Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Degree of difficulty?  (Read 2858 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Degree of difficulty?
« on: 26 December 2017, 13:01:34 »

Put washer on today all was good[seemingly]until it hit spin cycle at which time it sounded as though I was washing bricks and the drum[viewed through the door window]was thrashing about in all directions!Immediately turned it off,pulled it from under worktop and took back plate off.Rotating the big wheel by hand I could hear/feel roughness and at certain points it would jam up but could be rotated through this with a bit of effort.Presumably it is the bearing that have gone? If so how difficult is it to change this/these-assuming I can find them available?The machine is a Hotpoint Experience HE7L252 about 4yrs old if that makes a difference.Any help/pointers appreciated.

STEMO

Re: Degree of difficulty?
« Reply #1 on: 26 December 2017, 13:17:41 »

What’s with the striking out? Seems to be quite prevalent at the moment, am I missing something?

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 December 2017, 13:33:13 »

If your capable of servicing your car then you should be capable of changing the bearings in the drum. They can vary in detail from model to model, so might be worth having a look on youtube or similar for details.
Have a look on espares for your parts.
https://www.espares.co.uk/browse/at1085ma808/washing-machines/hotpoint
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 December 2017, 13:44:42 »

I don't know what it is with the striking out either Stemo,it has happened previously to some of my posts but I don't understand if it's something I'm doing inadvertently to make it happen[but what?] or some other reason?Thanks for the pointers migv6

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 December 2017, 13:50:42 »

Its whether its worth the time and effort. being a hotpoint, from personal experience I would save yourself the hassle and stick it in the bin and get a new one. Done the belt, door handle, bearings on one of these for something else to kill it.

Same experience with stupid mobile phones.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 December 2017, 14:31:16 »

I have had Hotpoint's for years, and when they go like yours Baza it is the bearings that have gone.

I have service plan insurance with D&G for all my white goods and cooker, and that has proved very effective and economically sound as when a machine breaks down they just come in and do whatever it takes to make it all as good as new again without cost, apart from the monthly premiums.

With Hotpoint's I have learnt that now they do not just replace the bearing of the drum, but, like so often on our cars, the whole unit complete is installed, drum, bearings and everything else.  It is more cost effective that way. ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 December 2017, 15:24:25 »

I have had Hotpoint's for years, and when they go like yours Baza it is the bearings that have gone.

I have service plan insurance with D&G for all my white goods and cooker, and that has proved very effective and economically sound as when a machine breaks down they just come in and do whatever it takes to make it all as good as new again without cost, apart from the monthly premiums.

With Hotpoint's I have learnt that now they do not just replace the bearing of the drum, but, like so often on our cars, the whole unit complete is installed, drum, bearings and everything else.  It is more cost effective that way. ;)

Hmmm....Lizzie.

When a new washing machine can be had for less than £200 I'm not sure this makes economic sense.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 December 2017, 15:59:35 »

Just remember to remove the transportation screws/bolts from the back of the new washer, otherwise it'll bounce around the kitchen/garage  ..... apparently  ;D ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 December 2017, 16:22:58 »

Hmmm....Lizzie.

When a new washing machine can be had for less than £200 I'm not sure this makes economic sense.

Not the models I buy, and anyway over 3 appliances covered by my insurance it does work out economically ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 December 2017, 17:19:59 »

A lot of modern Indeshit washers, Hotpoint included, have welded drums, thus bearings cannot be changed on their own...  ...and replacement drums are rarely cost effective. Bin and replace if you have failed bearings on this type of drum.

Sometimes bra underwires can cause similar, but again with welded drums, SFA can be done.  If its a 2 piece drum, worth checking for that - usually the seal can be reused. If the bearing has gone, once stripped this far, easy-ish to change, plus you ca check if the spider is knackered (if so, probably not worth repairing).
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 26 December 2017, 17:29:15 »

A lot of modern Indeshit washers, Hotpoint included, have welded drums, thus bearings cannot be changed on their own...  ...and replacement drums are rarely cost effective. Bin and replace if you have failed bearings on this type of drum.

Sometimes bra underwires can cause similar, but again with welded drums, SFA can be done.  If its a 2 piece drum, worth checking for that - usually the seal can be reused. If the bearing has gone, once stripped this far, easy-ish to change, plus you ca check if the spider is knackered (if so, probably not worth repairing).
I don’t think Baza favours the underwired bras, he’s more the skimpy nipple covering type.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 December 2017, 17:32:27 »

Just remember to remove the transportation screws/bolts from the back of the new washer, otherwise it'll bounce around the kitchen/garage  ..... apparently  ;D ;D
:(  Yes , they do , my poor mother thought the house was falling down , scared her so much she went back to hand washing  :(

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 December 2017, 19:05:44 »

Having checked flea bay and the link Migv6 gave it seems that on the model I have you replace the whole drum which costs c£130 as Lord Opti says I can buy a brand new machine for not a lot more.Neither option really what I need at present as the tax man cometh at the end of January >:( Ho hum just have to take the hit and get a new one I suppose.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 December 2017, 19:16:43 »

What did women do before men invented washing machines for them?  ???

Ron.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 December 2017, 20:10:11 »

What did women do before men invented washing machines for them?  ???

Ron.

Possers in a dolly tub .... & a washboard if they were lucky  ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 18 queries.