is a compromise both ways.. low and to far back or to high but center... thing i'll make my choice after a few days of testing on the track  ;)

car is gonna be road legal except for the emisions (educated guess  ::)).. so with minimal changes it can pas it's mot.. but i've got a trailer so no need to pass it. (and save's a lot off money on taxes and insurance without mot )

haven.t thought of the handbrake yet.. will keep it for now i think. no weight to be saved there and no need for a uprated one ass i suck at drifting anyway  :P
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 October 2015, 18:00:12 »

small update, cleaned up the car.. quite a pretty looking car under the plastidip mess  8)

and with some new mesh in the bumper,spoiler lip, lights and a few bits in the engine room (ran out of mesh, gonna replace the bit in the grill to)

calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

migiestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Liverpool
    • 03 Omega 2.2 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 October 2015, 17:01:45 »

The car looks great  :y.Please keeep us updated with pictures on the project.Well done !!  :D

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 December 2015, 12:31:20 »

time for a update.

al lot of time gone in the engine and gearbox, so not a lot off pics.
but done some minor things to the body.

first things first, got tired of working on the ground, so bought a car lift  :)

here are the spot welded welded arches;

modified the coilovers to accept a stabilizer bar;

and fitted everything. the droplink are from a land rover  ;D

the camber adjustment is amazing with 1inch spacers for the wheels, from -1 degree to -5 degrees adjustable  8)

some modifications to the body..
front towstrap fitted;

release pins for the bonnet

also for the trunk

and release  springs to keep the trunk closed (locking mechanism is long gone)
the trunk is now a pick off, no hinges anymore (saving of around 3kg)

also bought a dtm spoiler;

the next couple of weeks will be reserved for hanging the engine back and rerouting the exhaust and stuff, so some big updates to come
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #27 on: 23 December 2015, 01:45:34 »

Nice project mate - keep the pics coming  :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

chuftsmv6

• Intermediate Member
  • stoke on trent
    • omega mv6 2jz and audi s3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 January 2016, 20:01:46 »

Wow I bet that's a lot lighter now lol
That will go like a rocket  ;D
What do you reckon it weighs now then mate  :)

drakos

• netherlands
    • calibra,omega,
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 January 2016, 17:54:40 »

hoping for 1100/1200 kg with a full rollcage.. no idea if i'm being to optimistic    ;)

a few small update's;

refurbish t a set of brakes.. for now with the original pads. gonna replace them for high performance soon.
gave them a clean with a wirebrush
before and after;

and a bit of red brakepaint i got left from a previous project;

derusted and painted the suspension arms and uprights and replaced the hub (thread was damaged)

gonna remake the metal plates behind the disk to accept a 3inch cooling/ducts hoses, brake lines will be replaced for breaded.

got a new clutch setup to replace the dualmass..
flywheel and presureplate from a early c20xe,disk from a c20let,
also some new oem bolts for the flywheel and pressureplate. and new oil seals for the gearbox.

a spacer for the bearing is being made, also the flywheel will be skimmed for a better hold. after that the engine can be placed back  ;D

tomorow i'm hoping to replace the rear shocks for my vw coilovers (fabricating work required), update will follow tommorow evening i hope  ;)
calibra v6 3.0 4x4
calibra 8v daily
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.