Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yellow headlight  (Read 5371 times)

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
Yellow headlight
« on: 31 October 2016, 18:52:43 »

My nearside Hid headlight is very yellow and with the dark nights it would be nice to clean it up. Any ideas? Does the yellowing affect Hid headlights as much as normal halogen?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow headlight
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2016, 18:55:43 »

Yup, they all suffer.

If yours is pre 1998, put MFL headlight on.

If post 1998, get a cleaning kit, such as the 3M one that goes in a drill, and follow instructions to letter.

Its cheaper to buy various bits of sandpaper and compound much, much cheaper, but the 3M kit is only £20, and takes a lot of the hard work out ;)
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2016, 19:01:07 »

I've found the recent 3M kits seem to have dropped the coarsest sandpaper which for very yellow headlights is essential. I've also found that the final polishing pad in the 3M kit works well with some G3 liquid (Halfords sell it) to get rid of any swirl marks etc.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2016, 19:02:53 »

I've found the recent 3M kits seem to have dropped the coarsest sandpaper which for very yellow headlights is essential. I've also found that the final polishing pad in the 3M kit works well with some G3 liquid (Halfords sell it) to get rid of any swirl marks etc.
Being tight, I'm still using my kit from just after the garage going up. Its done about 6 headlights now :P

Never had the swirl marks, but then I do take longer than what 3M suggest  :-X
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2016, 19:04:38 »

Though now I know what to expect, and have a better grasp than previously, and also having the drill and buffing pads, I'd buy the sandpaper and compound from anywhere now.

If I was starting afresh, I'd probably still buy one of the kits such as 3M :y
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2016, 19:18:50 »

A sheet each of 1000 and 1200 grit paper will cost about a quid if you buy them from an expensive supplier. I've done 8 pairs of lamps this year, and used less than half a sheet for all of them. Lots of soapy water and a block are necessary. You never use wet and dry without a block.

A small tube of G3 is expensive at less than a tenner, but you only need a smear per lens. It's handy for other jobs.

A really shitty lens is 10 minutes work, by hand, off the car. Slightly quicker on the car, as it's already secure.

Headlamps are too small to bother with a power tool.

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2016, 22:24:55 »

A sheet each of 1000 and 1200 grit paper will cost about a quid if you buy them from an expensive supplier. I've done 8 pairs of lamps this year, and used less than half a sheet for all of them. Lots of soapy water and a block are necessary. You never use wet and dry without a block.

A small tube of G3 is expensive at less than a tenner, but you only need a smear per lens. It's handy for other jobs.

A really shitty lens is 10 minutes work, by hand, off the car. Slightly quicker on the car, as it's already secure.

Headlamps are too small to bother with a power tool.

That is what I was hoping to avoid, the use of a power tool. If I get some G3, do I just use it with a cloth or sandpaper?

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2016, 22:29:42 »

You mean G3 polish?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2016, 07:14:55 »

Have a read of this [url]http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=134048.15/[url]

lloyd3213

• Kent
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2016, 13:06:37 »

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2016, 18:43:42 »

Have a read of this [url]http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=134048.15/[url]

Thanks for the link Nick, interesting reading. It's funny, my off-side light looks brand new? Unless it was replaced at some point. My first car with Xenons, they make such a difference.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 November 2016, 19:48:08 »

My nearside Hid headlight is very yellow and with the dark nights it would be nice to clean it up. Any ideas? Does the yellowing affect Hid headlights as much as normal halogen?

Yep, as others have said polish with a good quality wet and dry waterproof paper, with ever increasing grades.  I start with 3000, but take my time.  I also apply a bit of G3 Professional Scratch Remover Paste (£8 from Amazon) and plenty of water and just keep with it.  Then lots of water, wash down lots of times, then I progress to 5000 and then final 7000 grade.  Finally dry off and apply a good quality UV Sealer and then a few coats of good wax.  You will admire the results  :y

Here is the result when I did the ones on my Dads Desmond a few months ago as they were starting to go.

My MFL V6 I have kept in the Garage (owned from new) so the sun not really had chance to batter them as seen in pic of my headlights below (plus I have the GM Perspex headlight protectors on them which I think has helped keep the UV off !

Happy polishing  ;)

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 November 2016, 18:33:50 »

Yep, as others have said polish with a good quality wet and dry waterproof paper, with ever increasing grades.  I start with 3000, but take my time.  I also apply a bit of G3 Professional Scratch Remover Paste (£8 from Amazon) and plenty of water and just keep with it.  Then lots of water, wash down lots of times, then I progress to 5000 and then final 7000 grade.  Finally dry off and apply a good quality UV Sealer and then a few coats of good wax.  You will admire the results  :y

Here is the result when I did the ones on my Dads Desmond a few months ago as they were starting to go.

My MFL V6 I have kept in the Garage (owned from new) so the sun not really had chance to batter them as seen in pic of my headlights below (plus I have the GM Perspex headlight protectors on them which I think has helped keep the UV off !

Happy polishing  ;)

Good results there Dr Andy. Funny my offside is as new.

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 November 2016, 19:48:13 »

Would T-cut or Meguiars work just as well?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 November 2016, 20:27:51 »

Would T-cut or Meguiars work just as well?

It's not really coarse enough to cut through the crud. That's what the paper does effortlessly, and the G3 compound(or whatever expensive magic potion you might have) restores the finish.

This was really bad, so it was sanded with a couple of passes of 1000 then 1200grit paper which created the dull but even finish:

A quick buff with the compound(by hand) produced a usable lamp:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.