Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2017 Reliability - Small Cars & by brand  (Read 3811 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
2017 Reliability - Small Cars & by brand
« on: 02 January 2018, 11:11:19 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-5206115/Most-reliable-small-cars.html

The Renault Modus in a Nissan Note disguise is the most unreliable. Who would of thought it? ::) ::) ::)

Jaguar as a brand is well down the list, so I guess it is a 'good' replacement for ex-Omega owners! :o :o :o
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Reliability - Small Cars & by brand
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2018, 11:31:53 »

The major car manufacturers have been making vehicles for long enough now to get it right, surely, and engineer a worthy product? No excuse for unreliability with modern materials and techniques.

Ron.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2018, 11:51:50 »

The major car manufacturers have been making vehicles for long enough now to get it right, surely, and engineer a worthy product? No excuse for unreliability with modern materials and techniques.

Ron.

That would be true if they weren't constantly trying to make things cheaper and more appeasing of the tree-huggers.  ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2018, 12:43:20 »

Ron.

That would be true if they weren't constantly trying to make things cheaper and more appeasing of the tree-huggers.  ;)

I was going to say - I'm sure an engineer could design a reliable car; except they're not designed by engineers or designers but committees of bean counters..

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2018, 12:43:45 »

Ron.

You'd hope, but its doubtful imho. Taking one specific example, both the x-type and XJ X350 had a problem with water ingress into the boot, via the rear light clusters if I remember correctly. Spin forward to 2014 and my then boss was deprived of his facelifted XF for a week and (other than for his warranty) would have had a nearly £1500 bill for.... water ingress into the boot via the rear light clusters ::).

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2018, 12:46:16 »

Isnt there a good revenue stream from building unreliable cars? . People will always buy on price rather than some reliability table.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2018, 13:12:24 »

Isnt there a good revenue stream from building unreliable cars? . People will always buy on price rather than some reliability table.

Reliability your main concern? Buy a Toyota.

If you want almost as good a record for a bit less, buy one of the Korean marques.

The fancier the car, the less reliable it's likely to be.

Any questions?

aaronjb

« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2018, 13:16:52 »

Any questions?

Does that include SsangYong? (Mercedes for the blind or a five year old Mercedes redesigned by a toddler ;D)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2018, 13:20:35 »

Every full time mechanic who I consider worth the name says the same thing. "If you want a car that wont break down, buy a Toyota".
Ive never owned one, so cant verify it, but I expect there must be something in it.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 January 2018, 13:28:18 »

Any questions?

Does that include SsangYong? (Mercedes for the blind or a five year old Mercedes redesigned by a toddler ;D )

The more recent ones aren't. And would you really want old Merc bits thrown together by a budget manufacturer?

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 02 January 2018, 13:31:59 »

Every full time mechanic who I consider worth the name says the same thing. "If you want a car that wont break down, buy a Toyota".
Ive never owned one, so cant verify it, but I expect there must be something in it.

Except for all the 1ZZ-FE* powered ones that suffered catastrophic engine failure, they're dead reliable ;)

*MR2 Roadster, Celica, Corolla, Yaris IIRC. Seemed worse on the Roadster, theory was that the increased oil consumption caused the pre-CATs to fail more quickly on those due to physical location closer to the cylinders.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 January 2018, 15:11:12 »

Toyota at 86% reliability.

If my old F reg 1.6 Carina II Estate, that I had from 2002 to 2005 when I returned to the Omega fold, is anything to go by I am not surprised.  That old car which I fully maintained and drove for 60K miles, which already had 125k on the clock, NEVER let me down.  Started every time, and reached speeds that meant I could keep pace with the best on the motorways. Great to work on, and spares readily available at a good price for me through a friendly local dealers parts manager. It even gave me back a profit of £50, over the purchase price of £300, when I sold it.

If I had the money/need to run multiple vehicles, a Toyota would be one of them :y

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 January 2018, 16:03:51 »

I see Ford are fairly high on the list....which isn't surprising to me....as my Mondeo has been reliable  :y

I am looking to swap it out tho......for a 2L diesel as my current one, a 1.6L, is gonna struggle with a tow bar on the back...

I am looking at a 2L at the moment, but it has a semi autobox in it......not sure how reliable these boxes are  :-\ and will it protest towing  :-\

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 January 2018, 16:11:08 »

I see Ford are fairly high on the list....which isn't surprising to me....as my Mondeo has been reliable  :y

I am looking to swap it out tho......for a 2L diesel as my current one, a 1.6L, is gonna struggle with a tow bar on the back...

I am looking at a 2L at the moment, but it has a semi autobox in it......not sure how reliable these boxes are  :-\ and will it protest towing  :-\

The dry clutch ones on the smaller engines are utter wank, the wet clutch ones on the larger power plants better......but towing is any bodies guess.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 January 2018, 16:24:30 »

The dry clutch ones on the smaller engines are utter wank, .......

That's the Powershitshift isn't it?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 January 2018, 16:34:26 »

I think that's a hangover from the early 90s.  Modern ones are every bit as tosh as every other car, going by the PoS Mrs TB's dad is having repaired almost monthly, a colleague's company car (though I suspect half of that is down to dealer incompetence), and a friend's little Aygo.  And their diesels are guaranteed to get horrifically expensive at around 70-80k
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 January 2018, 16:42:18 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-5206115/Most-reliable-small-cars.html

The Renault Modus in a Nissan Note disguise is the most unreliable. Who would of thought it? ::) ::) ::)

Jaguar as a brand is well down the list, so I guess it is a 'good' replacement for ex-Omega owners! :o :o :o
a) I would not believe anything from the Fail
b) Last time I checked, Jag don't do a small car

Jaguar has a reliability image problem from yesteryear, not helped by Ford's financial issues more recently.  But, ironically, since the Indians have taken over, I think they (and sister LR) have pretty much got on top of the issues (and have the stats to show that).  Yes, any luxury high technology car will have lots of electrical type issues (ask any 7 series owner), but good reliability was one of the factors for Jag to be on my list :).

As it happened, there wasn't a lot of other choices, as I'd ruled out BMW for personal reasons, ruled out Mercedes until such time as they are able to properly design a car again, ruled out Lexus for being either too small or because I'm too young.  So that kinda left Jag or a hideous looking Datsun clone ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 January 2018, 16:54:39 »

Rover, pre BMW, were the first major manufacturer to start doing proper analysis of warranty claims. In the BMW era, that eventually worked its way into LR (and clear benefits seen by the hugely improved reliability of the L322 over the P38), and when LR was sold to PAG, that mentality crossed over into Jag (and other PAG brands except Volvo (a law unto themselves - a reason I'd never have a Volvo), such as the 2008 Mundano).  The improvements to reliability started to show in the 2007 X358 XJ, and others launched post that time, such as the 2010 X351 XJ, the mid facelifted XF from 2011, and the newer XE, new XF etc.

Granted, the F-type suffered "thermal events" pre launch...   ...very similar to the "thermal events" of a very soon to be released car beginning with M  :-X
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 January 2018, 17:27:46 »

I'm unfamiliar with the Toyota range; should the day arrive when my beloved Omega dies, what is their equivalent to my 2.6 petrol automatic, preferably estate, and as gutsy? Suggestions please.....

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 January 2018, 17:43:17 »

I'm unfamiliar with the Toyota range; should the day arrive when my beloved Omega dies, what is their equivalent to my 2.6 petrol automatic, preferably estate, and as gutsy? Suggestions please.....

Ron.

Here you go Ron, a nice little Toyota Avensis estate.  Dull as dish water, but it's probably got plenty of life left in it, if all you want is something to get around in.  ;)  One lady owner..... Maureen.....  ;D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-AVENSIS-T4-2-2-D4D-DIESEL-ESTATE-FULL-SERVICE-HISTORY-AUGUST-2018-MOT/182951014449?hash=item2a98baf031:g:Kq0AAOSwdx1aKXon
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 January 2018, 17:44:33 »

Ron.
Merc E class is the first that springs to mind. But you'd have to be mental, unless you needed that load carrying.

Nowadays, it will otherwise have to be one of those gay crossovers.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 January 2018, 17:45:36 »

Ron.

Here you go Ron, a nice little Toyota Avensis estate.  Dull as dish water, but it's probably got plenty of life left in it, if all you want is something to get around in.  ;)  One lady owner..... Maureen.....  ;D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-AVENSIS-T4-2-2-D4D-DIESEL-ESTATE-FULL-SERVICE-HISTORY-AUGUST-2018-MOT/182951014449?hash=item2a98baf031:g:Kq0AAOSwdx1aKXon
Ooooo, 144k Toyota diesel, that's gonna hurt the wallet.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 January 2018, 17:49:56 »

You always look on the bright side.  :D ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 January 2018, 17:59:50 »

Whereas my Omega leaves my wallet full to overflowing, TB?  ::)

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 January 2018, 18:02:51 »

You always look on the bright side.  :D ;D
Sorry, too many close to me have been burnt by Toyota d4d engines.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 January 2018, 18:04:22 »

Whereas my Omega leaves my wallet full to overflowing, TB?  ::)

Ron.
In the 14.5yrs I owned my beloved Silver Bullet, I would have to say that fuel aside, it was one of the cheapest cars to run that I've owned.  Add in depreciation, even including fuel, it was the cheapest...
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 January 2018, 18:30:48 »

Ok, maybe I was being a little harsh there; it is a 17 year old car now and I've owned it for the last ten of them. But for the help of OOF members and the Saintly Serek, it would have been bean tins long ago, though, so many thanks, gents, for keeping it alive.
It would be nice not to have to keep giving it presents and TLC, though!

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 January 2018, 19:54:41 »

Eldest daughter is on her 2nd Aygo[petrol]and loves them,but in fairness it does suit her short town hop driving.Son-in-law[her husband]is on his 2nd Auris hybrid and loves those :o Other son-in-law had an Ultima[?]diesel-import version of Previa anyway-that thing was a total pile of cack!I once had a late '70's[I think]2L Cressida saloon,I think that was built of rust and body filler ;D it was pretty comfy,had a reasonable turn of speed for what it was and mechanically it just wouldn't die,but it was so,so boring to drive it had no "soul" :-[

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 January 2018, 08:16:55 »

It is indeed, even the wet clutch ones need regular fluid changes to keep them going.  :-[
« Last Edit: 03 January 2018, 08:24:02 by Fuse 19 »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 January 2018, 08:24:18 »

It is indeed, even the wet clutch ones need regular fluid changes t keep them going.  :-[

So is the fabled VW DSG actually any better? The only one I've driven years ago was in a Passat, & it didn't do anything for me ..... and I drive a Smart Fortwo to work every day   ::)

I'd be reluctant to tow anything substantial with any automated manual.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2018, 08:28:49 by Andy B »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 03 January 2018, 09:14:36 »

Its basically Getrags equivalent of the Borg Warner DSG (The DSG is not actually a VAG gearbox).

Ford are dumping the powershit and going back to torque convertor based systems....as its cost them dearly!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03 January 2018, 09:50:43 »

Ford are dumping the powershit and going back to torque convertor based systems....as its cost them dearly!

Like Vauxhall & their Easytronic then  ::)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03 January 2018, 10:38:52 »

The Easytronic was a single clutch system using a standard manual box with naff software (tolerable with the software upgrades).

GM never finished their dual clutch box as it got binned about 10 years ago, instead they got on board big autos with lockup in all gears.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 January 2018, 17:48:08 »

Eldest daughter is on her 2nd Aygo[petrol]and loves them,but in fairness it does suit her short town hop driving.Son-in-law[her husband]is on his 2nd Auris hybrid and loves those :o Other son-in-law had an Ultima[?]diesel-import version of Previa anyway-that thing was a total pile of cack!I once had a late '70's[I think]2L Cressida saloon,I think that was built of rust and body filler ;D it was pretty comfy,had a reasonable turn of speed for what it was and mechanically it just wouldn't die,but it was so,so boring to drive it had no "soul" :-[
I've driven a couple of Aygos and quite liked them as a thrash-about-town car.  One of those was a hire car, thus was the worlds fastest vehicle ;D.  Obviously not a car for longer journeys, or motorway runs.

But I know a guy who has a right Friday afternoon one.

FIL has a d4d engine corolla verso, and its a proper wallet emptier.  Its a dog of an engine once it has miles on it.  On the upside, he has full access to an abandoned Battlebus (if he can find it) when his is broken again ;D.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.