Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange what they do  (Read 2261 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Strange what they do
« on: 29 January 2018, 20:28:19 »

From the main road there is[supposedly]no right turn onto our road.This is notified by the standard no right turn sign on a pole followed a few yards later by a straight arrow with the words ahead only painted on the road surface and then at the junction there are unbroken hash markings on the road.Plenty of people still ignore all three signs and make the right turn.At the other end of the road it bears to the left round a bend,there is no other way to go you have to follow the road yet when a lot of these right turners get to the bend they use their indicators to show they're making a left turn ??? ???

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Strange what they do
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2018, 20:40:55 »

A classic case of "it doesn,t apply to me" syndrome.

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2018, 20:47:06 »

Its no surprise people ignore certain road junctions/markings.

Most of the very busy Birmingham inner ring road has markings which were done on " bring your child to work day".

Birmingham council once installed a set of traffic lights on a little used not even "B" road junction. Took it all out after a month.

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2018, 20:50:09 »

I could go on, which I will. Brand new road widening scheme from the Spitfire Island to the Collector road Island.

Brand new tarmac, had to burn the markings off after a month and redo them to make full use of the new road scheme.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2018, 21:15:48 »

Highways "engineers" (what a misuse of the the term engineer) are generally deficient in common sense - have you ever seen a mini-roundabout that serves a useful purpose? There are several local to me that have priority signs/road markings that are universally ignored, and I am amazed that there aren't loads more accidents.

Ron.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2018, 23:53:06 »

It is truely annoying that the clowns continue to take the you know what ( 2 fingers right up)
some approaches to junctions are cluttered with information.
I recently  drove with a teenager approaching her 17th birthday.
She had  eyes on all the signage & called back the route  as we made progress.
On one of the approaches to a major road ahead, she could hardly keep up  with the info displayed.
Are risk assessements carried out on roads & junctions  ???  for us, I do have to wonder sometimes.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2018, 07:57:51 »

Perhaps with putting to much signage is an attempt to make people slow down as they cant take it all in

Keith ABS

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2018, 08:50:54 »

Current thinking for traffic is to slow it down, and break it up. Which is why complicated junctions replace working ones, long stretches of roads get several speed limit changes, extra pedestrian crossings appear etc, etc.

Whereas traffic that is flowing - even if that is slowly like rush hour on the motorway - is working, and should be left alone.

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2018, 09:00:49 »

At the exit of my local cinema there is a "left only" junction, not only signposted but there is a little pedestrian island that makes it all but impossible to turn right across the traffic due to it's triangular shape (you can probably imagine what this looks like).

Yet people still turn right, even though they are facing well left due to the island.

It's not like there's a roundabout you can swing around all of 15 yards away in order to achieve a "right" turn while obeying the signs (and not buggering the traffic flow for everyone else) .. oh, wait, there is.

(Junction bottom left, roundabout top right)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 January 2018, 09:47:59 »

Highways "engineers" (what a misuse of the the term engineer) are generally deficient in common sense - have you ever seen a mini-roundabout that serves a useful purpose?There are several local to me that have priority signs/road markings that are universally ignored, and I am amazed that there aren't loads more accidents.

Ron.

Yes, on a road I use quite a lot, they replaced a crossroads with a mini roundabout which worked quite well as there is an even flow of traffic from all sides. They then changed it back to a crossroads a number of years later which then saw tailbacks on the non priority side going back up to a mile at peak times.
In the middle of last year they changed it back to a mini roundabout and the queues are now gone, even at peak time there are only four or five cars in any one direction.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 January 2018, 10:06:58 »

So they actually learned from their mistakes? How amazing and unusual.
Most of my local ones are misplaced, forcing traffic to perform contortions on the road, and they refuse to relocate them in a sensible position - they, of course, know best (NOT)!  >:(

Ron.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2018, 10:15:36 »

Another problem is that road designers are no longer employed by the council, but are contractors who could be from the other end of the country. So they spend a couple of hours on site, and then make changes to fix the wrong problem.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 January 2018, 10:26:13 »

Really Nick; can they see where they went wrong, there?  :o

Ron.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 January 2018, 10:53:43 »

So they actually learned from their mistakes? How amazing and unusual.
Most of my local ones are misplaced, forcing traffic to perform contortions on the road, and they refuse to relocate them in a sensible position - they, of course, know best (NOT)!  >:(

Ron.

I took them a couple of years to correct it but at least they did and it`s miles better now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.