Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Silly mere, whoops  (Read 4421 times)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Silly mere, whoops
« Reply #15 on: 29 December 2017, 10:19:37 »

A mere is a stretch of water. Perhaps there should be some kind of award for bad grammar, overuse of commas, atrocious spelling and general illiteracy.  :-\

And an instant death sentence for any oppser who feels the need to use an apostrophe on a plural.

I'm being bullied, because of my bad use of grammer, and rubbish spelling,  ::),,
Hoof'land storeman.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #16 on: 29 December 2017, 10:22:34 »

Shud  hav payed mor atension at skool.😀

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 29 December 2017, 11:09:29 »

My point was that not everyone is perfect...but you simply have to be to avoid getting slated on here by certain members. The situation with Lincs Robert the other night pissed me off but, of course, when someone ‘flounces’ it’s funny...isn’t it? A perfectly reasonable question, in my opinion, greeted with ridicule.
So, let’s all just look for imperfections or weaknesses and take the piss. You know, like they do on arsebook and twotter.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 December 2017, 11:13:47 »

What about the possessive plural, Nick?

Ron.

that's a specific instance that requires the use of an apostrophe, although how many people do it correctly?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 December 2017, 11:30:45 »

A mere is a stretch of water. Perhaps there should be some kind of award for bad grammar, overuse of commas, atrocious spelling and general illiteracy.  :-\

And an instant death sentence for any oppser who feels the need to use an apostrophe on a plural.

I'm being bullied, because of my bad use of grammer, and rubbish spelling,  ::),,
Smelling pistake?
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 December 2017, 11:31:27 »

Exactly. Incorrect useage is sometimes known as the "greengrocers' apostrophe", as I'm sure you know. A pedant would insist on "greengrocers's", but we have evolved into laziness in that regard!
Then there's "its" and "it's".....

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 December 2017, 12:13:15 »

I often get confused where to put my dangling modifier.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 December 2017, 14:23:21 »

I often get confused where to put my dangling modifier.
The buxom maid or the washer wench... decisions, decisions... ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 December 2017, 14:30:57 »

You are correct, Rods2; all road traffic laws prevail, even in supermarket car parks and anywhere that an admission fee is not charged.
Insurance cover was therefore required in those circumstances, together with valid tax and insurance.
Even if those requirements did not apply here, how was she planning to drive home?

Ron.

................and it is the same with drink driving.  If you get out of your car, or get into it on your driveway, or a private car park, you are intending to drive that car and so commit the said offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988, with later amendments, as soon as you sit in the drivers seat or intend to. ;)

Section 5 states:  Driving or being in charge of a motor vehicle with alcohol concentration above prescribed limit.
(1)If a person—
(a)drives or attempts to drive a motor vehicle on a road or other public place, or
(b)is in charge of a motor vehicle on a road or other public place,

and Section 143: Users of motor vehicles to be insured or secured against third-party risks.
(1)Subject to the provisions of this Part of this Act—
(a)a person must not use a motor vehicle on a road [F1or other public place] unless there is in force in relation to the use of the vehicle by that person such a policy of insurance or such a security in respect of third party risks as complies with the requirements of this Part of this Act, and
(b)a person must not cause or permit any other person to use a motor vehicle on a road [F2or other public place] unless there is in force in relation to the use of the vehicle by that other person such a policy of insurance or such a security in respect of third party risks as complies with the requirements of this Part of this Act.

So this lady obviously drove to the filling station on public roads, and intended to drive away again on the same public roads.
« Last Edit: 29 December 2017, 14:40:25 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 December 2017, 14:45:45 »

Prove it ;)

2boxerdogs

« Reply #25 on: 29 December 2017, 15:06:43 »

It will be on CCTV we are watched almost everywhere now even pulling into a garage & exiting a car.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 December 2017, 15:57:23 »

Prove it ;)

Prove what?  That she drove the car onto the petrol forecourt?

Try the CCTV that most filings stations have, and she told the police she was the driver who locked her keys in the car ;)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 December 2017, 22:07:54 »

You are correct, Rods2; all road traffic laws prevail, even in supermarket car parks and anywhere that an admission fee is not charged.
Insurance cover was therefore required in those circumstances, together with valid tax and insurance.
Even if those requirements did not apply here, how was she planning to drive home?

Ron.

................and it is the same with drink driving.  If you get out of your car, or get into it on your driveway, or a private car park, you are intending to drive that car and so commit the said offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988, with later amendments, as soon as you sit in the drivers seat or intend to. ;)

Section 5 states:  Driving or being in charge of a motor vehicle with alcohol concentration above prescribed limit.
(1)If a person—
(a)drives or attempts to drive a motor vehicle on a road or other public place, or
(b)is in charge of a motor vehicle on a road or other public place,

and Section 143: Users of motor vehicles to be insured or secured against third-party risks.
(1)Subject to the provisions of this Part of this Act—
(a)a person must not use a motor vehicle on a road [F1or other public place] unless there is in force in relation to the use of the vehicle by that person such a policy of insurance or such a security in respect of third party risks as complies with the requirements of this Part of this Act, and
(b)a person must not cause or permit any other person to use a motor vehicle on a road [F2or other public place] unless there is in force in relation to the use of the vehicle by that other person such a policy of insurance or such a security in respect of third party risks as complies with the requirements of this Part of this Act.

So this lady obviously drove to the filling station on public roads, and intended to drive away again on the same public roads.

Why did you need, to cut and paste that, O I know to prove a point. Really.
Hoof'land storeman.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 December 2017, 22:26:30 »

Ron.

Why did you need, to cut and paste that, O I know to prove a point. Really.

Why did you need to post this?

O I know to wind someone up and try and push them off the forum, like some other members recently along with the Doctor.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 December 2017, 03:39:28 »

Nothing like a good bandwagon jumping session ::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.