Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Project MV6 - MOT result (Mr Rog's old car)  (Read 13224 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Project MV6 - MOT result (Mr Rog's old car)
« Reply #15 on: 10 October 2016, 22:02:00 »

So today after the absolute result in the MOT test....

I decided to look at why, for a 3.2, to use TheBoy's expression, it felt as flat as a witches tit. I also thought I'd look at where the oil leak was coming from at the front of the engine.

I could see the oil pressure switch has been done in the not too distant past, probably to try and cure the leak onto the top of the sump at the front. Having cleaned off the oil and it coming back I knew it wasn't that.

I therefore suspected the front crankshaft oil seal. In light of the multirams working well etc, I also suspected the Vauxhall dealer had murdered the cambelt installation, resulting in the flat performance.

So, off with the plenum, bagpipes, inlets stuff blah blah blah.

Upon checking the valve timing, on the cambelt setup, it was WELL over a tooth out on all cams. It's no problem for me, but if I'd paid Vauxhall the amount they had been paid, and this was the result, I would have been absolutely fuming:

So this was with the crank locked at TDC - this is over a tooth out!

The above was the same across all 4 cams, so I won't post all 4 pictures, you get the idea.

Vauxhall want SHOOTING!!

They have also vastly over tensioned the belt. It's done 15k only, yet grease EVERYWHERE through probably excess pulley wear due to incorrect fitment. A brand new cambelt kit will be going back on, I don't trust this one.

Anyhow, here we are with the entire cambelt kit off:

And, as you can see, the oil is clearly coming from the crank seal, now the sprocket is removed:

And here is the offending item:

And here you see the oil leak before it was taken apart (you can see it on top of the upper sump)

So tomorrow, I pick up new crank seal etc etc from dealers. As and when I feel up to it, I'll put it all back together and she should now be oil tight!

Goes without saying, full service and extensive breather clean will occur at the same time.....

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 October 2016, 22:51:57 »

Good to see you're up to some work now James :y

Now, not wanting to argue, but the camshaft timing is 1/2 a tooth out in that picture by my reckoning :-\ Not that it matters... Out is out ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 October 2016, 22:58:36 »

About 90 minutes is my absolute limit in a day. But it's certainly something. And as said before I'm being pushed to be as active as possible to recover, without being silly.

I agree, it's not quite a tooth out. Still a poor show for a dealership though :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 October 2016, 23:01:25 »

About 90 minutes is my absolute limit in a day. But it's certainly something. And as said before I'm being pushed to be as active as possible to recover, without being silly.

I agree, it's not quite a tooth out. Still a poor show for a dealership though :y

Firstly, don't overdo it!

Secondly, don't overdo it!

Thirdly, don't overdo it!

Is that clear? ::)

As for the timing... Are you surprised?
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 October 2016, 23:10:49 »

Not at all surprised. First time I gave her some beans I suspected it.

Don't worry I won't overdo it. Beforehand, I'd have chased around after the part, and got it all back together, probably by torchlight if needsbe. Those days are long, long gone. It's here for my pleasure and recovery, so will be slowly enjoyed, as such :y :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 October 2016, 11:48:00 »

Don't forget to take the spacer on the crank off (which the seal inner lip runs on) , clean it up and put it on the other way round so the lip seal has a fresh clean face to run on.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 October 2016, 11:54:33 »

Don't forget to take the spacer on the crank off (which the seal inner lip runs on) , clean it up and put it on the other way round so the lip seal has a fresh clean face to run on.

:y :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 October 2016, 21:52:55 »

No progress today, back too sore and I was given the wrong bloody seal, far too small  >:( >:(

On the plus side:

- I have sourced a mint door, to replace the one that's all scuffed up  8) I need to get up to Nottingham to get it, but I'm sure I will at some point in the not too distant future

I have been doing some research and trying to get quotes for the rear wheel bearing. Most garages either won't touch it, or want about 5 hours worth of labour per side.

No balls, no glory. It might take a while, (I may need a helper to yank on breaker bars, etc) but, I'm doing the rear bearings myself. There's no rush. And that way I can also do both rears. I have figured that, if one has failed, the other won't be far behind. I can also renew the handbrake shoes, discs, and pads at the same time.

Still no idea what the end goal is for this car. I'm not sure I can bear to part with the 530d touring, because in the nicest possible way, it's better than an Omega  :-[

But I am itching to play again  ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 October 2016, 22:04:08 »

No progress today, back too sore and I was given the wrong bloody seal, far too small  >:( >:(

I have been doing some research and trying to get quotes for the rear wheel bearing. Most garages either won't touch it, or want about 5 hours worth of labour per side.

No balls, no glory. It might take a while, (I may need a helper to yank on breaker bars, etc) but, I'm doing the rear bearings myself. There's no rush. And that way I can also do both rears. I have figured that, if one has failed, the other won't be far behind. I can also renew the handbrake shoes, discs, and pads at the same time.

I bought my crank seal over the counter from ECP for about £7. It's one of the usual industrial brands and fitted perfectly.

I reckon a wheel bearing is two hours work, doing the job in the street. That's easily 90 minutes with the car on a ramp. Quotes for five hours are to make you go away. My tools require dismantling the handbrake mechanism which adds some time, but means there's no likelihood of damaging the hub or new bearing. I've PM'd you. There's no point in changing both, just do the one that has failed. New brakes shoes while it's apart is definitely a good idea.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 October 2016, 11:50:01 »

On the plus side:

- I have sourced a mint door, to replace the one that's all scuffed up  8) I need to get up to Nottingham to get it, but I'm sure I will at some point in the not too distant future

Still no idea what the end goal is for this car. I'm not sure I can bear to part with the 530d touring, because in the nicest possible way, it's better than an Omega  :-[

But I am itching to play again  ::)
I Take it james your off to see Nigel....So far ive had two doors,two wings and the rear bumper off that Z594 saloon he had and now your gonna grab the other front door...  ;D ;D ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 December 2016, 18:05:40 »

No mention of ANY of the above work in the ebay advert... which given all the stuff written in read is rather deceptive...

Just in case anyone here is bidding :-X

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-03-VAUXHALL-OMEGA-3-2-V6-MV6-ESTATE-AUTOMATIC-IN-RED-/182379411667?hash=item2a76a8f8d3:g:~T4AAOSw2xRYRtjv
Onanists always think outside the box.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 December 2016, 09:02:34 »

Any previous stuff done was all to the benefit of the car?

If anything is inaccurate please feel free to point it out and I will amend if suitable?

I cannot see how listing invoices in my possession can ever be deceptive.

As enthusiasts we tinker all the time. I cannot see anyone mentioning every single thing they have done in a for sale ad? We'd be there forever.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 December 2016, 09:12:31 »

I am rather upset at the use of the word "deceptive" and as such have reviewed the ad once more.

The only thing I have forgotten to mention  on the advert was that we changed the crank seal, and this I will add.

The fact I forgot to mention we replaced a £30 part (which improved things) may be forgetful, it's not deceptive. When you have sold a 14 year old car have you always remembered every little thing you've done?

Any issues with the car are very honestly listed and to be honest I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 December 2016, 09:49:22 »

There is a very easy way to deal with this. I have added the following to the ebay advert:

It has been kindly pointed out by a member on the Omega Owners Forum (of which I am also a member) that I have failed to list some other improvement work carried out on this car.

It has been suggested by this user, that this is deceptive, however, that was never the intention, and I am adding this additional information to ensure clarity and transparency.

Specifically, the crankshaft oil seal was changed, in my ownership, which is something I forgot to mention in the original text. 

In order that I cannot be accused of "hiding" the fact this work was done, please can I ask any potential viewers or buyers to look at this link:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=137521.0

Frankly, If I were trying to hide anything about the car, I would not have ever posted it on a public forum.

If there are any queries, or requests to view, please don't hesitate to contact me for a visit / chat.

Hopefully, Doctor Gollum, you will now be assured that I am not trying to hide any information from anyone, and that people no longer need to "beware" of my Omega ad.

I have been a respected member of this forum for almost a decade, anyone who knows me will know without question that I would never set out to "have anyone over".

I am upset enough about the fact my physical (and emotional) conditions are deteriorating, and that I am unable to enjoy the mechanical side of these cars anymore, without the suggestion that I'm doing something devious.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 December 2016, 10:00:12 »

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about what Doctor Gollum says.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.