Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hacked For The First Time  (Read 5355 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Hacked For The First Time
« on: 05 February 2018, 18:25:30 »

For the first time, and it had to happen eventually, my bank had to contact me late this morning due to "suspicious activity" on my account involving £500 in total.

It turns out that four "purchases" were made using my PayPal details, with two being blocked, but two for computer parts going through and due to be delivered to an address in Burton-On-Trent!

I spent all afternoon on the phone to the bank, PayPal, and Action Fraud.  The fraudulent actions have been accepted by both PayPal and my bank, with refunds being issued. 

The odd thing was though, and no "expert" in any organisation I contacted, including BT, could explain why, after the attempted fraud, thousands of email's started to arrive from all over the World, with I think every language used!  Throughout the afternoon TWO emails EVERY SECOND was touching down, with the eventual grand total reaching 5,000+!!! :o :o :o :o 

I have now taken action to change my email address and delete the old one, but what an effort that was with 4 different BT customer services staff failing to provide any real help to stop the crazy number of email's. As I was changing the email addresses the BT system stated it could take "up to 60 days" for any changes could be made, and none of the BT staff could help me with that.  In the end I have sorted it all, and I have stopped the rouge email's!!  >:( >:( >:(

I am so careful,and ironically have hardly used Paypal, instead using a direct debit card payment, the details of which the fraudsters used.  How I just do not know, and perhaps will never know. Passwords are changed regularly, full security measures are on my devices,  I don't click onto any emails I do not expect and am very careful to use only legitimate, well known and rated, suppliers.

A life experience indeed! ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 05 February 2018, 18:27:33 by Lizzie Zoom »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Hacked For The First Time
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2018, 18:31:36 »

The email thing is not uncommon, and once it happens, all you can do is abandon it and get a new one.

As PP probably used same email address, it becomes a case of just guessing the password...   ...though more likely you used same email/pw combo on another site that has been compromised, and available for sale....
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2018, 18:46:40 »

I had some ne'er do well spent over £2000 on one of my credit cards. A bill for a large TV and assorted electrical appliances landed on my mat.

Financial security is weak. An enterprising 12 year old could probably crack most of it.   

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2018, 19:15:48 »

Why did it have to happen ‘eventually’? Do you think that everyone will be compromised at some point in the future?
Did you have two factor authentication activated on your PayPal account?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2018, 19:49:45 »

The email thing is not uncommon, and once it happens, all you can do is abandon it and get a new one.

As PP probably used same email address, it becomes a case of just guessing the password...   ...though more likely you used same email/pw combo on another site that has been compromised, and available for sale....

Thanks for the info TB.  That has reassured me that I have now done all I can, with my bank card cancelled as soon as I knew what had happened, and now with a new email address. :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2018, 19:55:52 »

Why did it have to happen ‘eventually’? Do you think that everyone will be compromised at some point in the future?
Did you have two factor authentication activated on your PayPal account?

That is the interesting fact, I do not use PP, always paying direct with my debit card. Once all this has died down and fully resolved I will certainly close my PP account.

Yes, I really believe that the cyber criminals will get most of us, or at least the companies we deal with as in my case due to poor security at corporate and national level.  After all big organisations, including the NHS, have been compromised at a national level with all their "systems security". What hope have us individuals got when even the "experts" in 3 major organisations had no answers for me? :o :o

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2018, 20:15:18 »

If you truly believe that most of us will be ‘hacked’ at some point, and large organisations have no way of defending themselves, then be prepared for something worse than a nuclear strike.

You are sitting at home on a winters evening, watching the telly, when the lights go out. In fact, everything goes out, street lights traffic lights, the works. To add to the sense of shock, house alarms ring out through the darkness, the only sound you can hear. You try to ring someone to see if their power is off, but neither your home phone or your mobile work, and with the heating going off, it’s starting to get a bit cold.
That could be the start of a major attack on our power grid. The first thing to hit would be a total lack of information. No radio, no phone, no street lights, no traffic lights, no ATMs to dispense money, no credit card terminals working, no tills at the supermarket, no pumps at the petrol station.

That big fella you cut up in your car last week is hanging around outside.

Have a nice day.  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2018, 20:22:19 »

If you truly believe that most of us will be ‘hacked’ at some point, and large organisations have no way of defending themselves, then be prepared for something worse than a nuclear strike.

You are sitting at home on a winters evening, watching the telly, when the lights go out. In fact, everything goes out, street lights traffic lights, the works. To add to the sense of shock, house alarms ring out through the darkness, the only sound you can hear. You try to ring someone to see if their power is off, but neither your home phone or your mobile work, and with the heating going off, it’s starting to get a bit cold.
That could be the start of a major attack on our power grid. The first thing to hit would be a total lack of information. No radio, no phone, no street lights, no traffic lights, no ATMs to dispense money, no credit card terminals working, no tills at the supermarket, no pumps at the petrol station.

That big fella you cut up in your car last week is hanging around outside.

Have a nice day.  ;D

Yes, all true!!  And we as a society are still increasing our reliance on electric power, with few back ups of any type when it goes off.  We are living on the edge, but only a few of us seem to recognise that.

I still have an oil lamp, candles, and a number of torches, but what good that we do me or anyone else if the big strike happens. :o

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 February 2018, 20:27:02 »

Activating 2 factor authentication can help reduce the likelihood of this happening again.  All of my important email/paypal/linkedin/etc accounts have it enabled.  It wont completely remove the risk but it makes it quite difficult to break.  I also have text alerts for debits over a certain amount from my main bank account.

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2018, 20:29:12 »

Activating 2 factor authentication can help reduce the likelihood of this happening again.  All of my important email/paypal/linkedin/etc accounts have it enabled.  It wont completely remove the risk but it makes it quite difficult to break.  I also have text alerts for debits over a certain amount from my main bank account.
What happens, Matt, if I press the “I don’t have access to my mobile phone” button on PayPal?

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 February 2018, 20:32:50 »

What happens, Matt, if I press the “I don’t have access to my mobile phone” button on PayPal?

You get asked a random selection of questions you have already provided the answers to when activating 2FA.  It works quite well.

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 05 February 2018, 20:47:22 »

You get asked a random selection of questions you have already provided the answers to when activating 2FA.  It works quite well.
Ta  :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 February 2018, 20:59:31 »

I always use a top up credit card for online purchases which automatically limits your financial exposure. Each account has 2 factor activation and an email that informs me of each login when these are available. Each account have a very long unique random characters and numbers string for my passwords. They are hand written on several A4 sheets of paper which I keep locked in my safe. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 05 February 2018, 21:05:15 »

I always use a top up credit card for online purchases which automatically limits your financial exposure. Each account has 2 factor activation and an email that informs me of each login when these are available. Each account have a very long unique random characters and numbers string for my passwords. They are hand written on several A4 sheets of paper which I keep locked in my safe. :y :y :y
I had a Monzo card for a while, not only the amount you pre-load can be spent, but you get an instant text showing your purchase, the store it was made at and the location on a map.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 February 2018, 22:00:38 »

Thanks Guffer :y

I do have two factor authentication on my main cards, and my bank do text me, as they did today, about anything unusual.  But, it seems whatever 'security' was with the PP account broke down.  The payments made even used a different version of my email, but that failed to be noted! >:(
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.