Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie ..spoiled for choice  (Read 3295 times)

shaun10569

• leigh
    • audi allroad
    • View Profile
Newbie ..spoiled for choice
« on: 23 January 2016, 17:11:08 »

Which model do i go for , looking at getting another omega , had an 1998 3.0 elite about 10 years ago was a great car . looking at getting another to use as my private hire car ,cant decide on which model to get was thinking 2.2dti but people say fuel econ not that great , or 2,2 16v then they say chains snap, or do i go for 2,6 for balence of both power and economy.auto or manual ? .  what are the real mpg for these and opinions from owners welcomed as when its plated its for 12 months, want something comfy as im int 10hrs a day hence the omega  :y cheers

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie ..spoiled for choice
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2016, 19:38:23 »

Hi and welcome...2.2 and 2.6..and 3.2  all have belts..no chains...and if changed at the given intervals / mileage..arent generaly a problem.. :y

2boxerdogs

« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2016, 21:22:03 »

Hi, welcome I had a very nice 2.6 manual for 5 years ( sold it last November ) best mpg I got was 33 usually returned 27-30 on my daily commute bought it with 50,000 miles on the clock sold it with 92,000 miles it never missed a beat & never used any oil between services a very comfortable vehicle. Most important are the timing belt changes at 40,000 miles or every 4 years. Main dealers always did mine for around £300.
« Last Edit: 23 January 2016, 21:24:55 by Tilbo »

sandune

• Omega Baron
  • Essex Southend
    • 2.6 Omega Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2016, 22:28:50 »

Hiya  welcome there are a few good buys so good luck  :y

Freebird

• West Cumbria
    • Omega 2.2 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2016, 09:05:37 »

Hi welcome to OOF  :y

I have a 2.2dti and according to the on board computer I am averaging 49.6 mpg.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 January 2016, 14:02:44 »

Hi welcome . I would go for the 3.0 if you can still find one  :)
Omegatitis

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2016, 18:14:58 »

Hello and welcome to OOF.I would imagine engine size could depend to some extent whether you're doing lots of short stop/start town type work or longer distance stuff such as airport runs and such.A manual should be more economical than an auto,but I don't know for sure as I've never owned a manual Omega and I gather that they're not the slickest of boxes to use.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2016, 02:34:16 »

Welcome  to OOF mate  :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2016, 11:41:59 »

Hi there :y

Having run a 3.2. Omega estate as a cab from 2009 to 2014, I appreciate where you're coming from, but...

Sorry to piss on your parade, but the Omega won't be suitable for your needs... it's about 6 years too old to be considered  licencing limit is 7 years old then it must be replaced so you're looking at new or nearly new. And even if you get it past the exemption criteria, it will cost a small fortune to get the bodywork sorted and even then will need three Mots a year. Oh and it needs to be silver or white ;)

Licencing conditions...
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/downloads/200094/taxis_and_private_hire

Age exemptions...
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/downloads/download/6251/hackney_carriage_and_private_hire_-_exceptional_condition_policy

Try these guys... http://www.thetaxicentre.com/

Apologies if the licencing area is wrong, but I think you'll find the age restrictions pretty typical, and that's before you get into licencing costs :-\

Good luck :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2016, 12:06:35 »

I own an ex-taxi as a spares car. Not sure about how the laws work regarding if a taxi is sorned for a period of time. Perhaps it has to be in daily use, as it were, I don't know. Anyway, in a couple of months it's up for grabs  :y

It's a 2.0, but that can be sorted for something with a couple of extra cylinders easily  ;)

If you're allowed to sorn a Taxi, then put it back on the road as a taxi again (it's never had 'change of use' or whatever the DVLA version of it is called) then I could be your man  :y

However, I suspect my parade is about to be urinated on, haha.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2016, 12:10:42 »

I own an ex-taxi as a spares car. Not sure about how the laws work regarding if a taxi is sorned for a period of time. Perhaps it has to be in daily use, as it were, I don't know. Anyway, in a couple of months it's up for grabs  :y

It's a 2.0, but that can be sorted for something with a couple of extra cylinders easily  ;)

If you're allowed to sorn a Taxi, then put it back on the road as a taxi again (it's never had 'change of use' or whatever the DVLA version of it is called) then I could be your man  :y

However, I suspect my parade is about to be urinated on, haha.
Yup ::)

Doesn't work like that, as each LA has their own rules... being licensed in one place is irrelevant to another... it might be useful if op lived in the same authority area and the plate on the Omega hasn't been allowed to lapse, neither of which are likely... ;)

Ps read the links in my last ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2016, 13:24:15 »

fair do's  :)

My parade is suitably soaked  :D
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

shaun10569

• leigh
    • audi allroad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 January 2016, 09:16:16 »

i come under wigan LA and they are still plating 01-02 picassos ... lol so a late 03 omega won't be a problem..im running an 06 tdci mondeo at the mo but want something bigger and more comfy  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 30 January 2016, 17:28:31 »

Quote from: shaun10569 ulink=topic=134219.msg1723624#msg1723624 date=1454145376
i come under wigan LA and they are still plating 01-02 picassos ... lol so a late 03 omega won't be a problem..im running an 06 tdci mondeo at the mo but want something bigger and more comfy  :y
You have read your conditions haven't you... :-X

https://www.wigan.gov.uk/Business/Licensing-Permits-Registrations/Taxi-and-Private-Hire/Private-Hire-Drivers.aspx
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.