Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power steering leak  (Read 1333 times)

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
Power steering leak
« on: 28 January 2018, 11:12:29 »

Having now addressed the failed oil cooler(a brilliant guide many thanks) I turn to the ps leak. I topped it up and it was ok for a day then it emptied completely over the subframe. The hose with the jubilee on seems fine clean and dry but down round the pump it's soaking. Any tips on where to start. Could it be a hose or will it be the pump itself. Are there any common failures. What do they cost. Pointers please.  Thanks in advance.

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Power steering leak
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2018, 17:09:42 »

Come on guys. I need some help. Having had a good poke round the pump looks clean. However the hose that goes out past the radiator  and then across the front seems a bit corroded and most of the fluid is on the flexible bit of the hose that sits on the chassis leg. Do these pipes fail. I plan to refill and watch for a leak while going from lock to lock. I see it is crimped. How are these replaced. Any more suggestions would be welcome.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2018, 17:48:15 »

Come on guys. I need some help. Having had a good poke round the pump looks clean. However the hose that goes out past the radiator  and then across the front seems a bit corroded and most of the fluid is on the flexible bit of the hose that sits on the chassis leg. Do these pipes fail. I plan to refill and watch for a leak while going from lock to lock. I see it is crimped. How are these replaced. Any more suggestions would be welcome.

Yes, they do fail. Mine didn't survive the handling necessary to change the ABS ECU near it.

Proper replacement means changing it for a new hose and pipe assembly - if you can find/afford one - and it's such a faff I wouldn't even consider a secondhand one. The good news is that PAS isn't particularly high pressure, and the hose is a standard size. So what you do is cut off the crimps with a Dremel, and fit a suitable piece of oil-resistant hose retained with Jubilee clips. Mine was an offcut from a truck factor and cost a couple of quid in the tea fund, but it's readily available from hydraulics suppliers too.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2018, 18:05:19 »

Yes, I'm afraid on these old girls the rubber does get age hardened, and can easily crack if mistreated. :y

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2018, 13:52:30 »

Well guys. It turned out to be the metal pipe from pump to front panel corroded where it goes through to front by side of rad. I got some hose and tried as suggested but even with two jubilee clips the pressure was to great and it blew the hose off. Also the pump is whining like mad so I guess it is done in.
Any suggestions. I feel like giving up with it and sending it to car heaven!!!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2018, 14:05:32 »

Pop to your local hydraulic parts supplied with the pipe, they will sort it (compression fittings and a short length of hose)  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.