Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: For those who have done extensions...  (Read 7836 times)

aaronjb

Re: For those who have done extensions...
« Reply #30 on: 10 August 2017, 10:44:31 »

I wouldn't have bought this house if it didn't come with at least a double garage - the fact that it came with a double and a single were what sold it (to me); I wouldn't even consider a house without a garage.

I'm hopeful that people are finally coming back 'round to that way of thinking and will stop converting garages to play-rooms and the like.

To (mis) quote Nike: Just don't do it! ;)

In reality it's your house and your money so you're entirely free to ignore anyone here and do what you like with your garage! I'm just worried that in 10 years time my only option for a house with a decent amount of workshop space is going to be to build my own or move to the middle of America/Australia/<insert other large sparsely populated countries here> :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10 August 2017, 11:09:50 »

Thing is I can see myself doing less and less DIY car work, to the point I do none. I had a requirement for a garage, much to MrsT's annoyance  ;D

But now, the bike has gone, I'm struggling to find time for car DIY. I've had couple jobs on the to do list for several months now, when the 3.2 is replaced with a mummy bus of some sorts (Hurry up Fox deal!) - That will probably be dealer serviced. (Yes, yes I know) - I might do the odd air-filter change and such. But no more serious work  :-\  :(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 August 2017, 11:19:12 »

You've got much bigger issues then.

A garage is far more than somewhere to keep the car. But it's an argument you won't win unless you genuinely want to.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lincs Robert

« Reply #33 on: 10 August 2017, 12:41:23 »

A cellar is useful, or would appear to be - mines full of junk  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 August 2017, 12:55:34 »

I'd love a cellar, kit that out as a Cinema room  8)

Or if not suitable, storage lots of wine  8)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10 August 2017, 14:28:46 »

A French friend of mine made a service pit in his garage with built-in wine racks either side. The pit has a wooden cover when not in use to keep it cool. 8) 8) 8)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 August 2017, 14:37:00 »

Imaginative  8)
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #37 on: 10 August 2017, 14:59:50 »

Then, when things are going badly in the garage (as they inevitably do at some point or other) - easy access to the libation of choice to ease the pain! ;D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 August 2017, 15:57:17 »

Lots of work to convert garages to the correct standard and they are rarely an ideal shape and size to be truly useful.

I feel the biggest problem here is that you are dealing with what you already have, NOT what you actually want, as you are restricted by what is already there.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11 August 2017, 18:20:40 »

Tunnie - as regards your project and in terms of budget I think you have to decide what the main priority is.

If it is a kitchen then planning that at first is a must and you will be surprised how costs mount - there are all sorts of corners you can cut but if you want granite or quartz surfaces/upstands or high spec appliances or floor covering etc then you need a lot of detail plus round our way water softeners possibly. You have seen our kitchen and we decided on new electrics/consumer unit , renew plumbing etc.

If it is just more space and a modest kitchen then your budget maybe ok but if you are going through this upheaval then make sure the quality of kitchen is not something you regret afterwards.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11 August 2017, 18:25:44 »

Also my son did a big job on his kitchen as well taking half his double garage as a playroom and to extend kitchen - acrows all over the place. If you want details of his builder then pm me - but do not use his floor covering guy - cheaper quote than the guys we use, but a terrible job given to contractors who were in a rush. Luckily he had not paid the floor covering shop and he was able to deduct rectification work from a different contractor. A lot of grief on this. The plumber he used was a bit iffy but sort of ok.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11 August 2017, 18:35:57 »

Also my son did a big job on his kitchen as well taking half his double garage as a playroom and to extend kitchen - acrows all over the place. If you want details of his builder then pm me.

Thanks, think I will. Sounds like my job would be similar, assume he was happy with all the main building work? - Is he local-ish?

Having a known and good builder is one of my biggest concerns.

Tunnie - as regards your project and in terms of budget I think you have to decide what the main priority is.

It's mainly to make the downstairs work better, MrsT likes and I do as well the idea of kitchen/dinner space. Having been up to the in-laws many times, they have a kitchen with large table in the middle, it works really well, the kitchen really is hub of the home. We want to replicate that as our family grows, but the question is do we have to move or can I do that here?

Need to balance what it could cost, vs benefit, vs moving, vs what schools are good. There is a lot to consider!

Lincs Robert

« Reply #42 on: 11 August 2017, 19:34:24 »

You wouldn't like my cellar for very long - don't think you could stand up in it. I'm 5 10 & have about half an inch clearance as I walk around.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 12 February 2018, 14:23:55 »

Brining this back, as I'm seriously considering this as an option now. Mortgage deal comes to an end this year, looking at current rates available, I could obtain a decent budget to do some work, while still paying the same per month I do now for a fixed 5 year period.

Looking to simply the work, a simple 3.5x4m extension. Bulldoze the conservatory and burn the bloody thing. Replace foundations for proper extension, re-use the doors/windows into conservatory currently and put on the end the extension. (they are external grade)

Any big difference between say single pitch roof e.g. leaning to one side only (not an A pitch) and a flat roof with one of those glass things on top to let in light?

Any ideas for cost? This would be under permitted development, so no planning. I also would need everything handled, with me only doing the painting.  ;D

I've got a few builders locally I want to try for quotes, some recommended by here, others i've seen doing work locally.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 12 February 2018, 17:14:54 »

Just a thought. Do used conservatories have a second hand value? I am guessing not if you keep the door. 
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 18 queries.