Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cabin Heater Fan  (Read 1359 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Cabin Heater Fan
« on: 17 March 2016, 09:56:59 »

Heater fan has been quite noisey for last few weeks and last night it decided to completly stop.

Have checked fuse #33 and intact.Have put a 12 volt across fan terminals and it works albeit quite noisey so thats would seem to need attention/replacing with new.

Assume only other failure part is the "hedgehog resistor" as when reconnected fan doesnt work .

Are all parts the same across the range ,and are these safer buying new or is second hand being a genuine part the best route ? as would prefer to have both parts to hand prior to repairs start.

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
Re: Cabin Heater Fan
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2016, 10:37:25 »

The climate control "hedgehog" is electronic and can be damaged by water from a blocked scuttle drain or when water gets into the fan bearings and partly seizes the motor.

I would want to see a fan & hedgehog working before removing from a scrapper; unless someone on here has one that has been stored dry since removal.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2016, 12:18:49 »

Thanks Matchless...wise words :y

Trouble is finding new is now becoming an issue and VX costs make simple repairs very costly assuming they still have stocks.

I suspect the motor is just a good guess..if it runs with a 12 volt feed and is quite then that is probably as good as you can get 2nd hand.

How would you test the Hedgehog resisitor though and is the same part used right across the range having climate control as have found new for sub £30 so happy to invest in that unless a definitive test can be established for 2nd hand unit..given the restricetd working space I only want to do the job the once ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2016, 12:29:45 »

If fan is simply noisy, drop some 3in1 oil onto the shaft from the pollen filter opening :y

As for hedgehog, have used Intermotor to good effect... readily available on ebay for £15-20 iirc :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2016, 12:40:45 »

Fan was noisey up to last night now it will not run when fitted in car .

With both wires removed from resistor and 12 volt put across terminals it runs but makes a nasty noise so my assumption is both fan and resistor need replacing .

Off to spend some money now  :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2016, 12:56:54 »

Fan is only noisy as bearings have gotten wet, as bourne out by failed resistor... scuttle drain should be first priority ;)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2016, 13:05:12 »

That was my first port of call and bone dry with no evidence of any dampness and drain is perfectly clear.

Thinking though fan has made a buzzing/clicking noise now for several months so maybe its been effected much earlier

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2016, 13:06:06 »

I'm probably talking "dangle berries".. but I seem to recall a previous conversation where it was indicated that, as part of the hedgehog/climate control function the voltage applied to the fan is NOT 12v .. but a variable voltage to regulate the speed... lower speed required=lower voltage.

It thus occurs to my single half functioning brain cell that "if" your fan is noisy/struggles to run with a direct feed of 12v, then it may have too much "internal friction" to run at a reduced voltage when that is supplied by the hedgehog/controller ??

It "might" just be worth changing the fan on its own if my thought has any merit .. but then again .. it might not ....   :-\ :-\

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2016, 13:23:53 »

See you logic,Nige,and seems very plausable. :y

For all the messing about getting the glovebox/airbag/cable tray etc etc out then becoming quadruple jointed for an hour and requiring physiotherapy I am just incline to spend another £20 and change both the fan and hedgehog for new as cant face all that lot again when I replace just fan to find it still doesnt make any difference.

Lifes to stressfull anyway for the sake of £20,ish   ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2016, 16:27:51 »

The resistor is what applies the variable voltage... Be prudent to swap that out and try lubricating the fan... The hedgehog is fiddly enough to swap, but iirc, the fan is in a whole different league :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2016, 16:47:33 »

The resistor is what applies the variable voltage... Be prudent to swap that out and try lubricating the fan... The hedgehog is fiddly enough to swap, but iirc, the fan is in a whole different league :-\

That is how I would do it, depending on the cost of a new fan. New, not been 'stored' in a damp shed for 7.5 years, but it was working when it was removed in the dark with a crowbar, by a pissed off dwarf

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 March 2016, 17:24:05 »

Money spent and now waiting with "baited breathe " :-\

New Hedgehog sourced for sub £25 and what seems to be a near perfect fan assembly for slightly less so hopefully parts will be here next week,then the fun will start.Looks like a whole lot of agro but ...well it is an Omega  ;D

Hopefully no ham fisted goblins have been near the fan though ???
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.