Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Plastic gasket ring and small bag got sucked into oil pump!! I feel stupid!  (Read 3345 times)

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
  • Been helped, will help.
    • View Profile

The oil filter rubber gasket and the small bag it came in I left in the filter and it got sucked into the system. I feel so stupid. Usually these filters come with the gasket outside and I thought the filter was missing the gasket and did not look inside the filter hole as these were stuffed in there as I was just trying to redo the oil change thinking the last oil change had issues and noticed in the new filter that I just opened. Now rattling and chattering! What to do!

Would it have been shredded and now blocking the pickup tube or it got buried inside the engine. The oil pressure appears to be extraordinarily high but not outside of the gauge range.

See the associated post about chattering.

Should I drop the oil pan and see if the pickup tube has the remnants and the blockage? Is there salvation and what is the best possible outcome and the worst and any next steps?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 29 December 2017, 19:17:51 by TestOmega »
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  May I be blessed to give more than I receive  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Any remnants inside the oil filter?
Onanists always think outside the box.

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
    • View Profile

Nothing!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  May I be blessed to give more than I receive  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile

I think I would drop the oil pan and hope to find the remains in the sump.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

I think I would drop the oil pan and hope to find the remains in the oil pump.
I would probably be looking for a replacement lump...

Pontiac Transport of 98-03 vintage uses the same basic lump :y

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
    • View Profile

Should I just try to drain oil as there is definitely a blockage and would changing oil cause the blockage to dislodge. Should I try to pump air into the filter hole and would that be of any benefit? Obviously I am just lost.

I thank you and if nothing in the pan then I suppose I am screwed!

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
    • View Profile

I think I would drop the oil pan and hope to find the remains in the oil pump.
I would probably be looking for a replacement lump...

Pontiac Transport of 98-03 vintage uses the same basic lump :y
Doctor would trying to suck through the filter hole with a shop vac be of any benefit!

I cannot put another engine this car as it is already 16 years old and not many people know much about these cars around here. But had before this, it has  been exceptionally well running. So any or all out of the box ideas you may have!

Thank you!
« Last Edit: 29 December 2017, 19:37:26 by TestOmega »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile

I think I would drop the oil pan and hope to find the remains in the sump.

Yes it may have found it's way to the sump and is blocking the oil pump feed.  :-\

If you have an airline, you could try blowing air into the oilways from various points to see if the bag pops out?  ???  Worth a try anyway.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile

If a foreign body started in the oil filter and then got pushed into the oilways in the block it will just get stuck in the block. It has no chance of passing through the shell bearings of the crankshaft or the camshafts.

If you are lucky it may have got stuck at the first change in direction in the oilways - if you take the oil filter off and fish around in the hole in the centre you may be able to pull it back out again.

The problem is that once an engine has run without oil for long enough to become audible then it is usually scrap. It really needs to be stripped down and inspected for bearing damage.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

What he said ^, unfortunately. :(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
    • View Profile

Friends I much appreciate the great suggestions and wisdom on this board.

So I was in a Kamikaze or Hail Mary situation. So I have done the following and the results;

1. I got the filter and oil out. I tried to suck through the filter hole and some oil came out and otherwise no objects.

2. I was thinking to get a more cold weather liquid oil to see if things will get shifted around and hopefully dislodge if in smaller pieces. I know for this step you will all throw bricks and jests at me. I got 5L of 0W20 Synthetic oil and added about one litre of Motormedic Motor Flush (made by GUNK people) and idled for approximately 5 minutes. I removed the resulting oil and the filter.

3. I installed a fresh filter (correctly  ::)) and 5L of 0W20. I went for a spin and it is still cold out here (-9 celsius, not too bad) both on the roads and the highway. She was acting little funny as to be racing but I am trying to fix her EBTCM module too with "VSS Speed Sensor A" issues as I have no speedometer or odometer. I used the GPS for speed so did 100 Km/h plus and other speeds.  In steady speed cruising she was as though nothing happened. The noise is much gone and not there at all on idle. When starting from a stop light I did seem to feel that the engine tries to race/whine a bit. But I have only done about 30 Km or so. When I came home and listened to the car idling, it was as like before and nicely purring along.

However, the proof is in the pudding but the pudding is not fully cooked yet. Time will tell sooner or later but after I fix the EBTCM (i.e. if the car is still alive over the next two weeks) it may resolve some shifting and such issues. I will know then if damage became chronic or if I had been lucky to get lesser damage. In spite of everything, she is already 253,000 plus Km in age and has served me very well.

I will for sure update in case it may help someone.

Regards.
« Last Edit: 30 December 2017, 00:37:45 by TestOmega »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile

Sounds like you've been lucky and the bag has ended up somewhere where the oil can get round.  :-\

Did you have a fish in the oil filter hole with a bit of wire or similar?  If not that might be worth a go next time you have the filter off, to see if you can hook the bag and drag it out.

Otherwise if it's running OK then live with it.  ;) 
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
    • View Profile

It died on the highway. Such a wonderful car as long it lasted and it grew on me. So sad.

I wish Dr. Gollum was wrong in the prediction, but he is realistic and was right whereas I was wishful.

Again, thanks everyone for the suggestions and help. 

Many best wishes to all for the New Year.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Sad news, plenty of GM North America products use that engine...

Worst case the belt driven four cylinder lump will bolt straight in with minimal wiring work ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.