Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rarer than an Omega  (Read 4670 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Rarer than an Omega
« on: 21 November 2017, 12:48:19 »

Spotted one of the rarest cars on the road now just South of Ashford, a P Reg Ford Scorpio in black! :o :o

Never popular, but it is amazing how they disappeared so fast ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Rarer than an Omega
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2017, 12:54:52 »

Do you refer to the Ford that was repeatedly beaten with the ugly stick, Lizzie? :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2017, 12:57:50 »

If memory serves some came with a Cosworth lump.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2017, 13:30:07 »

And very well they went too,interior was a nice place to be but the outside,well :o
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2017, 13:44:17 »

Do you refer to the Ford that was repeatedly beaten with the ugly stick, Lizzie? :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

That's the one, with two sorrowful eyes! :D :D ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2017, 13:57:41 »

That's the one, with two sorrowful eyes! :D :D ;)

Yes. Certainly no oil painting, and painful to look at for those of us blessed with the gift of sight. ;) :-* :-* :-*

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2017, 15:08:30 »

.. with the wiring loom that runs down the vee and disintegrates, resulting in an early appointment with the crusher. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2017, 17:03:21 »

Lovely comfy car, the real upside was that you couldn,t see how fugly it was while you were sitting in it. Downside though was that sooner or later you had to get out of it. ;D Loved my three Grannies though.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2017, 17:11:08 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-granada-scorpio-estate-Barn-find/222725361982?hash=item33db77513e:g:e7YAAOSwyYFaEZJt

Here's one :-X

A barn find it says, and it looks like it.  The loom has burnt out (as Kevin touched on in his post) but a "new" Cosworth engine from Ford in 2002 for £6,000!!

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, even at £500! ::) ::) ;D ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 November 2017, 17:56:20 »

I used to have one, they wernt all cosworths although mine was, Ulitima 2.9 V6 Aspirated, made a lovely noise when you gunned it, about 204 BHP from memory, They were all Autos with an Overdrive, if you put it in Sports Mode and floored it, you could actually get MPG Computer down to about 1.7 mpg  ;D :D, you couldn't really drive too far for fear of it breaking down, as Kevin says normally a Wiring issue, despite it being a Cossie Lump they were heavy cars, a looked after Omega 3.0, 3.2 would give it a good run for its money.

The interior on them was nice, specially the Ultimas, sitting in the back with all that arm chair Black Leather was a nice place to be, people use to fight on mine who was going to seat in the Back.  :)

« Last Edit: 21 November 2017, 17:59:30 by zirk »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 November 2017, 19:54:33 »

I've always though Ford leather interiors of that era were the most comfortable. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 November 2017, 22:46:48 »

In that era, i worked for a company that was “tied” to Ford products so we all had Fords.  The MD hated his fully loaded Ultima.

Now wouldnt it be funny if there is a parallel universe with a Scorpioowners.com run by ABoy but with only five members .
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 November 2017, 23:04:01 »

In that era, i worked for a company that was “tied” to Ford products so we all had Fords.  The MD hated his fully loaded Ultima.

Now wouldnt it be funny if there is a parallel universe with a Scorpioowners.com run by ABoy but with only five members .
I think if ABoy was driving one of them he,s Forum name would be TheDad. ;D

On the Cossie Ultima,s Ive always thought they would have sold a lot more if there was a Manual option, just doesnt seem right having a Cosworth Lump with an Auto slush box.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 November 2017, 23:12:36 »

Why does everyone only ever remember the fugliest car in the world .. the frog eyed scorpio .. when its predecessor was an excellent, practical, and driveable piece of kit .. and quite nice to look at ....

I always thought it was the best towcar I would ever have ..... until I towed with the Omega ...    :y :y :y

« Last Edit: 21 November 2017, 23:17:50 by Entwood »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2017, 06:37:01 »

I think if ABoy was driving one of them he,s Forum name would be TheDad. ;D

On the Cossie Ultima,s Ive always thought they would have sold a lot more if there was a Manual option, just doesnt seem right having a Cosworth Lump with an Auto slush box.

they were hardly rare cars. And just how many manual 3.0l Elite Omegas did Vauxhall sell?
Cosworth developed Hart's 24v heads into a torquey street engine just like Ford wanted.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 November 2017, 07:51:51 »

Other than the 3.2 Omega traded in at local Ford stealers under the scrappage scheme there has also been an E reg Granada[albeit in 2Lguise]traded under the same scheme.It looked to be in very good nick bodily too.As for the Scorpio it was said they handled better and were comfier than the Granada,but I don't know how true that was.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2017, 08:28:38 »

Why does everyone only ever remember the fugliest car in the world .. the frog eyed scorpio .. when its predecessor was an excellent, practical, and driveable piece of kit .. and quite nice to look at ....

I always thought it was the best towcar I would ever have ..... until I towed with the Omega ...    :y :y :y

Mine of that shape was just the humble 2l Ghia with the old Pinto engine. Looked good in diamond white and the RS tailgate spoiler. Damn good tow car too, as Entwood said. :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2017, 08:36:01 »

Also to add that a few days after i got my first Omega that i saw an Ultima for sale. Was very tempted to get it, but so glad i didn,t. :y. Must be about 12yrs ago now. :o How time flies. :-[

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 November 2017, 14:27:48 »

Other than the 3.2 Omega traded in at local Ford stealers under the scrappage scheme there has also been an E reg Granada[albeit in 2Lguise]traded under the same scheme.It looked to be in very good nick bodily too.As for the Scorpio it was said they handled better and were comfier than the Granada,but I don't know how true that was.

From my experience the were comfier but, I found handling pretty poor, not as bad as the 8 series Rovers, but certainly not great

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 November 2017, 17:57:55 »

The Scorpio before the fugly bug eye was a very comfy and entirely chuckable car from a Trafpol point of view. Preferred the hatch to the saloon but both had very comfortable seats, especially the compilots one on motorway night Shift!  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 November 2017, 18:09:50 »

A mate had a hatchback pre frog eyed one, and it was a nice enough place to be a passenger.  His was underpowered, though I forget which engine it had, and we've long since lost touch  :'(. The low power and heavy car made it a less satisfying car to drive.

Bro had a proper Grandad for a while, Mk2 2.8i Ghia, which was a very nice car to driven around in in its day, and went well (by the then standards). It was just too unreliable, so he replaced it with a Chavalier SRi 130, which as we know was bombproof.
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 November 2017, 18:45:27 »

A mate had a hatchback pre frog eyed one, and it was a nice enough place to be a passenger.  His was underpowered, though I forget which engine it had, and we've long since lost touch  :'(. The low power and heavy car made it a less satisfying car to drive.

Bro had a proper Grandad for a while, Mk2 2.8i Ghia, which was a very nice car to driven around in in its day, and went well (by the then standards). It was just too unreliable, so he replaced it with a Chavalier SRi 130, which as we know was bombproof.
Ive had a few them as well, plus the younger 1.8, 8 Valve jobbies, really used to love my ones, you use to have to rag the revs and get them in the right gear to shift properly, but once you mastered that they were really nippy, even by today's standard, not bad for a little 115/130 Bhp lumps.  :y

The one I really would have liked was the Cav 2.0 GSi, think they were 150Bhp from memory, but after a time used to see most of them parked up on the Hard Shoulders   :(  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 November 2017, 18:49:00 »

think they were 150Bhp from memory, but after a time used to see most of them parked up on the Hard Shoulders   :(  :-\
SOunds like the redtops. A powerful motor, with occasional niggles, but still well regarded in the reliability stakes :y
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 November 2017, 18:55:34 »

think they were 150Bhp from memory, but after a time used to see most of them parked up on the Hard Shoulders   :(  :-\
SOunds like the redtops. A powerful motor, with occasional niggles, but still well regarded in the reliability stakes :y
I was in the process of buying one back around 2003, Metallic Grey, I suppose it was a case of Ive all ways fancied one, when a Black RWD Cossie Sapphire come up for not much more money, so it was a bit of a no brainier which one to buy in the end.  :)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 November 2017, 19:00:14 »

Aye, porous heads on some of them, can't remember if it was the Coscast ones or the GM ones now.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 November 2017, 07:55:52 »

GM ones, you fixed it by inserting a short length of tubing into one of the water galleries.  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 November 2017, 08:33:22 »

Plenty of XEs still running round in kit cars, if not in their original applications.

180 BHP just for swapping to Weber carbs, and more with throttle bodies, without even a change of cams, so it's not hard to see why.

They do seem prone to the odd "catastrophic failure" but then most are putting out a bit more power than GM intended. I've seen a slightly more breathed-on example make over 300 BHP on Emerald's rolling road. :o

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 November 2017, 10:05:52 »

Ive had a few them as well, plus the younger 1.8, 8 Valve jobbies, really used to love my ones, you use to have to rag the revs and get them in the right gear to shift properly, but once you mastered that they were really nippy, even by today's standard, not bad for a little 115/130 Bhp lumps.  :y

The one I really would have liked was the Cav 2.0 GSi, think they were 150Bhp from memory, but after a time used to see most of them parked up on the Hard Shoulders   :(  :-\

I had two 1.8l and a 2.0l Cavalier SRi`s and I loved them, reliable and quite quick but were just so easy to work on, I did a clutch change in an hour on one of them. I still have the slide hammer and input shaft adapter and the three clips for the friction disc and clutch plate.

Lincs Robert

« Reply #29 on: 24 November 2017, 08:56:37 »

I have several GSi Cavs, all courtesy of Vx as worked for a GM group company. We were supposed to hand them back with less than 9k - so they could go out via Network Q. I “accidentally” forgot with one of mine and got a phone call from the fleet manager demanding I took mine back - it had 25k on when it went  :-[ unfortunately the replacement was a Cav Turbo, which was basically a GSi 4x4 with the turbocharged red top engine. Went like stink, but was what’s called in the trade a “misbuild”, and had to be brought upto the correct spec by a dealer. They had fitted LHD headlights and seats in the factory! It wasn’t that reliable either, the 4WD system kept failing and would default to FWD - which was fun

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 24 November 2017, 10:08:06 »

I have several GSi Cavs, all courtesy of Vx as worked for a GM group company. We were supposed to hand them back with less than 9k - so they could go out via Network Q. I “accidentally” forgot with one of mine and got a phone call from the fleet manager demanding I took mine back - it had 25k on when it went  :-[ unfortunately the replacement was a Cav Turbo, which was basically a GSi 4x4 with the turbocharged red top engine. Went like stink, but was what’s called in the trade a “misbuild”, and had to be brought upto the correct spec by a dealer. They had fitted LHD headlights and seats in the factory! It wasn’t that reliable either, the 4WD system kept failing and would default to FWD - which was fun

Ah yes..... Memories. I remember wanting the Calibra Turbo. I still think it looks great. :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.