Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: False incoming missile alert for Hawaii  (Read 4743 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: False incoming missile alert for Hawaii
« Reply #15 on: 15 January 2018, 00:49:33 »

Thanks Rods, that's very reassuring.  ::)                                                    ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 January 2018, 09:29:20 »

Now, let us hope it never happens, but if it does, forget any warnings, just die quick without knowing what happened! :(

I'll go for that option. The alternative means I'll have to tidy up the cupboard under the stairs. :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2018, 09:50:35 »

these people are dying from old age rather than any higher rates of cancer. So if our generation survive the initial blast in an underground shelter, then you will almost certainly die of old age rather than the effects of the nuclear attack. :y :y :y

or from the unprepared nicking your stock of food?

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 January 2018, 09:53:34 »

My missus told me about this and we got to thinking......would we all get a text or something? Would all the telecomms providers send one out? What would it say?

“No point running and hiding, you are going to die. Have a nice day. Vodaphone”
If need be yes, it would be either a CBS (Cell Broadcast) or a Location Flash SMS, either of these would come up on your Screen straight away and dont rely on you going to your inbox to read the Massage. It wouldn't be down to the Networks to send this out as various Gov Depts have a Gateway into the Networks as part of their Public Emergency Alerts Program.

But again, by the time most would see these messages we would all be dead. :P

I repeat, as during the Cold War, when nuclear weapons were not as powerful as now, we knew we would not survive, and we said between ourselves that it would be better to be killed quickly in the first strike than linger on for a very slow and painful death.  The public service films on what to do if the day came where just 'dangle berries', and eventually admitted to be so.

Now, let us hope it never happens, but if it does, forget any warnings, just die quick without knowing what happened! :(

Sorry Lizzie but that's a load of crap  ::)

In the good old early days of the cold war, the nukes was larger due to the inaccuracy of the delivery systems.
A warhead was made with a high yield because the CEP was measured in hundreds of meters.
Nowadays, these things can be popped through letter box if needed hence the much smaller yield weapons available today  ;)

Now were is my old "Survive to fight" manual  :D :D

STEMO

« Reply #19 on: 15 January 2018, 11:39:36 »

I would be a goner for sure. With all the important industry and tech that’s around in Barnsley, I wouldn’t be surprised if they hit us with multiple warheads.  :(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 January 2018, 11:52:48 »

My missus told me about this and we got to thinking......would we all get a text or something? Would all the telecomms providers send one out? What would it say?

“No point running and hiding, you are going to die. Have a nice day. Vodaphone”
If need be yes, it would be either a CBS (Cell Broadcast) or a Location Flash SMS, either of these would come up on your Screen straight away and dont rely on you going to your inbox to read the Massage. It wouldn't be down to the Networks to send this out as various Gov Depts have a Gateway into the Networks as part of their Public Emergency Alerts Program.

But again, by the time most would see these messages we would all be dead. :P

I repeat, as during the Cold War, when nuclear weapons were not as powerful as now, we knew we would not survive, and we said between ourselves that it would be better to be killed quickly in the first strike than linger on for a very slow and painful death.  The public service films on what to do if the day came where just 'dangle berries', and eventually admitted to be so.

Sorry Lizzie but that's a load of crap  ::)

In the good old early days of the cold war, the nukes was larger due to the inaccuracy of the delivery systems.
A warhead was made with a high yield because the CEP was measured in hundreds of meters.

Nowadays, these things can be popped through letter box if needed hence the much smaller yield weapons available today  ;)

Now were is my old "Survive to fight" manual  :D :D

No, not at all.

Can you be assured that Putin, who is known to have developed nuclear weapons with a far wider destructive affect when denoting and is the leader of the country who built the (then) World's biggest bomb, the Tzar, does not possess weapons far more powerful than in the Cold War?  Are you certain that Iran and North Korea haven't developed their nuclear weapons to a level that will be far more destructive than ever known before?  The Cold War did end almost 30 years ago so there has been much time for development in the destructive capacity of nukes.  After all, what power throughout World history has ever limited the force of their weaponry? It just does not happen!

The answer is "no", as no international inspections of any worth have been carried out in these countries; Putin for example will block every attempt for outsiders to see their new range of nuclear weapons. We are in, once again, a World of tremendous uncertainty.  We are in a situation where a number of countries could combine their forces, unlike during the Cold War when we knew it would 'just' be between the CCCP and the USA.  Then at least we knew we were dealing with leaders who, eventually, recognised MAD.  Can the same be said of the current fanatical World leaders?

There are no guarantees now that someone won't push 'that' button and send the most powerful nuclear weapons into us. ;)
« Last Edit: 15 January 2018, 11:57:07 by Lizzie Zoom »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 January 2018, 12:42:41 »

I would be a goner for sure. With all the important industry and tech that’s around in Barnsley, I wouldn’t be surprised if they hit us with multiple warheads.  :(

.. Whereas my parents live equidistant between Aldermaston and Burghfield. :(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 January 2018, 12:43:42 »

Quite a few of my wife's family and friends got this message and it upset them quite a lot.  Back in November air-raid sirens were re-enabled due to the actions of N Korea and this was publicised widely.  Hawaii is a of huge strategic importance to the US military, not just the Navy capabilities but also other intelligence operations.  So tensions were already high.

It seems, from what I have read, that an employee pressed the wrong option choosing 'Missile Alert' rather than 'Test Missile Alert'.  For such a weak failsafe to be present in uch an important alerting system is frankly quite incredible.  I would have expected a more robust control than one which can be as simple as A or B (ie if a genuine alert then confirm by typing the following code)  Less chance of human error in that case.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 January 2018, 12:45:52 »

I've always said the same about the "set topic sticky" button on this forum. ::)

Sorry to hear your in-laws were affected. I can imagine it would have been very worrying. :(

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 January 2018, 13:09:32 »

In a dark twist of fate, the wife's stepdad's Alzheimers means he probably won't remember it.  The mother-in-law however......

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 January 2018, 13:54:17 »

This topic always reminds me of the old line from "Threads" just before it kicks off big style  ::)

Something along the lines of ............... if it kicks off, take the kids to your mothers in Lincolnshire, there is nothing to bomb there  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 January 2018, 14:18:46 »

This topic always reminds me of the old line from "Threads" just before it kicks off big style  ::)

Something along the lines of ............... if it kicks off, take the kids to your mothers in Lincolnshire, there is nothing to bomb there ;D

No, just vegetables! ::) ::) ::)..........

Did I just say that? ::) ::) ::)  Sorry Lincolnshire, a lovely county with lovely people, and I have been there many times..................Phew!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 January 2018, 14:27:36 »

I doubt they'd target Lord Opti's fruit and veg!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 January 2018, 14:47:25 »

I don't know though.  I bet Lord Opti has the best fruit and veg in the county, so I bet some jealous Lincolnshire farmer has already phoned Putin or Kim Jon and given them co-ordinates of Opti's veg patch!  A strike is imminent as we speak! :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;)

STEMO

« Reply #29 on: 15 January 2018, 15:11:16 »

I don't know though.  I bet Lord Opti has the best fruit and veg in the county, so I bet some jealous Lincolnshire farmer has already phoned Putin or Kim Jon and given them co-ordinates of Opti's veg patch!  A strike is imminent as we speak! :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;)
Oh my god.....Lizzie is now openly talking about Opti’s meat and two veg.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.