Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A month with the big black pussy  (Read 14919 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: A month with the big black pussy
« Reply #60 on: 02 June 2017, 12:18:31 »

Although a failed locking motor already?  :(

Maybe Lucas still make Jaguar electrics..

My car (July 2013) has already suffered problems with  the central locking/alarm system. Fixed under warranty, fortunately.

Jaguar does tend to have a 'Tandy parts bin' approach when it comes to electrics. 

aaronjb

« Reply #61 on: 02 June 2017, 12:28:51 »

My car (July 2013) has already suffered problems with  the central locking/alarm system. Fixed under warranty, fortunately.

Jaguar does tend to have a 'Tandy parts bin' approach when it comes to electrics.

You're showing your age there, Opti! ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 02 June 2017, 13:02:02 »

I'm told  you are officially classed as an old fart if you can remember the 'old money'.....sadly I can. :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 02 June 2017, 13:27:41 »

Also noticed that Jag forum suffers from same issue VW ones do, threads with lack of replies.  :(

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 02 June 2017, 13:36:37 »

Also noticed that Jag forum suffers from same issue VW ones do, threads with lack of replies.  :(

That's because people with jaaaaags only like to say how much they've paid for repairs, as they don't fix themselves. They have people that do... 

I'm guessing the VW one is all about how big there wheels are, or what's the smallest size tyre they can fit on a 20" rim..
Hoof'land storeman.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 02 June 2017, 13:55:00 »

That's because people with jaaaaags only like to say how much they've paid for repairs, as they don't fix themselves. They have people that do... 

I'm guessing the VW one is all about how big there wheels are, or what's the smallest size tyre they can fit on a 20" rim..

Actually very little of that either, yes on the American one they are heavy into 'mods' and 'slamming' them so they run 2mm from the ground.

UK ones tend to be full of DIY questions, just a huge lack of response/knowledge.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 02 June 2017, 17:42:51 »

Suppose it could be a tight mech, but I suspect motor and/or its selection of open/close/ajar switches.  Seems to be a curse of most cars (though VAG may still use their vac operated ones?).

Price of motor looks scary  :'(
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 02 June 2017, 18:44:17 »

I'd pull it first and see what part numbers are on it. JLR are buggers for the common parts bin. You may be pleasantly surprised that it's shared with something older/cheaper like an xf, or even discovery.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 02 June 2017, 19:56:27 »

Yep, even I know its now Radio Shack! 8)

STEMO

« Reply #69 on: 02 June 2017, 20:15:42 »

I'd pull it first and see what part numbers are on it. JLR are buggers for the common parts bin. You may be pleasantly surprised that it's shared with something older/cheaper like an xf, or even discovery.
He really shouldn't start pulling his jag to bits. Mr DTM, on the other hand, would love to work on something a bit more modern than an omega, I'm sure.  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 04 June 2017, 18:42:26 »

That was my plan...  ...well, to get a meter out all over it first, in case just a switch....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 04 June 2017, 18:43:38 »

Doesn't help that I think the battery is 3 parts shagged, but I'm getting all sorts of spurious voltage readings, that one day make me think the battery is fine, and another day that its shagged.
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 04 June 2017, 18:50:50 »

Doesn't help that I think the battery is 3 parts shagged, but I'm getting all sorts of spurious voltage readings, that one day make me think the battery is fine, and another day that its shagged.

FWIW I would fit a new battery first thing. I know on my parents rangie, and on colleague's xf that an imperfect battery led to a whole Christmas tree's worth of faults and warning lights. From windows refusing to fully close (leaving a 2" gap) to air suspension misbehaviour and the XF informing the driver it had no oil in it  :o

If you're even 5% worried about the battery's health it's pointless trying to fault find until you've changed it for a known good unit.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 04 June 2017, 19:02:42 »

FWIW I would fit a new battery first thing. I know on my parents rangie, and on colleague's xf that an imperfect battery led to a whole Christmas tree's worth of faults and warning lights. From windows refusing to fully close (leaving a 2" gap) to air suspension misbehaviour and the XF informing the driver it had no oil in it  :o

If you're even 5% worried about the battery's health it's pointless trying to fault find until you've changed it for a known good unit.
That kind of goes along with my gut feeling about minor niggles I have, such as passenger mirror now unfolding if car has stood overnight....

...it was just the £200 for a new one, I wanted to cover all bases first ;D
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 04 June 2017, 22:31:51 »

I'm in a similar position. The car is hovering me no worries at all, but I don't have a date stamp on the battery and it's definitely OE Volvo so I'm concerned its original. Also, it's sitting at 12.3v or 13.9 when charging idle which "feels" low to me.

That said, mine will be nearer the £60mark. Have you checked Tayna Batteries? They're showing a Bosch (5yr guarantee) that will fit yours for £110. I've always had good service from them  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.