Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: For those who have done extensions...  (Read 7791 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
For those who have done extensions...
« on: 07 August 2017, 12:17:51 »

Thinking long term options here, can't exactly do it for a year or two. But what would be the costs in:

* Removing a conservatory.
* Converting a single garage into a kitchen (*note no feeds here for gas, so might have to go leccy only, as current kitchen is at other end of the house)
     - Garage is single brick, pitched roof, no insulation, attached to house but part way along house and extends past the house into the garden. (one side of current conservatory is the garage wall)
* Re-build single extension where conservatory was, with couple of roof windows. Approx 4 meters out from house (we are detached), so tad bigger than current conservatory and approx 8-10 meters wide. (width of town house)
     - I would want to knock through from new extension into the garage, to create open plan kitchen/dining area.
* Rip out old kitchen at the front of the house and make safe for second reception room.

----------------

Note that I could not do one single part of this myself, nor do I have contracts in the trade. So would be looking at full retail price for this.  :'(

Given costs some have paid for extensions in the area, I've heard costs ranging from 20-45k for a simple 3 meter extension.

So would I be looking at £75k+?  :-\
« Last Edit: 07 August 2017, 12:20:38 by tunnie »

aaronjb

Re: For those who have done extensions...
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2017, 12:40:04 »

The kitchen cost will vary considerably depending on the spec of kitchen you want fitted, I'd guess.. but my uneducated guess would be quotes in the £50k region, at least.

I had quotes of £15-25k for a simple brick double garage, a few years ago..

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2017, 12:43:08 »

The kitchen cost will vary considerably depending on the spec of kitchen you want fitted, I'd guess.. but my uneducated guess would be quotes in the £50k region, at least.

I had quotes of £15-25k for a simple brick double garage, a few years ago..

Yeah, we could re-use some bits, like the built in fridge/freezer, oven but these would be very minor bits.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2017, 12:59:19 »

Not wanting to volunteer anybody, but if EssexBi :-\gAl is listening..... :-X

Ron.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2017, 13:00:33 »

Sorry, I typo-ed big timein the graphic for EssexBigAl  :-[

Ron.

Lincs Robert

« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2017, 13:15:57 »

We had one done at our last house & like you I asked around for advice. So, I'll pass that onto you as my opinion ......

If you are serious then get an architect involved. Initially for a chat - which should be free. He can give an outline of what is & isn't possible/permitted etc. I'd imagine that you will need planning, but even if not then having a proper set of plans drawn up is invaluable - especially if you then use them to get quotes for the job.

I agreed a fee with mine for the plans/getting planning approved and then selecting the builder. Architects know of builders.

I'm glad we did this as there was a dispute with the builder which we eventually "won" due to the dialogue/paper trail between the architect & builder. We eventually sacked the builder at a certain stage and finished the job ourselves overseeing plasterers/carpenters/electricians etc.

It's a stressful time for everyone, my youngest was 18 at the time and the other two had left home already - but having a bolt-hole to escape to will be very useful with young children. It can also stress any relationship with neighbours- which may or may not be an issue for you.

Finally, dust is a fact of life during such a project.

HTH

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2017, 13:48:38 »

I have been investigating my own extension - 4m single storey out the back of the house in to the garden.  I have no doubt that I would be quoted about 45-50k for this by a professional company so about 60k once they fudge the final figure update their estimate as they go along.

I sat down and costed it with my father who has just completed a 2 sided 2 storey extension on a house in London and if I Project-managed it myself and used a bricky mate (local to us both) and did a few of the easier jobs myself it would come in at about 12-15k including the full width concertina door at the far end of the room (on to the garden)

You dont have to do the work yourself, just get the experts in to do the difficult bits of parts which are best suited to those with the necessary skills ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2017, 13:55:37 »

We had one done at our last house & like you I asked around for advice. So, I'll pass that onto you as my opinion ......

If you are serious then get an architect involved. Initially for a chat - which should be free. He can give an outline of what is & isn't possible/permitted etc. I'd imagine that you will need planning, but even if not then having a proper set of plans drawn up is invaluable - especially if you then use them to get quotes for the job.

I agreed a fee with mine for the plans/getting planning approved and then selecting the builder. Architects know of builders.

I'm glad we did this as there was a dispute with the builder which we eventually "won" due to the dialogue/paper trail between the architect & builder. We eventually sacked the builder at a certain stage and finished the job ourselves overseeing plasterers/carpenters/electricians etc.

It's a stressful time for everyone, my youngest was 18 at the time and the other two had left home already - but having a bolt-hole to escape to will be very useful with young children. It can also stress any relationship with neighbours- which may or may not be an issue for you.

Finally, dust is a fact of life during such a project.

HTH

Thanks. The 4m extension section should not need planning, but garage might do.  :-\

I would get someone involved from start for plans, finding a decent builder would be biggest concern.

I have been investigating my own extension - 4m single storey out the back of the house in to the garden.  I have no doubt that I would be quoted about 45-50k for this by a professional company so about 60k once they fudge the final figure update their estimate as they go along.

I sat down and costed it with my father who has just completed a 2 sided 2 storey extension on a house in London and if I Project-managed it myself and used a bricky mate (local to us both) and did a few of the easier jobs myself it would come in at about 12-15k including the full width concertina door at the far end of the room (on to the garden)

You dont have to do the work yourself, just get the experts in to do the difficult bits of parts which are best suited to those with the necessary skills ;)

See this is where costs are saved, no bricky mates here and zero time to project manage this. Would have to be someone to draw up plans and project manage it all end to end, which would wack up the costs.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2017, 14:00:22 by tunnie »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2017, 16:30:43 »

Could we be witnessing the final stages of conversion to a true VAG driver?

Sufficiently disinterested, he finally converts his garage into a kitchen. ;D

;)

I must say, I'd be wary of converting too much space into living area at the expense of storage. 2 houses up our road have had every inch of space converted into accommodation, including loft and garage. One to accommodate a disabled family member on the ground floor - fair enough, and another to turn around quickly for a profit, I expect. The former must have been on the market for a year before it sold and the other has been on the market for a good 9 months.

Not sure Id be interested, but maybe I have more junk than most. :-X
« Last Edit: 07 August 2017, 16:33:56 by Kevin Wood »
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2017, 16:46:32 »

Could we be witnessing the final stages of conversion to a true VAG driver?

Yeah, it does not need any work doing to it, it just works  :P  ;D ;D

This is plan B, I can see in few years us moving to something bigger. Want bigger garden, bigger down stairs floor space.

But we love the location, we can walk into town and so many other things are within walking distance. But who knows with brexit? Chap in the close has his house on the market, watching that with interest. As if property market stalls, nothing sells/buys, making some big changes down stairs would work for us.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2017, 16:49:10 »

I must say, I'd be wary of converting too much space into living area at the expense of storage. 2 houses up our road have had every inch of space converted into accommodation, including loft and garage. One to accommodate a disabled family member on the ground floor - fair enough, and another to turn around quickly for a profit, I expect. The former must have been on the market for a year before it sold and the other has been on the market for a good 9 months.

*Checks Zoopla, as Alton is a contender for next location  :y

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 August 2017, 16:50:36 »

Im a BCO I shudder when someone says they will project manage a job, ;D most people cant organise trades to arrive on time when materials are on site,
I recall one house where it was plastered as thats when they were booked in, BEFORE the first fix wires and plumbing were in, everything was surface mounted,

also you need a good grasp of how it all fits together.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 August 2017, 18:19:45 »

......finding a decent builder would be biggest concern.

This is the tricky bit, especially if you're not on your home turf where you know all the builders/tradesmen, as you probably went to school with most of them!  ::)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 August 2017, 18:19:55 »

Is the garage separate or integral?

I'd suggest if separate, will need demolishing and new, more appropriate foundations.

I don't think you'll see ROI on it TBH...
Grumpy old man

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 August 2017, 18:51:30 »

I'd reckon at about £1k to £1.5 per sq m for the extension plus probably 5-10 for the garage conversion.  so around the 50k mark at a guess

as to planning, unless you've had permitted development rights removed then as long as you are extending your original house then you should be fine.  You can go further under extended pd ( 8m) if neighbours don't object.  as to the garage, the issue will be getting the insulation values up as much as anything. then it stuffs floor height and ceiling height.  Walls are not so bad to deal with

Beware architects recommending builders - there is usually some financial relationship between them at your expense.  far better to seek quotes and references.

if the extension is simple, draw plans yourself - you probably need more input to get building plan approval, but I'd look for support from an engineer as much as anyone else (my experience of architects is not good)

parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.