Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saloon aeriel  (Read 1973 times)

raymie440

• Glasgow
    • 3.2 v6 Elite
    • View Profile
Saloon aeriel
« on: 12 June 2016, 18:17:15 »

I hope someone can help, I have a saloon with the ncdc2013 Bose system. I don't have the navigation cd, so it's redundant. The radio reception is currently dreadful. I know the rear screen acts as an aerial and the roof aerial is for the sat nav. Could I replace the roof aerial with a universal one for the radio as the sat nav is redundant? Could I run the new aerial to the back of the stereo or does it need anything else, amplified power for example.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Saloon aeriel
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2016, 18:41:50 »

With a spare hole in the roof you can pretty much do anything you want to, maybe first see what the issue is with the windscreen aerial as they do work quiet well, common problems are, faulty fm connector at the back of the HU, poor connection at the drivers footwell connection, no voltage to the aerial amp or bad earthing on the amp, the later sometimes shows up as reception gets worse when you put the heated rear screen on.

Anyway, back to your question, if you ripped out the roof aerial you would also need to install new FM Cable to feed it, as the 2 current feeders to the Saloon Roof location are 50 Ohm cables (one is for the GPS other is GSM) and are no good (wrong feeder type) plus different connectors to whats required for your FM feed. You could if your good at connectors move and or extend the current FM feeder that feeds the Window Amp, or run fresh cable to the drivers footwell (assuming the feed from the footwell is good to the back of the HU).

Another option is to get a FM whip, Amp, and Aerial loom from an Omega Estate and retro fit that setup instead
« Last Edit: 12 June 2016, 18:49:53 by zirk »

raymie440

• Glasgow
    • 3.2 v6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2016, 19:36:10 »

Thanks zirk, something's to think about there, quite like the idea of the estate aerial. Think I'll do a wee bit off digging this week and see if I can find the problem!
« Last Edit: 12 June 2016, 19:40:13 by raymie440 »

raymie440

• Glasgow
    • 3.2 v6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2016, 19:42:19 »

zirk, quick question. If I was to put on a new roof aerial, would this still have be amplified? Or could it tun directly from the roof to the head unit?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2016, 20:36:06 »

Thanks zirk, something's to think about there, quite like the idea of the estate aerial. Think I'll do a wee bit off digging this week and see if I can find the problem!
Yea, you could use other set ups from Vectra, Astra Hatch, Saloon, Estate etc, but there smaller cars, hence why I said Omega Estate as the whole cable system would be long enough to fit without extending the feeder cable. 

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2016, 20:49:36 »

zirk, quick question. If I was to put on a new roof aerial, would this still have be amplified? Or could it tun directly from the roof to the head unit?
Ideally with an Amp, as most Systems are design that way, two main reasons being most modern cars use comprised (shorter) aerial lengths these days, albeit its a 1/4 full length but wrapped around a short whip, second is by having amplification closer to the aerial and boosting the signal there its less prone to signal loss and interference closer to the HU.

You could run without the Amp, but your be a few db's down on signal strength, which I thought was what the problem was in the first place, ie, poor reception.

I still feel you have a problem with your current setup, as probably know most of the FM stuff is transmitted from the two TV and Radio Masts at Blackhill, ive done some work on both of them in the past and they both provide very good signal coverage into Glasgow, Edinburgh and up to Sterling. 

raymie440

• Glasgow
    • 3.2 v6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2016, 21:01:41 »

Good man!!

raymie440

• Glasgow
    • 3.2 v6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2016, 21:29:23 »

Right, maybe now thinking that getting dab into the car might be a better idea. I know I could run an external dab aerial from the roof and I know I can't change the ncdc2013 Bose head unit. So what is the best way to add dab into a Bose system?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 June 2016, 14:37:29 »

Right, maybe now thinking that getting dab into the car might be a better idea. I know I could run an external dab aerial from the roof and I know I can't change the ncdc2013 Bose head unit. So what is the best way to add dab into a Bose system?
Its do-able, but theres no standard means of external Aux inputs on the NCDC HU range, so your need to get a DAB Tuner that has a FM Modulator built in so it will work through your existing FM Receiver on the HU.

This works by the DAB unit receiving Digital Broadcast Signals, then converting the received Audio back to Standard Analog FM Signal which then get demodulated back to Audio via a preset channel on your HU's FM Radio. Not the ideal solution as your not really getting the full benefit of the quality of better Digital Audio DAB has to offer, but your get sounds through it.

Your call, but if it was me, I'd stick to the plan, get your FM Signal Reception sorted first and go from there.

raymie440

• Glasgow
    • 3.2 v6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 June 2016, 19:07:16 »

I have had a root around and believe that it is the aerial amplifier that has gone. I am getting reception but it drops out quite a lot. I have just bought this on ebay,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC5-52-Seat-Leon-Amplified-ISO-ISO-Aerial-Adaptor-/250507376699

Am I correct in thinking if I put this at the back of the head unit and connect the blue wire to the red/white wire it will do the same job as the amplifier?

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2016, 00:56:19 »

I have had a root around and believe that it is the aerial amplifier that has gone. I am getting reception but it drops out quite a lot. I have just bought this on ebay,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC5-52-Seat-Leon-Amplified-ISO-ISO-Aerial-Adaptor-/250507376699

Am I correct in thinking if I put this at the back of the head unit and connect the blue wire to the red/white wire it will do the same job as the amplifier?

I thought the fitted amp was at the back of car - near the screen. If you fit an amp at the other end of the cable (HU) you will amplify noise in equal amounts to the signal you actually want I suspect.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.