Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Medium term garage roof fix  (Read 1599 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Medium term garage roof fix
« on: 09 January 2018, 21:37:37 »

Hi All

Looking for some advice if any builders or roofers on here. I've got a garage (check me!) that has the standard tar felt flat roofing. trouble is it is really overdue for total renewal, and is leaking, but at the moment can't quite stretch to funds to totally repair. Was going to do it myself but going to be busy this year so have heard there is a type of covering/sheeting you can buy that you can put over the roof, I think it is the same thing they use for lorry curtains.

Does anyone know a good source for this or something similar I can put over roof for waterproofing until I get funds to buy material for new roof?

I also would like to add a layer or two of brick to the walls to raise the roof a bit as it is very low, or at least to put more of a run on it for drainage, so I would be a bit hesitant to just take all the old roofing off and not put some extra bricks on while it's all off.

« Last Edit: 09 January 2018, 21:45:24 by grifter »

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Medium term garage roof fix
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2018, 21:59:05 »

If you want a cheap repair then do what I have done by adding a layer of shed roofing felt to my front flat roof that actually lasted longer than intended or expected for over 5 years before it started leaking again. I've got to do a complete repair this year with new boards and will use a one piece rubber sheet which is then meant to last 40-50 years. 10m x 1m shed roofing costs £30 at my local hardware store along with £25 for 5L of felt adhesive along with a few £££ss for a couple of boxes of clout nails. I did the same shed roofing felt repair on my newer rear & garage flat roofs last year where the roofing felt had just cracked on the gutter side edge and it is still all fine and leak proof 18 months later.

I've found the paint on repairs don't last very long!
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2018, 22:29:45 »

I had the same problem with the garage last year.. leaked very badly  like a sieve in several places.. I used Thompsons 10 year Roof seal  which I bought at Wickes for about £18 for a two and a half litre tin.. 12 months later all is still good, you can paint it on even in the damp conditions as long as you let it dry before recoating it if it needs it... so well pleased with the results and way cheaper and easier than recovering  the 30 foot by 11 foot roof. :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2018, 22:30:28 »

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p24314?table=no

This has lasted 4yrs and counting on our shed roof. Although as always it depends on the type of leak you are trying to repair. We used it as the wooden shed abutted two walls and the roof wouldn’t support my weight. So re-felting (my preferred option) was impractical.

EDIT: wot flyer sed ;)

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2018, 22:33:41 »

That's the stuff ...Jimmy...brilliant as far as I am concerned  :y

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2018, 22:37:18 »

If you want a cheap repair then do what I have done by adding a layer of shed roofing felt to my front flat roof that actually lasted longer than intended or expected for over 5 years before it started leaking again. I've got to do a complete repair this year with new boards and will use a one piece rubber sheet which is then meant to last 40-50 years. 10m x 1m shed roofing costs £30 at my local hardware store along with £25 for 5L of felt adhesive along with a few £££ss for a couple of boxes of clout nails. I did the same shed roofing felt repair on my newer rear & garage flat roofs last year where the roofing felt had just cracked on the gutter side edge and it is still all fine and leak proof 18 months later.

Is that the firestone stuff? My folks got that on their roof, seems a good long-term fix as the felt and corrugated stuff it had before lasted barely 10 years before leaking.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2018, 22:44:50 »

Before reading Jimmy's post, I was going to suggest RoofTrade, a similar product that also comes in aerosol form. I got mine at B&Q; sorry I cannot remember the price, but I have a fwwling that it was cheaper.
Anyway, no need to replace that roof until you are ready to, Grifter!  :y

Ron.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2018, 23:20:44 »

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p24314?table=no

This has lasted 4yrs and counting on our shed roof. Although as always it depends on the type of leak you are trying to repair. We used it as the wooden shed abutted two walls and the roof wouldn’t support my weight. So re-felting (my preferred option) was impractical.

EDIT: wot flyer sed ;)

I think it is going to depend upon the type of roofing problem. My front roof has chipboard boards and is fairly unstable which the roofing felt could cope with and the newer roofs it was not an option as the tar used for gluing the folded over edging top cap on the guttering side meant over 15 years it had heated in the sun, lifted and split, so roofing felt was the only practical option for a temporary repair.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2018, 06:03:54 »

I'd suggest laying a single sheet rubber roof.  I used rubber4roof.co.uk on a porch.  Its not difficult to lay yourself.

If you are raising the roof then i expect you'll replace all timbers so in effect you'll be laying on a new timber deck, so a rubber sheet is fine. Its no good to patch an existing hot felt roof

Others may suggest grp/fiberglass but it feels a bit of overkill for a garage and is more expensive and less diy able
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2018, 08:07:10 »

I'd suggest laying a single sheet rubber roof.  I used rubber4roof.co.uk on a porch.  Its not difficult to lay yourself.

If you are raising the roof then i expect you'll replace all timbers so in effect you'll be laying on a new timber deck, so a rubber sheet is fine. Its no good to patch an existing hot felt roof

Others may suggest grp/fiberglass but it feels a bit of overkill for a garage and is more expensive and less diy able

Yes, excellent stuff and quick/easy to lay, takes longer tor remove the old stuff

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2018, 12:40:53 »

We seem to have a lot of experts on rubber sheets  ::)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2018, 17:34:33 »

We seem to have a lot of experts on rubber sheets  ::)
Yeah, because most of ,em are incontinent. ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.