Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd E-mail  (Read 1822 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Odd E-mail
« on: 18 December 2017, 18:57:55 »

Got a strange e-mail[it was sent just before 4p.m. today]it came in on Maureens' e-mail address which I still use a fair bit although she passed away nearly 3yrs ago.Anyway it was headed TSB Online Bank Direct Debit Notification,then it said From TSB and To Recipients but there was no message or link,the rest was just blank.Although Maureen used to do online banking it's not something I've ever used and neither she nor I were/are with TSB.Some sort of scam?If so any ideas what/how? I'll go speak to my bank tomorrow lunch time to make sure nothing dodgy is going off with my account but I don't see how it could be done.

aaronjb

Re: Odd E-mail
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2017, 19:01:27 »

Most likely a failed attempt to craft a phishing email (yes, a scam). They're not always the brightest of bulbs, the folks that send these, and they often come through mangled or completely blank.

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2017, 19:07:50 »

I think it's important to ensure physical closure of redundant bank/credit card etc. a/c's, and to obtain written confirmation, as hackers can apparently gain access and use these details for identity theft etc.  And as the a/c's are no longer used this can go unnoticed for some time.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2017, 19:13:10 »

Her bank account was indeed closed down the day after[well same day as she passed away in the early hours]she passed away and I did in fact get written confirmation of that from her bank,and her bank card was cancelled[she never had a credit card]but yes as you say shyboy such things are important to be remembere and carried out-even at such a stressful time.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2017, 20:16:32 »

I have had numerous emails from banks needing additional information about my account, or a need to verify certain aspects of them.  The interesting thing is they are from banks I have had no dealings with!!

All these emails are scams, as is the one you quote Baza, of various types that are hoping you reply and then they can have a field day raiding your private affairs and robbing you out of money.

There is no way that TSB, or any other bank, would communicate via an emaii, text, or by an unsolicited phone call. It is all done via the post.  Banks have current warnings out on this, with posters and TV information everywhere, but still people (especially the eaderly) are losing tens of thousands of pounds to these scams. ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2017, 20:49:00 »

Move to junk, then delete, then empty the bin :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2017, 21:00:19 »

Lizzie, my bank emails me regularly, including to remind me to do things like read my online statements.

They send me NO post, because I asked them not to.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2017, 21:41:20 »

Lizzie, my bank emails me regularly, including to remind me to do things like read my online statements.

My banks and credit cards are same  :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2017, 00:55:12 »

Yes, they may send those types of emails, but not ones asking for information or verification.  That is what I meant. If you have requested no post, then I suspect you will receive emails asking you to get in touch with the bank / card provider, but, once again, not asking you to take action via a link on an email. ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2017, 09:14:17 »

Email no, but the do text me now and again asking me to reply with "Yes" or "No" to confirm that a transaction was made by me ;)

Other emails from my bank just ask me to log in and take action via their portal and contain vague information like "You have an unread message"

That, of course, is why you should never click on a link in such an email - it's very easy to spoof one - but always go to your browser, type in the address directly, confirm that the SSL certificate is valid and correct so you're not being MITM'd etc..*

*I only do half those things and Information Security is my job.

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2017, 12:42:02 »

Or just never log on to their website  :)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 December 2017, 12:50:22 »

Unless an email claiming to be the bank or similar includes some reasonable identifier like a postcode or something, I just delete, and forget.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 December 2017, 16:58:45 »

Unless an email claiming to be the bank or similar includes some reasonable identifier like a postcode or something, I just delete, and forget.
Would need to be a lot more specific than that.  Names and addresses complete with enail and phone numbers are freely available to any scammer.  Yahoo lost loads, Talktalk lost all theirs, data leaks are frequent.
Grumpy old man

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 December 2017, 02:49:31 »

Would need to be a lot more specific than that.  Names and addresses complete with enail and phone numbers are freely available to any scammer.  Yahoo lost loads, Talktalk lost all theirs, data leaks are frequent.

Correct, so delete anything you aren't expecting especially with any attachments, especially .zip ones. This is tame compared to being on the RU troll frontline and pushing back. ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 December 2017, 02:31:41 »

there is that meany scams its getting annoying, dvla scam passport scam banking. it goes on and on now there is the text scam.  My Mrs had one yesterday from her so called back saying she had made a payment and she needs to log into her account. she said do i have an internet account, said no its just a basic account. checked the senders address and a few tweeks around found it was directed from hong kong, they even use web pages as email address were the web page security is rubbish so becafull of these.   think the best one i had was a parking fine, that was funny, rang the proper number for them and asked,, and they said yes we know our system was hacked. never trust an e-mail or a text if you think its suspect it not to be true. they made it easier now to send them to the company they saying they are just forward it to spoofing@     then the name of the company only thing you really need to know is if its .com or co.uk but .com is most of them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.