Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mobile phone companies  (Read 2778 times)

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
Mobile phone companies
« on: 26 January 2018, 15:42:23 »

I need to take my wife off my business Vodafone account.
Any recommendations for a particular phone company? SIM only. She uses it just for calls and texts. Samsung S7.

To transfer number I just obtain the unlock & PAC codes don't I and stick new SIM in?

My son's on 3.

TIA

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile phone companies
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2018, 16:43:55 »

Depends on coverage in your area.

Three is universally shite, everywhere.

Evil Everywhere undoubtedly has the best 4G coverage by some margin, but their high frequencies lead to poor penetration into old buildings.

O2/Voda has the sweet 900Mhz frequencies, allowing good penetration indoors, but otherwise generally substandard 3g/4g coverage.

I personally use Evil Everywhere, £7.50 SIM only PAYG monthly bundle, 2.1Gb, 250mins, unlimited texts.  Mrs TB is EE, £10 rolling bundle, 6Gb, 350mins, unlimited text.  No plans to change as the service is generally excellent, and O2/Voda/Three can't get remotely close on 3g/4g coverage.

If EE works for you, look at BT Mobile if you have BT Broadband.  Same network, some offers may be better.
Grumpy old man

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2018, 17:53:32 »

Evil Everywhere undoubtedly has the best 4G coverage by some margin, but their high frequencies lead to poor penetration into old buildings.

O2/Voda has the sweet 900Mhz frequencies, allowing good penetration indoors, but otherwise generally substandard 3g/4g coverage.

I personally use Evil Everywhere, £7.50 SIM only PAYG monthly bundle, 2.1Gb, 250mins, unlimited texts.  Mrs TB is EE, £10 rolling bundle, 6Gb, 350mins, unlimited text.  No plans to change as the service is generally excellent, and O2/Voda/Three can't get remotely close on 3g/4g coverage.

If EE works for you, look at BT Mobile if you have BT Broadband.  Same network, some offers may be better.

In Cornwall Three is one of the best networks for coverage,I've had vodafone, Ee and o2 over the years and Three is easily the best
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2018, 18:23:20 »

3 here... I get 4g data along my entire journey to work, something which was never possible with EEk.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2018, 21:52:23 »

Utter shite. It Varys from area to area... I’ve been with Three for donkeys years and in most areas I go it has outperformed O2 and Voda for overall coverage and quality, especially 3G/4G.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2018, 22:22:11 »

Yep I'm with 3 and their coverage is much better than Vodafone, who I was with before.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2018, 23:52:59 »

Sky sims are cheap, if you have Sky TV  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2018, 00:07:28 »

Shame freeview don't do sims... ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2018, 07:51:28 »

Marketing opportunity for you there Sir Tig?Not much profit in it though ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2018, 08:19:57 »

Network coverage really is horses for courses once you wander off the beaten track, Voda, O2, and EE are the main players for consitant coverage, personally Ive never had any issues with Vodafone, been with them for years as a Business customer, good call quality, rarely get poor Network or dropped calls, have a few other Sims on the EE Network which isn't far behind.

If your with Voda Business why not try and get a low value Retention deal if your other half doesnt use it much, Ive had some cracking Retention deals out of Vodafone over the years and theve always looked after me, can be pot luck who you speak to though and whats going on at anyone time.

EE would probably be my second choice, although its hard to get anything out of them as an existing customer.

Virgin (on the EE Network) are doing some good Sim Only deals lately.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2018, 08:41:19 »

I'm on Lebara: free SIM, PAYG and dirt cheap calls/texts to America and Europe.
Coverage has always been good, even when SWMBO and son have lost signal.

Ron.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 January 2018, 09:03:23 »

I'm on Lebara: free SIM, PAYG and dirt cheap calls/texts to America and Europe.
Coverage has always been good, even when SWMBO and son have lost signal.

Ron.
Vodafone Network.  ;)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2018, 09:47:04 »

The biggest issue I had with Voda was the Customer noService Department. That said, I’ve always had good experiences with Three (once you get past the robots reading a script) but my mother has had nothing but trouble. I think it’s all subjective and down to personal circumstances.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2018, 10:21:50 »

Utter shite. It Varys from area to area... I’ve been with Three for donkeys years and in most areas I go it has outperformed O2 and Voda for overall coverage and quality, especially 3G/4G.
As you personally know, I have in recent times been with O2, Voda, EE and Three, and I do get about a bit.  I actually still have live SIMs with all but Voda (and my O2 is via MVNO NiffNaff). Voda is dreadful in these parts, on a par with Three.

Generally, Three is the worse for signal coverage by some margin. O2 the best for voice coverage (but probably the worse (usable) data coverage).

For 4G coverage, there is only one clear winner - EE.  For 2 reasons, it was first to market and was keen to capitalise on that, and its also the only one with a legal obligation to provide a set geographic coverage value (all have a 90% outdoor population (which is lower than geographic) as part of their 4G licencing, and all but EE are missing that).

I have multiple SIMs from different networks, because I always need data, for those situations where I need to get on the network (be that work, bro's, or home) quickly from the nearest layby (I need DTM's Jag's wifi ;D).  I'd have to say, since moving my personal mobile to EE 2 or 3 years back, its been a revelation, as I'm struggling to think of any time where EE failed, and the NiffNaff or Three SIM worked. In fact its rare when outdoors, my gayPhone isn't reporting a decent 4G signal.

Local coverage will always vary, as I said in my original comment, and as henryd pointed out that local to him Three was superior. When we stay in Cornwall, its usually in the rural areas around Hayle/Helston, and we've frequently camped near Leadstown, down in the valley, where nothing works...  ...thankfully the campsite put up a load of BT Wifi points :y

A good pal, Terry the Chipman, uses Three on his Samsung Galaxy, and even he will agree the coverage is shocking. It works, just, where he lives, doesn't work where he works, and only has intermittent coverage in the 17 mile commute - something we always laugh about.  But, he's on a legacy contract, unlimited (untetherable) data, unlimited mins, unlimited texts for under £20, and he doesn't want to give that up, understandably. He just hopes Three will improve coverage...   ...but he's been saying that for the 10yrs I've known him, with barely any improvement.

Obviously, beyond signal, be it 2G, 3G or 4G, there is an issue of capacity.  Milton Keynes is particularly bad in this respect, with all networks mostly offering a good signal outdoors around most of the borough, as you would expect.  But its quite common not to be able ot even make calls or send texts when something happens, like heavy snow at rush hour, due to capacity.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2018, 10:28:57 »

The biggest issue I had with Voda was the Customer noService Department. That said, I’ve always had good experiences with Three (once you get past the robots reading a script) but my mother has had nothing but trouble. I think it’s all subjective and down to personal circumstances.
All of them have truly awful customer services IME.  I've had unsatisfactory experiences from O2 (stonewalled as soon as their scripts ran out, with no solutions offered), Voda (there is no fault sir, when clearly there was), EE (still waiting for a senior manager to call back - though I think they just gave me a monthly discount instead) and Three (left their call centre and the store I was in arguing amongst themselves over if I'd been sold the right SIM, and whether the shop could supply correct SIM - in the end the call centre told me the shop would sort out, and the shop just manhandled me out saying the call centre was wrong. Still waiting for resolution on that one).
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 January 2018, 01:07:13 »

I have O2 and Three, Three requires a booster.

O2 no issues at all. :y

Vodafone is NAFF, where I live, cant make recieve calls. :-X

My advice, get a £1 simm card and try them all before you commit. :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 January 2018, 01:09:03 »

£5 Sky 1gb data, unlimited text/calls (If you have a sky account)

My Three/O2 are both unlimited text/mins and 4gb data, both £9 per month (Contracts)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #17 on: 29 January 2018, 09:27:57 »

Thanks all.

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.