Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: XC 60 - oil change question  (Read 8481 times)

Lincs Robert

XC 60 - oil change question
« on: 17 December 2017, 10:31:19 »

My new XC now has almost 3k miles on the clock, and is reporting its first service due in another 15k miles. That’s far too long in my opinion - so I’m going to change the oil early. Question is, at what mileage do I change it? It’s not cheap oil, 0-30 FS Edge stuff, which will cost about £70 for a change. So not the sort of thing I want to do willy nilly - which the availability of cheap TC oil allows. There’s not much interest on the Volvo forums about this, but people do report the 2.4 D 5 pots going to mega miles on standard oil change intervals, i.e 18k. Thoughts?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: XC 60 - oil change question
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2017, 10:46:32 »

Think I’d be looking at no more than 6k  :-\ Although whilst under warranty you need to be careful about doing anything other than manufacturers spec ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2017, 10:51:51 »

I'm surprised that there is not an initial service at about 5-6k?  :-\

Too be honest though whilst it's under warranty I'd stick to the manufacturers service recommendations and wouldn't worry about it.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lincs Robert

« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2017, 11:12:18 »

Both goods points, thanks.

My thoughts were an initial oil change at perhaps 6k. That should get rid of anything from the manufacturing process / running in period. I was going to suck the old oil out from the dipstick using my Pela vacuum pump & the put the exact same amount of fresh oil, of the same type, in - without a filter change, or taking the sump plug out. Not ideal I know, but it then won’t leave any tell-tale signs when it does go to a dealers @ 18k.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2017, 11:22:38 »

No mainstream manufacturer suggests that anymore, as it's suicidal to them.

Too be honest though whilst it's under warranty I'd stick to the manufacturers service recommendations and wouldn't worry about it.  ;)
If manufacturer spec parts are used, no issues in servicing more frequently.

OP - How many miles do you expect to do in a year, as if its around your target for oil servicing, then just run an annual intermediate style service on it, and leaving the main/major service at Volvo schedules.
Grumpy old man

Lincs Robert

« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2017, 12:15:48 »

OP - How many miles do you expect to do in a year, as if its around your target for oil servicing, then just run an annual intermediate style service on it, and leaving the main/major service at Volvo schedules.

I am probably doing 18k a year.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2017, 12:43:23 »

Personally while under warranty I would stick with what they recommend , after that do whenever you think necessary.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2017, 12:48:30 »

If it's petrol, then I wouldn't worry about it - that's what modern fully synthetic oil is meant for.

Diesels are another matter; I wouldn't run it past half the recommended interval without a change.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2017, 12:51:55 »

Personally while under warranty I would stick with what they recommend , after that do whenever you think necessary.

Issue being problems start after warranty period, if you follow their schedule.

I’d either DIY change via dip stick (or dedicated tube?) or ring a few Volvo mains and indies for a quote. If using manufacture specified oil, no issues with warranty  :y

2boxerdogs

« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2017, 13:31:38 »

Issue being problems start after warranty period, if you follow their schedule.

I’d either DIY change via dip stick (or dedicated tube?) or ring a few Volvo mains and indies for a quote. If using manufacture specified oil, no issues with warranty  :y

Had several new vehicles over the years all serviced as per schedule never experienced any problems.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 December 2017, 13:44:33 »

I'd be very wary of doing anything that invalidates the warranty.  ::)

I bet when Jimmy gave his car back to BMW they went over it with a fine toothcomb and had they found any evidence that he had been tinkering with the car himself, they would have rejected his warranty claim.  ;)

Tunnies suggestion of getting a Volvo dealer to do it insn't a bad idea, or if you DIY then use the exactly the same oil and leave no trace.  You'd kick yourself if the car develops a problem and Volvo reject your warranty claim because you've serviced it yourself.  ::)

If Volvo say the first service is at 18k then I'd keep my money dry until then.  :y

2boxerdogs

« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2017, 13:52:55 »

I bet when Jimmy gave his car back to BMW they went over it with a fine toothcomb and had they found any evidence that he had been tinkering with the car himself, they would have rejected his warranty claim.  ;)

Tunnies suggestion of getting a Volvo dealer to do it insn't a bad idea, or if you DIY then use the exactly the same oil and leave no trace.  You'd kick yourself if the car develops a problem and Volvo reject your warranty claim because you've serviced it yourself.  ::)

If Volvo say the first service is at 18k then I'd keep my money dry until then.  :y

Agreed entirely, problems usually occur after neglect follow the recommended schedule & you won't go wrong.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2017, 13:55:48 »

Agreed entirely, problems usually occur after neglect follow the recommended schedule & you won't go wrong.

Sorry, disagree. Especially if a diesel.

Omega schedule is oil changes 20k, we know full well what impact that has. I do mine every year or every 5-8k ish.

The schedules are more about fleet maintenance costs, what ever the official schedule is, half it at least.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2017, 14:05:20 »

^^^Wot e sed, I believe this battle was fought and won by Indies many years ago, that warranty is not invalidated provided that Manufacturers spec/parts are used. I do not believe that they could use the argument that it had been serviced early as a warranty denial excuse. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2017, 14:09:04 »

^^^Wot e sed, I believe this battle was fought and won by Indies many years ago, that warranty is not invalidated provided that Manufacturers spec/parts are used. I do not believe that they could use the argument that it had been serviced early as a warranty denial excuse. :y

I suspect they could and would if they suspected it had been DIY'd whilst in warranty.  ;)

It'll cost you a lot more if the car develops a problem and you've invalidated your warranty.  :(

2boxerdogs

« Reply #15 on: 17 December 2017, 14:19:05 »

At the end of the day oils are vastly improved compared to years ago , you have a quality car in the Volvo I have a colleague at work who has an older one than yours covers at least 20,000 miles a year & the dealership has serviced it from new, the car has never missed a beat & is in superb condition.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 December 2017, 15:54:49 »

Oil, like most fluids we put in our cars, starts to break down from the second it goes it.

Up until about 5 years ago there was no oil manufacturer who would guarantee certain properties of their product would still be met after 7000 miles in a fairly high performance, though NA, engine.  Given that info, I would not consider sticking to manufacturers schedules, that are not their to prolong the life of the engine, they are there to be the absolute minimum to get the car through its warranty period.

In a turbocharged car, which all diesels are now, and more and more small petrols are, you are destroying the oil faster.

The Independents, as has been stated, won the argument about non dealer servicing years ago. DIY follows the same route, it would be up to the manufacturer to prove that it was an error in the servicing AND that you were not competent.  The grey areas might be if a non genuine part that was fitted failed, as the car manufacturer could claim reasonable diagnostic costs.

As said previously, if ultra concerned about the arguments over warranty, take it to a Volvo dealer for an oil change only, though will probably cost £100-150.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 December 2017, 16:00:32 »

I suspect they could and would if they suspected it had been DIY'd whilst in warranty.  ;)

It'll cost you a lot more if the car develops a problem and you've invalidated your warranty.  :(

Sorry, don't agree, I've actually discussed this once many moons ago with a main dealer service manager, who reluctantly agreed that I was correct, and that as long as it is done as per spec. etc. warranty remains valid. I do agree that they may try to wriggle, but when push came to shove they would back down. :y

2boxerdogs

« Reply #18 on: 17 December 2017, 16:15:30 »

Or go back to an old Omega & worry about sweet fa.😁

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 December 2017, 17:13:16 »

The servicing to keep up warranty must be carried out by a VAT registered garage using OE equivalent parts.  ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 December 2017, 17:37:31 »

The servicing to keep up warranty must be carried out by a VAT registered garage using OE equivalent parts.  ;)

Indeed, but as long as you've done that as a minimum, additional services can be done on any basis as long as you don't make a horse's @rse of it, surely? ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 December 2017, 17:45:20 »

I suspect they could and would if they suspected it had been DIY'd whilst in warranty. ;)

Yes indeed.  With all new car dealer warranties as soon as anyone else, DIY'er or non-dealer garage touch the car in any way, your warranty is invalidated. It is not worth the risk, so just let the dealer do the specified work.  As it is a new car, wasn't there a service agreement for 3 years thrown in?  The first service was always free in my day, but they were company fleet cars. :y

Lincs Robert

« Reply #22 on: 17 December 2017, 18:02:56 »

I suspect they could and would if they suspected it had been DIY'd whilst in warranty. ;)

Yes indeed.  With all new car dealer warranties as soon as anyone else, DIY'er or non-dealer garage touch the car in any way, your warranty is invalidated. It is not worth the risk, so just let the dealer do the specified work.  As it is a new car, wasn't there a service agreement for 3 years thrown in?  The first service was always free in my day, but they were company fleet cars. :y

It was pre-registered, so new but not new (10 miles on clock). I enquired about service packages - they are only available to new purchasers or on used cars if you take the dealer finance package - which I didn’t.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #23 on: 17 December 2017, 18:13:04 »

It was pre-registered, so new but not new (10 miles on clock). I enquired about service packages - they are only available to new purchasers or on used cars if you take the dealer finance package - which I didn’t.

When I bought my Mazda 626 in 2001 it was pre registered 45 miles on the clock I got the service package at £36 per month, that was from a Mazda dealership, was yours from a car supermarket or main dealer ? No finance involved.

Lincs Robert

« Reply #24 on: 17 December 2017, 18:44:36 »

When I bought my Mazda 626 in 2001 it was pre registered 45 miles on the clock I got the service package at £36 per month, that was from a Mazda dealership, was yours from a car supermarket or main dealer ? No finance involved.

Main dealer. Yes, service packages are available for a fixed monthly payment as you suggest - but I can’t see the advantage of them. The service deals available to some buyers however, offer say 2 years servicing for £199, which is a good deal - but not available to me unfortunately......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 December 2017, 18:58:53 »

And the dealer service packages are worth less than, to quote a posh bloke I used to work with, a used condom smeared in dogshit.

In this specific case, it would only get done at the manufacturer silly intervals.  And secondly, most main dealers are too incompetent/lazy/tight to be trusted to service cars.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 December 2017, 19:52:17 »

No this is incorrect Lizzie.  It used to be the case, but the law has changed that you can have your car serviced at a VAT registered garage and as long as they use genuine parts, it dosn't affect your warranty.  ;)

Some here seem to think that you can DIY with genuine parts as well and not affect your warranty, but I certainly wouldn't want to test that.  ::)

I'll be interested to see what Jimmy has to say on this subject as he has to be our resident expert on warranty issues!  :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 December 2017, 22:19:13 »

If it's petrol, then I wouldn't worry about it - that's what modern fully synthetic oil is meant for.

Diesels are another matter; I wouldn't run it past half the recommended interval without a change.

I'm with Nick :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 December 2017, 08:56:50 »

If all your looking to do, is change the oil and filter for peace of mind, then just go and buy a filter from Volvo, and a quality oil, and change it, you don't have to inform any body,
Regular oil changes never hurt a car, just do it, and stop faffing about :P
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 December 2017, 17:59:06 »

If all your looking to do, is change the oil and filter for peace of mind, then just go and buy a filter from Volvo, and a quality oil, and change it, you don't have to inform any body,
Being a modern soot chucker, it has to be the right spec to protect the DPF nowadays.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18 December 2017, 18:42:13 »

First job of the spring is change the oil in the Zafira, all the short runs it's doing will kill the oil and sludge up. So aiming for at least yearly changes. Had oil change when I bought it, so will do one in spring time.

If I can figure out how, lack of videos on the tube for Zaf Tourer 2.0 CDTi, might have to use Insignia as reference.  :-\

Lincs Robert

« Reply #31 on: 18 December 2017, 18:45:30 »

Being a modern soot chucker, it has to be the right spec to protect the DPF nowadays.

Indeed, 0W-30 I’m advised.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 December 2017, 18:48:05 »

First job of the spring is change the oil in the Zafira, all the short runs it's doing will kill the oil and sludge up. So aiming for at least yearly changes. Had oil change when I bought it, so will do one in spring time.

If I can figure out how, lack of videos on the tube for Zaf Tourer 2.0 CDTi, might have to use Insignia as reference.  :-\

There will be a little bung on the bottom of the sump and if you undo it all the oil will fall out!   :P  ::)  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 December 2017, 18:51:49 »

There will be a little bung on the bottom of the sump and if you undo it all the oil will fall out!   :P  ::)  ;D

Well there is that  ;D ;D ::) ::)

Not been under yet, but wondering about under tray and such. But being GM already looks better to jack and axel stand than the VW.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 December 2017, 18:56:21 »

Indeed, 0W-30 I’m advised.
LOL, far, far, FAR more than just that.  Look the Volvo spec up in the handbook and get investigating.  It has to meet a lot of specs, and having a DPF will additionally have to meet one of the many low ash type specs.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18 December 2017, 19:00:10 »

Wonder if GM's standard 10/40 semi is good enough for the bus  :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 December 2017, 19:06:53 »

Stop thread jacking!  :P  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 December 2017, 19:21:27 »

Absolutely, categorically not.  Nor is the old 5W30 dexos2 fully synth, which I believe isn't suitable for any DPF car.
Grumpy old man

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18 December 2017, 20:34:31 »

Go to local factor, get a 0/30w low saps, full fat. 

Most euro 5-6 trucks now use a 5/30 low saps some Iveco use 0/30w low saps.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2017, 20:36:29 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 18 December 2017, 20:46:21 »

No this is incorrect Lizzie.  It used to be the case, but the law has changed that you can have your car serviced at a VAT registered garage and as long as they use genuine parts, it dosn't affect your warranty.  ;)

Some here seem to think that you can DIY with genuine parts as well and not affect your warranty, but I certainly wouldn't want to test that.  ::)

I'll be interested to see what Jimmy has to say on this subject as he has to be our resident expert on warranty issues!  :y

It is always possible I am out of date on this, but I quote a paragraph from the terms and conditions of a BMW warranty:

"If servicing has been carried out by a Non Authorised Workshop, the Authorised BMW Centre and/or BMW Service Authorised Workshop reserve the right to reject any claim where the cause of the defect is due to inadequate servicing or the use of inadequate parts by the Non Authorised Workshop"

Now, does this not support what I stated?  It at least means you would be risking a rejection of any claim for, say, a broken engine component if someone not authorised by BMW has worked on your vehicle, giving them an excuse to do so. The words of Dirty Harry come to mind: "well punk, do you feel lucky...." ;D ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 18 December 2017, 20:53:01 »

It is always possible I am out of date on this, but I quote a paragraph from the terms and conditions of a BMW warranty:

"If servicing has been carried out by a Non Authorised Workshop, the Authorised BMW Centre and/or BMW Service Authorised Workshop reserve the right to reject any claim where the cause of the defect is due to inadequate servicing or the use of inadequate parts by the Non Authorised Workshop"

Now, does this not support what I stated?  It at least means you would be risking a rejection of any claim for, say, a broken engine component if someone not authorised by BMW has worked on your vehicle, giving them an excuse to do so. The words of Dirty Harry come to mind: "well punk, do you feel lucky...." ;D ;D

How old is that BMW warranty though Lizzie?  ???  The law change is fairly recent I think?  :-\

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that BMW havn't changed the wording on their warranties to deter people from taking their cars to indy garages.  ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 18 December 2017, 21:05:10 »

When I bought my VW from car giant, I had it confirmed in writing from them that DIY service did not impact the warrenty. As long as I used correct oils and followed the service schedule.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 18 December 2017, 21:10:57 »

When I bought my VW from car giant, I had it confirmed in writing from them that DIY service did not impact the warrenty. As long as I used correct oils and followed the service schedule.

That wasn't a brand new car though Tunnie and I doubt that you'd get the same from a franchised dealer with a new car.  ;)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 18 December 2017, 21:36:09 »

^^^Wot e sed, I believe this battle was fought and won by Indies many years ago, that warranty is not invalidated provided that Manufacturers spec/parts are used. I do not believe that they could use the argument that it had been serviced early as a warranty denial

How old is that BMW warranty though Lizzie?  ???  The law change is fairly recent I think?  :-\

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that BMW havn't changed the wording on their warranties to deter people from taking their cars to indy garages.  ;)
other rides 

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 18 December 2017, 21:37:59 »

^^^Wot e sed, I believe this battle was fought and won by Indies many years ago, that warranty is not invalidated provided that Manufacturers spec/parts are used. I do not believe that they could use the argument that it had been serviced early as a warranty denial

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_Exemption_Regulation
other rides 

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 18 December 2017, 22:53:10 »

.. or that it was never legally enforceable in the first place.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 19 December 2017, 00:57:19 »

It is the current one found online for BMW ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 19 December 2017, 01:08:30 »

I would also add that back in the day and now it is logical and legally "reasonable" that no main dealer who has a warranty in place for your lovely brand new car is going to put anything right, without an argument, if some grease monkey who hasn't been trained to work on their cars makes a balls up and damages a part. The dealer always has to have full, and sole, responsibity for all servicing during the period of the warranty so it is only them that can be blamed if something goes wrong.

Even if your grease monkey does everything perfectly, the dealer may decline any claim just with the excuse that someone not trained to the standards of their technicians has touched the car. ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 19 December 2017, 08:48:09 »

I would also add that back in the day and now it is logical and legally "reasonable" that no main dealer who has a warranty in place for your lovely brand new car is going to put anything right, without an argument, if some grease monkey who hasn't been trained to work on their cars makes a balls up and damages a part. The dealer always has to have full, and sole, responsibity for all servicing during the period of the warranty so it is only them that can be blamed if something goes wrong.

Even if your grease monkey does everything perfectly, the dealer may decline any claim just with the excuse that someone not trained to the standards of their technicians has touched the car. ;)

Well as Henry has pointed out the law is the law, so BMW's statement is misleading at best and illegal at worst.  ;)  What you say above is probably the opinion of most franchised dealers, but I don't believe it has any legal basis these days, and the dealer would have to prove that your indy garage had screwed up in the event of a warranty claim.  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 19 December 2017, 10:30:24 »

Well as Henry has pointed out the law is the law, so BMW's statement is misleading at best and illegal at worst.  ;)  What you say above is probably the opinion of most franchised dealers, but I don't believe it has any legal basis these days, and the dealer would have to prove that your indy garage had screwed up in the event of a warranty claim.  :y

This year I had to fight a legal claim over a genuine VX part, fitted by Vx technicians at a Vx dealership, with both Vx at Luton and the dealership when neither of them would accept responsibility for a faulty part. I can just imagine the legal fight you would get into fighting your claim with a main dealer for a new engine when someone else has touched the car! ::) ::) :y

Law is the law, but always open to interpretation by clever legal beagles who will charge the earth to fight your case and against your case. ;)
« Last Edit: 19 December 2017, 10:33:32 by Lizzie Zoom »

2boxerdogs

« Reply #50 on: 19 December 2017, 14:40:54 »

Unfortunately that's the cross you have to bear when you buy a new car, always found that it pays to try a build a good relationship with the dealership not always possible I know , the only real problems I had were with Ford. Mazda Nissan, Toyota & Mercedes all been excellent & Hyundai were superb, not forgetting my local Vauxhall dealership when I had the Omega..So probably best to let the dealership do the oil change.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2017, 14:52:06 by Tilbo »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 19 December 2017, 14:52:05 »

This year I had to fight a legal claim over a genuine VX part, fitted by Vx technicians at a Vx dealership, with both Vx at Luton and the dealership when neither of them would accept responsibility for a faulty part. I can just imagine the legal fight you would get into fighting your claim with a main dealer for a new engine when someone else has touched the car! ::) ::) :y

Law is the law, but always open to interpretation by clever legal beagles who will charge the earth to fight your case and against your case. ;)

That is because you are a girlie, Lizzie.

They tend to think you won't make much of a fuss.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 19 December 2017, 15:13:21 »

Whilst the good lords' comment may be tongue in cheek, he has a point :-\

Mum had a similar experience with a then brand new Escort. She bought it from a Caffyns dealer shortly before moving, and subsequently had an issue with the car. Gilbert Rice, a long established Ford dealership failed to do little more than patronise her as Caffyns sold the car with their warranty, not a Ford one :o (may have been pre registered, but certainly not a used car), so Ford refused to accept any responsibility inspite of the problem being a design one >:(

They then proceeded to sell her a year old Fiesta to replace it :-X Suffice to say that she discovered Toyota soon after and never looked back :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 19 December 2017, 15:58:08 »

That is because you are a girlie, Lizzie.

They tend to think you won't make much of a fuss.

And how wrong they were Opti! ;D ;D ;D ;D :y
« Last Edit: 19 December 2017, 15:59:44 by Lizzie Zoom »

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 19 December 2017, 19:35:02 »

Different set up possibly but I know our local Ford stealer has in the past informed customers who wanted to book their cars in for service that it wasn't actually due in terms of either age or mileage,but of course if the customer is insistent then they'll go ahead and do the work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 19 December 2017, 19:48:33 »

Go to local factor, get a 0/30w low saps, full fat. 

Most euro 5-6 trucks now use a 5/30 low saps some Iveco use 0/30w low saps.
There are different variants of low saps, and it would appear the correct one has to be used.  Its not a case of one is better than the next.
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 19 December 2017, 20:36:22 »

Why don't you get your oil filter from Volvo. That way you can do the change without anything looking suspect should a Volvo technician be inspecting your car 👍
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 19 December 2017, 22:37:39 »

I've been getting calls from a Seat dealer regarding my 12 month old leased Ateca, call went along thee lines of how many miles has it done

me: 9k,
them: oh it's definately due a service then we'll get it booked in shall we
me : no problem it's an NHS lease car
them: ok no worries in that case it's due in another year or 10k
me: ::)
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 19 December 2017, 23:43:02 »

Mine gets done every 12.5k, for several reasons, in order of priority:

1. That’s an oil change every 3.5months and I really cba to lie under the car any more frequently
2. The D5 lump is known to do starship mileage on the standard servicing, so I’m really not worried.
3. A’s we live in a pretty temperate climate, it’s not like the oil is used in adverse conditions (-25 in Sweden or +40 in Spain for example) so the oil isn’t going to be performing on the limits of its spec.
4. That’s what Volvo recommend.

If you are going to go DIY, I can link you an eBay seller that I’ve had good experiences with. Genuine Volvo stuff (sealed, holograms on etc) at very good prices.

When all’s said and done I don’t think there are any meaningful studies on how oil degrades over mileage and whether this degradation has any measurable impact on engine life. If there were, in sure someone would have linked them by now. As far as I can tell, there just seems to be a consensus that “x miles/months is too long for oil to be an engine”. So, without any empirical evidence one way or the other, just change it as often as gives you peace of mind. Because that’s all you can definitively say you’re buying.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 20 December 2017, 04:34:00 »

Given that the manufacturers all accept that their engines use X amount of oil per 1,000 km/625 miles, you can reasonably establish the period over which your car will do this... It should be specified in the manual.

ie: a litre every 1,000 km/625 miles engine contains 6 litres of oil, ergo you change the oil and filter every 6,000 km/3,750 miles.

Not suggesting that you actually change the oil in that short a time frame, but you get the idea... ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lincs Robert

« Reply #60 on: 20 December 2017, 05:25:24 »

Why don't you get your oil filter from Volvo. That way you can do the change without anything looking suspect should a Volvo technician be inspecting your car 👍

Interesting point Mr Bear, however- it used to be common practice for manufacturers to mark the factory fitted oil filter in some way to detect this very thing. Vx used to fit black finished oil filters, still marked as VFO93 (or whatever), specifically to tell if a car had an oil change post being built. It wasn’t possible to buy the black filters anywhere else - so the system worked well & trapped people that had gone over miles or time on their first service.

Lincs Robert

« Reply #61 on: 20 December 2017, 05:29:07 »

Mine gets done every 12.5k, for several reasons, in order of priority:

1. That’s an oil change every 3.5months and I really cba to lie under the car any more frequently
2. The D5 lump is known to do starship mileage on the standard servicing, so I’m really not worried.
3. A’s we live in a pretty temperate climate, it’s not like the oil is used in adverse conditions (-25 in Sweden or +40 in Spain for example) so the oil isn’t going to be performing on the limits of its spec.
4. That’s what Volvo recommend.

If you are going to go DIY, I can link you an eBay seller that I’ve had good experiences with. Genuine Volvo stuff (sealed, holograms on etc) at very good prices.

When all’s said and done I don’t think there are any meaningful studies on how oil degrades over mileage and whether this degradation has any measurable impact on engine life. If there were, in sure someone would have linked them by now. As far as I can tell, there just seems to be a consensus that “x miles/months is too long for oil to be an engine”. So, without any empirical evidence one way or the other, just change it as often as gives you peace of mind. Because that’s all you can definitively say you’re buying.

Yes please, could you PM me the details. Ta

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 20 December 2017, 09:07:15 »

Interesting point Mr Bear, however- it used to be common practice for manufacturers to mark the factory fitted oil filter in some way to detect this very thing. Vx used to fit black finished oil filters, still marked as VFO93 (or whatever), specifically to tell if a car had an oil change post being built. It wasn’t possible to buy the black filters anywhere else - so the system worked well & trapped people that had gone over miles or time on their first service.

Dangly berries. I bought 20L trade club oil, and was given x4 black filters, few years ago.
Hoof'land storeman.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 20 December 2017, 09:15:21 »

Indeed. We all get in a tizz over mileage because that's the easy thing to measure. My view is that oil deteriorates mostly due to cold starts and cool running, especially in low temperatures. Once the engine is hot (properly hot - i.e. after 20 minutes fast cruising) the oil probably isn't being degraded much if at all. In fact, moisture and contaminants are being expunged from it by evaporation via the breathers. It's the cars that do a lot of cold starts without getting into that mode of operation that need frequent oil changes. I very much doubt your car does more than 2 cold starts a day and gets plenty of hot running in-between them, so is quite kind on its' oil in comparison to one that just does runs a couple of miles to the shops.

Lincs Robert

« Reply #64 on: 20 December 2017, 15:59:37 »

Dangly berries. I bought 20L trade club oil, and was given x4 black filters, few years ago.

Only repeating what a Vx service manager told me.  :-X

Lincs Robert

« Reply #65 on: 20 December 2017, 16:00:54 »

Indeed. We all get in a tizz over mileage because that's the easy thing to measure. My view is that oil deteriorates mostly due to cold starts and cool running, especially in low temperatures. Once the engine is hot (properly hot - i.e. after 20 minutes fast cruising) the oil probably isn't being degraded much if at all. In fact, moisture and contaminants are being expunged from it by evaporation via the breathers. It's the cars that do a lot of cold starts without getting into that mode of operation that need frequent oil changes. I very much doubt your car does more than 2 cold starts a day and gets plenty of hot running in-between them, so is quite kind on its' oil in comparison to one that just does runs a couple of miles to the shops.

Fair point, my usual shortest trip is about 10 miles.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 20 December 2017, 16:53:39 »

Unsurprisingly, the oil manufacturers do not publish this.  But if you approach them as a car manufacturer (excluding Mercedes ;D) about you actual requirements, you will get more honest answers ;)
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.