Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Superunleaded  (Read 11948 times)

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
Re: Superunleaded
« Reply #30 on: 20 July 2016, 23:39:38 »

Averaging about 24mpg around town, with aircon on. Would a change to super unleaded increase the response from the engine and mpg?

Should do thats what it's set up for, but use the 99 rating.
I get better performance and return.  But if your looking for a return then you need to drive with that in mind.

Only have Asda, Morrisons and Essco where I live. They are all 97ron I believe. Is it even worth using 97ron?

I don't bother with the 97, it's 99 or stick with the 95 until you find some.

Same here  :y 99 or standard 95, no 97 or 98

Does Morrisons offer 99ron?

kev2b4

• Luton, Beds
    • 2.5 CDX ,2.5 tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 July 2016, 08:52:50 »

I use the Shell posh stuff on my bike ( but is only 3 gallons at en though have a time) ; shell cooking fuel for the car; even though have ASDA nearby, but they don't like my new debit card without the swipe- so I rather go to the local shell garage even though it costs a little more. don't use the posh diesel from shell - use the cheapy one in the van.  But last time was at a fuel depot - with the brand  named and supermarket tankers coming in - they use the same loading bay but the  posh ones have the extra additives.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 July 2016, 22:18:04 »

Only have Asda, Morrisons and Essco where I live. They are all 97ron I believe. Is it even worth using 97ron?
[/quote]

Don't know about Asda, but I've never seen 97 RON at any Morrisons, and I visit many different Morrisons fuel stations in connection with work. I've even asked if they are ever likely to get Super Unleaded, as the older fuel stations invariably have 3 fuels per pump, duplicating on one grade, a 'left over' from the days when they also used to have leaded. The answer has always been 'No' or just a gormless look as they try to understand what I've asked......
Are you sure your Morrisons had super? It would me worth mentioning it again if there are others with it!

2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 22 July 2016, 11:16:29 »

Averaging about 24mpg around town, with aircon on. Would a change to super unleaded increase the response from the engine and mpg?

X30XE and Y32SE engines sound much much smoother on Tesco SU99 in my experience.  The X30XE was noticably more spritely as well.

The omega is one of the worst bhp/torque per gallon cars going so if mpg is even remotely an issue just buy another car.  Even if SU made it 10% better (which is laughably optimistic) you'd still only be doing 26.4mpg. Which is still fantastically shit for a slow car.  :)
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 August 2016, 11:35:16 »

The Turbo Weasel got Asda cheapshit and the discount garage stuff when it was 2/3p cheaper that everyone elses, which appeared randomly on certain days of the week... but Pissy gets Tesco Ultimatum only  :y gone down 1p/litre, I noticed, too, now 111.9 near me.

Must get some Wynns/Forte injector cleaner, too, she's due. I'd dismantle the engine every weekend and bathe it in honey if I could  :D
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 August 2016, 23:02:43 »

The Turbo Weasel got Asda cheapshit and the discount garage stuff when it was 2/3p cheaper that everyone elses, which appeared randomly on certain days of the week... but Pissy gets Tesco Ultimatum only  :y gone down 1p/litre, I noticed, too, now 111.9 near me.

Must get some Wynns/Forte injector cleaner, too, she's due. I'd dismantle the engine every weekend and bathe it in honey if I could  :D

Going to give Tesco Ultimate ago, I'll update if I notice any improvement.

Jukeboxnut

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • 2004 2.2 auto CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 04 August 2016, 21:48:01 »

My old MG Y Type used to run on 50% paraffin quite happily (with a drop of lighter fuel to help starting) when I was an impoverished student back in the early seventies.

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 August 2016, 00:58:35 »

In relation to this thread, is the much real world difference between the auto 2.6 and auto 3.2 in terms of fuel economy and power delivery? As there seems to be no 3.2's for sale anywhere. Were they less reliable?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 August 2016, 05:09:44 »

In relation to this thread, is the much real world difference between the auto 2.6 and auto 3.2 in terms of fuel economy and power delivery? As there seems to be no 3.2's for sale anywhere. Were they less reliable?
Au contraire... 3.2s were perceived to be thirstier, but reality is that for the power delivery,  they aren't.  Also were more expensive...

They seem rarer now because people who own them now don't particularly want to sell them, and those that are looking are getting less fussy about the condition of the cars for sale...

Basically you buy the car you see on merit knowing full well that the cambelt and suspension are likely to need doing in the first few months... If you are going to spend a grand or so that soon, it doesn't really matter if the car is £500 or £1,500, you're buying it because you want that car not for economics ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10 August 2016, 14:56:05 »

Au contraire... 3.2s were perceived to be thirstier, but reality is that for the power delivery,  they aren't.  Also were more expensive...

They seem rarer now because people who own them now don't particularly want to sell them, and those that are looking are getting less fussy about the condition of the cars for sale...

Basically you buy the car you see on merit knowing full well that the cambelt and suspension are likely to need doing in the first few months... If you are going to spend a grand or so that soon, it doesn't really matter if the car is £500 or £1,500, you're buying it because you want that car not for economics ;)

Probably explains why and also why the Elite trim is so hard find. Did all the 3.2's come with a boot spoiler? If you had the 2.6, would you notice much difference with the 3.2?

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 August 2016, 15:16:42 »

Depends what you want... as far as I'm aware there was no specification difference between a 2.6 and a 3.2 Elite etc. If you get a TD, then you lose traction control, but that's it

As I say, what's your criteria? If you want a nice, smooth, V6 engine up front which makes a nice engine note, and a very nice engine note close to the redline, then it doesn't matter 2.6 or 3.0. They will do this the same. A 3.0 with clogged breathers/badly plumbed in vac tubes will produce the same power as a well-serviced 2.5.

However, if your criteria is the above, plus bragging rights and be faster than everyone else in the car park, then.... pick another car other than an Omega! 1.6 ton car with 25 year old engine isn't going to cut it. As has been said in other threads, even a well sorted Omega isn't what you call 'fast' today. Exhibit A...Girl at work is getting her new A1, it's the S1 - 236bhp, 0-60 5.8...that's Lotus Carlton territory...in a ruddy Audi A1!!! And she'll do mpg any Omega can only dream of.

I don't feel in any way short changed because there's other Omegas out there with more displacement, of course there's 'bigger fish' ... and there's far, far bigger fish than even an Omega 3.2 MV6 manual. If you own a 1994 2.0 8v GLS, or a 3.2 Elite manual with brand new LSD, so long as you like what you have that's what matters. I'm not knocking the 3.2 owners here, I'm simply saying it depends what you want from your car and why, that's all.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 August 2016, 17:23:35 »

If you had the 2.6, would you notice much difference with the 3.2?

It's a big difference, even if you put G cams in a 2.6 it's still a long way off the performance of a 3.2.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 August 2016, 17:25:58 »

Depends what you want... as far as I'm aware there was no specification difference between a 2.6 and a 3.2 Elite etc. If you get a TD, then you lose traction control, but that's it

3.2 Has leather and Sat Nav as standard.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 August 2016, 20:19:39 »

It's a big difference, even if you put G cams in a 2.6 it's still a long way off the performance of a 3.2.
My 525 actually feels as fast as the 3.2 auto estate... And it's only got 192 horses...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 August 2016, 20:32:40 »

My 525 actually feels as fast as the 3.2 auto estate... And it's only got 192 horses...

Interesting, as my manual 525 had to be thrashed to make the sort of progress that the heavier, automatic Omega manages effortlessly. Admittedly it was an M50, so didn't have VANOS, but I've tried those back-to-back and it isn't a massive improvement. The Omega is more economical too, although that is mainly due to sensible gearing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.