Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: front wishbone arms replacement  (Read 2418 times)

COONY

• MANCHESTER
    • OMEGA 2.6 CDx PETROL
    • View Profile
front wishbone arms replacement
« on: 19 December 2017, 08:18:32 »

hi everyone.just had two wishbone arms fitted to front.(mot) ok first week. now has lots of play in steering.am I right in thinking the bushes have to be torqued up again?  so soon after fitting.thanks in advance.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: front wishbone arms replacement
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2017, 12:55:30 »

Serek did mine recently (a member on here) and after 4 wheel alignment, all is perfect - it drives as if on rails! He is in Huntingdon, so well worth the journey if he who fitted your wishbones won't correct yours under warranty.....

Ron.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2017, 13:26:46 »

4 wheel alignment, all is perfect - it drives as if on rails!

Where was this done, Ron?

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2017, 13:48:09 »

Hi James. The place next door to Serek could not adjust camber, so I went to a tyre place near me (they have a Hunter machine). I arranged an OOF dicount with them, but Albs had his done and didn't get a discount, so I need to check with them that the deal is properly in place.
Albs is satisfied with his results, even at the higher price.
The company is Tyre-Smart, on the Witham industrial estate - a family run business with the right attitude to customers, unlike so many we could mention!
I hope you are fit(ish) and well. My best wishes to you and yours for a happy christmas. :y

Ron.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 December 2017, 15:10:48 »

hi everyone.just had two wishbone arms fitted to front.(mot) ok first week. now has lots of play in steering.am I right in thinking the bushes have to be torqued up again?  so soon after fitting.thanks in advance.
Bushes should have been torqued up as in forun guide and not need it again until next wishbone replacement. If lots of steering play has suddenly appeared it suggests bottom wishbone ball joints faulty or something else loose. Take it back to the guy who changed the wishbones and have him locate the play.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2017, 16:12:26 »

It's much more likely to be knackered front bushes caused by poor fitting.

Not that it matters, as the car should go straight back to whoever did the work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2017, 17:23:44 »

Bolts need to be torqued up with the wheels on the ground. If they are done while the car is in the air it tears the front bushes when the weight of the car twists them when lowered. As Nick suggests above, this may well be the problem.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2017, 19:46:17 »

I presumed Haynes instructed, like the Forum guide, that the front bushes should be torqued up with front wheels on the ground. Not so. It merely says 'Hold the arm horizontally and tighten the securing nuts and bolts to the specified torque.' Oh dear.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2017, 20:28:43 »

Does sound like knackered bush,  however I once had a pair of cheap wishbones, one of those 'been on the car 5 minutes, before scrapped' types. (Literally a layer of dust was on them) changed the bushes for poly & genuine GM, left the balljoints.
instantplay, didnt even need a test drive, it was that blatant.  Genuine GM ball joints subsequently fitted.

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

COONY

• MANCHESTER
    • OMEGA 2.6 CDx PETROL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 December 2017, 08:31:55 »

thanks everyone.esp nick.hes right of course.should be taken straight back.regardless of discussion.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 December 2017, 08:36:50 »

I presumed Haynes instructed, like the Forum guide, that the front bushes should be torqued up with front wheels on the ground. Not so. It merely says 'Hold the arm horizontally and tighten the securing nuts and bolts to the specified torque.' Oh dear.
That implies the same thing... also reiterates the point that the front bushes have a very specific orientation.

With the strut in place it is impossible to hold the arm horizontal without the weight of the car on the suspension  ::)

It's not rocket science afterall ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 December 2017, 10:57:13 »

That implies the same thing... also reiterates the point that the front bushes have a very specific orientation.

With the strut in place it is impossible to hold the arm horizontal without the weight of the car on the suspension  ::)

It's not rocket science afterall ;)
Agreed. But next instruction is 'Insert the balljoint in the steering knuckle'. That can't be easy with the front mounting torqued up, but that is the order Haynes does it, presumably based on the Vauxhall workshop manual.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 December 2017, 16:44:17 »

It is no harder than if you've pressed torqued a poly bush... You're levering the arm against the vertical bush not the front one... After all fitting the ball joint is at the limit of suspension travel, so it's arguably designed for it ;)

The important point, regardless of method, only torque the front bush with the weight of the car on the ground :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 December 2017, 17:27:15 »

Unless you've fitted polybushes at the front, in which case it doesn't matter.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.