Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Thank You Microsoft  (Read 2989 times)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
Re: Thank You Microsoft
« Reply #15 on: 18 December 2017, 21:21:15 »

Sounds like, quite simply, you've corrupted your profile, which is surprisingly common if you let it get too large. Only real cure for corrupted profile is restoring the profile from backup (the recovery options are to get a system working, not really for fixing profiles).

But look on the bright side, my stupid, gay, useless 2017 MacBook has just had to have the 3rd set of 2Gb updates in about the last month...   ...and the bloody thing has only been turned on about 3 times in that time.  Gimme Windoze any day of the week.

A couple of questions then:

How do you corrupt your profile, how does it get to big and how do I prevent it happening in the future?

After all this only happened after the Windows update.
Generally too much shit, installing/uninstalling lots of stuff, loads on desktop, loads in c:\ProgramData.

A lot of your profile is stored in the registry, and the registry is a really piss poor storage system - moreso whe registry cleaners have spilt their milk all over it. That's why MS discourage its use for apps, but developers are inherently lazy.

You can check profile size in Advanced Settings, Advanced, User Profiles.  I too have currently got profile corruption on this laptop I'm using (Old Trusty), as my profile has grown to 9Gb, which is outrageous, but a lot of shite goes through this machine. Sub 200Mb is good.

Nowadays, I don't even bother to recover desktops, just wipe and rebuild.  Takes about 90mins...   ...when I CBA.

That is good to know, I`ll keep an eye on that.

The odd thing is though that I don`t install loads of programs, just the ones I use and keep, I haven`t used a registry cleaner in over ten years and I only have about six things on the desktop  :-\

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
Re: Thank You Microsoft
« Reply #16 on: 19 December 2017, 09:23:06 »

Father in laws laptop had an “update” that crippled his browser Edge. Found no way to fix it, you can’t simply in-install and reinstall it. Left him using an alternative browser.
Of course you can't uninstall/reinstall Edge (or IE) - remember the effort they went to to ensure it was a core part of the OS a few years back, to appease the do-gooders.

I just hope to god it isn't Chrome you put on. Other, more secure options available, as Google (across the board) have not grasped security yet, as is seen on an almost daily basis ;D

My day to day browser on Old Trusty is Edge.  Its a crap browser, but is the fastest, renders well, and the first to have the balls to ban (most) plugins, thus the first wave of reasonably secure ones.  Just what the doctor ordered on a 2007 era laptop ;)

Just looked at mine - 99gb  ::)

Any ways to see what's in it and do some clean-up?  My laptop is a x1 carbon which I use for work, it's still running like a dream, but slightly concerned that now that may soon be about to change :-[
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.