Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Headlights . .  (Read 7998 times)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Re: Headlights . .
« Reply #15 on: 28 November 2017, 18:08:21 »

Having done loads of headlamps, I can't agree with using compound before wet&dry to save elbow grease.

A few strokes of 1000grit paper with soapy water actually moves the grot off the lens, and then you can use the compound to do what it is designed for: making a smooth, clear finish. It's no work at all to refinish by hand a small plastic surface like a headlamp. 10 minutes tops. Still attached to the car, in the dark.

So, are you saying use 1000 paper + water first, and then the kit ? I don't mind a bit of elbow grease, I just want a decent result.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 November 2017, 18:16:35 »

Having done loads of headlamps, I can't agree with using compound before wet&dry to save elbow grease.

A few strokes of 1000grit paper with soapy water actually moves the grot off the lens, and then you can use the compound to do what it is designed for: making a smooth, clear finish. It's no work at all to refinish by hand a small plastic surface like a headlamp. 10 minutes tops. Still attached to the car, in the dark.

So, are you saying use 1000 paper + water first, and then the kit ? I don't mind a bit of elbow grease, I just want a decent result.

Always. If you have to buy paper, get some 1200 or 1500 as well. A sheet of each will be enough for several cars; I would expect change from a quid. I wouldn't buy a kit to do this, as it's an expensive way to buy small quantities of products that I already have. And as I've posted many times, I don't see any need to complicate things by using power tools to do the job.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 November 2017, 18:17:16 »

Recently did mine and the clit's for MOT purposes .. 1000 grit, followed by 1500, followed by 2000, then farclar G3 paste ... came up lovely . :)  seems a tad strange making them REALLY cloudy with 1000 grit, but it works ... :)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 November 2017, 18:30:26 »

I don't use a kit of any sort as such. I use fine grit Daisy Pads with plenty of water sprayed from a plant sprayer. When I'm happy that I've been over all of it I wash and wipe them off and then use prep polish on my variable speed polisher. The first time I did them by hand with equally good results but I find it quicker and easier using the polisher. As mentioned, do not stay in one place for too long if using a machine polisher. It doesn't take long to get good results using this method.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 November 2017, 19:04:14 »

which sounds a bit scary to me with a risk of ruining them.
They're breaked anyway ;)

. . . ever the optimist   ;D
Sorry, what I meant is they are knackered, so don't be scared, as nothing to lose :y

I suspect a good going over with the 3M kit (which is what I use because its easy) or various. ever finer grades of wet&dry, followed by a polish, will bring them up as new...   ...and if it doesn't, what have you lost?

;)
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 November 2017, 19:06:16 »

At risk of repeating myself...

The headlights on my Volvo XC70 are incredibly dim, at night on unlit roads I use the spotlights.

The covers/lenses seem to be plastic not glass and are opaque and rough to the touch. I've read about various methods of cleaning, polishing etc, some of them using sandpaper which sounds a bit scary to me with a risk of ruining them. Sandpaper, toothpase, bicarb, specific kits, brasso, God knows what else

Any sensible suggestions ?  SAME AS THE OMEGA... TRY G3 compound and elbow grease before digging out the wet and dry.

And is the opaqueness actually the cause of the dimness ? ON A VOLVO, Yes.
Apologies for shouting, but it's a bit noisy here ::) ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 28 November 2017, 19:11:33 »

I noticed, while I was in ECP last week, that 3M do a kit for cleaning them. But someone will be along to rubbish that in a minute.

What the hell were you doing there, got lost???
A mate wanted the cambelt doing on his V12, and I had a couple of hours spare.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 November 2017, 18:14:23 »

I noticed, while I was in ECP last week, that 3M do a kit for cleaning them. But someone will be along to rubbish that in a minute.

It`s a good kit, I got one a couple years ago  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 November 2017, 18:31:32 »

I concur. Sure, buying some w&d might be cheaper, but the 3m kit is complete, easy, clear instructions, and my preferred option
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 November 2017, 18:50:08 »

I concur. Sure, buying some w&d might be cheaper, but the 3m kit is complete, easy, clear instructions, and my preferred option

Agreed. You do pay a premium for it being so easy, like the drill attachment. Not sure I'd fancy doing it manually, the drill attachment makes it a doddle and nice little job  :)

STEMO

« Reply #25 on: 29 November 2017, 19:50:55 »

Two pages to get back to where we where in post #2.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 November 2017, 20:24:41 »

But note that we`re not rubbishing it  :P

STEMO

« Reply #27 on: 29 November 2017, 20:32:25 »

But note that we`re not rubbishing it  :P
Don’t care if you do. I’m always right, ask my missus.  :)

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 November 2017, 08:44:24 »

Any results to report yet?

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 November 2017, 09:46:58 »

Any results to report yet?

Nope. No time yet, crap weather, and a busy work weekend ahead. I don't want to rush it
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 18 queries.