Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: battery  (Read 1077 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
battery
« on: 02 January 2018, 22:17:15 »

car has not been used for 3days & today the battery wouldn't turn the engine, a spare battery I have which has not been used for nearly a year but to my surprise was holding a 12.8 charge started my mig using jump leads, no bother. could it be that unwittingly I am using power hence draining the battery. I tend to leave front screen heater & also the radio switched on. I presume they don't use power when the ignition is off. am I right. ?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: battery
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2018, 02:32:06 »

Put the good battery in the Car and see if it remains good, meanwhile charge the old battery and leave it to rest somewhere cold for a week or so and see if it retains its charge.

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2018, 07:31:52 »

car has not been used for 3days & today the battery wouldn't turn the engine, a spare battery I have which has not been used for nearly a year but to my surprise was holding a 12.8 charge started my mig using jump leads, no bother. could it be that unwittingly I am using power hence draining the battery. I tend to leave front screen heater & also the radio switched on. I presume they don't use power when the ignition is off. am I right. ?
Sounds like mine when the last battery was dying. However after 3 or 4 days without use the new GM battery in mine struggled to turn the engine over during the cold spell we have just had. Came to the conclusion that it could be a mix of the starter motor is marginal for power in cold weather combined with normal diesel starting-itis in cold weather possibly with a bit of worn out glow plugs thrown in. If mine stays unused for 3 weeks then it's pretty reluctant to get going so I've got into the habit of giving it a slow charge for a day or two before use.

I tend to switch everything off before turning off the ignition so I don't think that will make any difference, but a trickle of drain is always possible from somewhere. With regular use it doesn't show itself.

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 January 2018, 10:19:59 »

Check that interior light is not left on. Easy to do, and is independent of ignition.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2018, 18:13:58 »

I had a low battery warning pop up on the Jag, and telling me to start the engine.

But I suffered CBA, so left it
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.