Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange Request  (Read 3390 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Request
« Reply #15 on: 16 January 2018, 17:28:08 »

And I contacted the company, who confirmed that the email was genuine and standard procedure for new customers.  ;)

It's still a bit strange though, but maybe Ze Germans are being extra careful of us Englanders now that we've become some sort of rogue state!  :D
« Last Edit: 16 January 2018, 17:30:46 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 January 2018, 18:08:25 »

Will they now now destroy the copies of your documents? ??? ???

Doubt it.  More probably been passed on to Brussels so it can be added to their list of people who work on their own cars, which is probably considered slightly subversive and likely to be subjected to future regulations.  :-X  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 January 2018, 18:10:16 »

And I contacted the company, who confirmed that the email was genuine and standard procedure for new customers. ;)

It's still a bit strange though, but maybe Ze Germans are being extra careful of us Englanders now that we've become some sort of rogue state!  :D

That's good :y :y :y

I would still be worried though about any commercial organisation having a copy of your driving licence and passport.  Why do they need that? :( :(

As you said, a strange request!! :D ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 January 2018, 18:42:01 »

I sent a copy of my driving licence and the only details on there that they didn't already have are my driver number, the start and expiry date. I didn't send a copy of my passport.  ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 January 2018, 19:34:36 »

I sent a copy of my driving licence and the only details on there that they didn't already have are my driver number, the start and expiry date. I didn't send a copy of my passport.  ;)
[/highlight]

That was the right choice! :y :y :y

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 January 2018, 16:17:12 »

I'm wondering whether the transaction ran foul of your card issuer's anti-fraud measures. Autodoc's merchant provider may have asked for additional verification as this was an out of country customer not present transaction. The required actions were then lost in translation. Perhaps you were getting the package delivered to some other address than the billing address of your card? How much was involved?

I used a credit card with Autodoc last August. The transaction says 'Autodoc ****** Berlin', was £81 and some change. The items were delivered in an Autodoc branded box.

I wasn't asked for additional ID or photo of the card etc. PayPal is also an option.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 January 2018, 16:32:10 »

Paypal is a pretty efficient way to pay for foreign purchases. :y

The only thing I don't like is that, unlike Visa, it often takes 2-3 days to show up on your bank statement,  which is dangerous if you have a bit more month than money :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 January 2018, 16:50:24 »

I recently purchased a "Wiltec" battery charger from Germany.
I wasn't asked for anything additional like Passport or driving licence details. It would make me nervous providing those - I wouldn't do it.  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 January 2018, 17:14:11 »

I paid with my credit card, as I've never seen Autodoc before and the item was much cheaper than anywhere else.  ::)

If it dosn't turn up, I can get the money back from the credit card company. :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 January 2018, 19:31:27 »

Popular frauds are having an A. N Other card's details (lists can be bought off dark web) but not the card, your photograph shows you have it in your possession and the driving licence shows you also have the name matching driving licence. Doesn't prevent fraud if somebody steals both and uses the card before it is cancelled, but it will certainly massively reduce it. :y

Normal practice by the bank/company that processes the transaction is that if the card is stolen and used in a 'cardholder not present transaction' it is the goods supplier that takes the loss, >:( >:( >:( so whatever the company uses to minimize their losses you either play by their safeguarding rules or go to an alternative supplier. :y :y :y Certain types of goods supplier's are targeted more than others. Basically, what is high value and popular so they can easily be sold on. >:( >:( >:(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 January 2018, 20:37:22 »

I paid with my credit card, as I've never seen Autodoc before and the item was much cheaper than anywhere else.  ::)

If it dosn't turn up, I can get the money back from the credit card company. :y
AIUI The UK credit card protection offered under UK legislation, is not infallible, and only applies to £100+ transactions.
So non-delivery for less than £100 = no refund from Visa/Mastercard.

Paypal operate their own dispute resolution under different legislation. Essentially they collect cash from you and pay the equivalent cash to the recipient. Cash transactions are subject to different rules to credit. You have less rights.

That said, I have no issue with Autodoc.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 January 2018, 20:44:00 »

I made a Section 75 claim against my credit card company last year and found it unexpectedly quick and painless.  :y

I know it's daft thinking like this, but it felt slightly unfair that they had to take the hit for another companies failings, when in essence all they did was lend me the money.  :-\ 

Didn't stop me from taking the cash though!  :)

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.