Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 100 years since women were given the vote.  (Read 5182 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: 100 years since women were given the vote.
« Reply #15 on: 07 February 2018, 16:55:35 »

Let us not forget that working class men were also allowed to vote for the first time in 1918.

Not something you hear the rabid feminists talk about. :(

Yes Opti, but the unfairness was it was ALL men over 21 years of age and with no stipulation on property ownership.

Women had been working very hard in the factories, in often very dangerous conditions, covering for the men absent on the front line and they still did not get parity with the men. ::) ::)

I agree, Lizzie.....but anybody watching all this 'votes for women' on the TV probably has no idea  there were plenty of uneducated and poor working class men who also had the shitty end of the stick.

No mention of this from the feminists because it doesn't fit with the 'downtrodden women' card they like to play.  :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 February 2018, 17:00:20 »

Let us not forget that working class men were also allowed to vote for the first time in 1918.

Not something you hear the rabid feminists talk about. :(

Yes Opti, but the unfairness was it was ALL men over 21 years of age and with no stipulation on property ownership.

Women had been working very hard in the factories, in often very dangerous conditions, covering for the men absent on the front line and they still did not get parity with the men. ::) ::)

I agree, Lizzie.....but anybody watching all this 'votes for women' on the TV probably has no idea  there were plenty of uneducated and poor working class men who also had the shitty end of the stick.

No mention of this from the feminists because it doesn't fit with the 'downtrodden women' card they like to play.  :)

I agree Opti, with many not remembering today that many of the estimated 772,000 of the British killed from 1914-18 were just those simple ill-educated working class folk who had once enjoyed life.  So many facts that so many today do not really appreciate even with the media and internet. ::) ::) ;)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 February 2018, 09:30:04 »

This is rather a false anniversary as only SOME women got the vote 100 years ago; only women of 30+ years of age who met minimum property owning standards. Men however could now vote in 1918 if they were over 21 years of age.  So inequality still existed.

It was only in 1928 that full voting rights were given to all women over the age of 21 years. ;)
See, look,.....       their doing that Protesting again  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 February 2018, 11:18:24 »

This is rather a false anniversary as only SOME women got the vote 100 years ago; only women of 30+ years of age who met minimum property owning standards. Men however could now vote in 1918 if they were over 21 years of age.  So inequality still existed.

It was only in 1928 that full voting rights were given to all women over the age of 21 years. ;)
See, look,.....       their doing that Protesting again  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But I do agree Zirk that it is now time for MEN as much as women to get equality.  As a women I can see how currently men are getting a raw deal, and are now probably afraid, and confused, about how to treat us. Do they still hold doors open;? Do they dare say "love" or "Darling" to a woman? Even more, do they dare to slightly "touch" a women, or girl, on the arm or shoulder, along with showing any affection as they may be classed as a "sex pest"?

Men and women MUST work alongside each other and get along with some feeling, with not being scarred of the sympathizing touch of the hand on the shoulder or arm, or caring words, regardless of their gender.  All that would be TRUE equality and pave the way to a better, fairer, society for ALL. ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 February 2018, 11:30:23 »

Well, it isn't going to happen, Lizzie, with all the media interest in continuing the gender war and sensationalist reporting of the most minor of "incidents"

There's a pub near Wareham, Dorset, called "The Silent Woman": the inn sign is of a beheaded lady with her head under her arm!  :y :y 8) ;D

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 February 2018, 11:34:18 »

Well, it isn't going to happen, Lizzie, with all the media interest in continuing the gender war and sensationalist reporting of the most minor of "incidents"

There's a pub near Wareham, Dorset, called "The Silent Woman": the inn sign is of a beheaded lady with her head under her arm!  :y :y 8) ;D

Ron.

The tipping point has been reached Ron, and now more and more the absurdity of a lot of the fuss is being recognised.  I just hope the pendulum does not swing all the way back!! :o :o :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 February 2018, 11:40:37 »

I hope you are right, because we can scarcely see an advert or sitcom nowadays without snide, belittleing remarks against men.
I know it's an elderly sitcom, but "Last of the Summer Wine" comes to mind as a good example, with the dreadful Horror Turd spouting venom in every episode.
Women didn't like it, yet they are happy to attack men in a similar way.

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 08 February 2018, 12:55:45 »

I've found the perfect way around it, Ron, I don't take any notice of it. I carry on the way I've always been, with comments about daft bints and nice arses. You'll find most people are the same, the male brain won't change overnight.

I'll give you an example of what I mean: on Look North last night there was a report about protesters refusing to leave the council offices. They were a bit miffed about Sheffield council cutting all their trees down. Typical middle aged hippies.
Anyhow, from the report you would guess that there were hundreds of people milling around and shouting and stuff. No. There were about 10 inside the building, one playing a guitar and the others wailing an unidentifiable tune, and 3 outside. The daft buggers outside were holding two placards each, doing their best to look like a crowd  ;D
So.....a non story that was only given legs by the way it was presented. There's a lot of it about.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 February 2018, 13:34:51 »

If you were to ask me the names of two women who really get on my tits I would have to say Harriet Harman and Jess Phillips.

Both seem to be a constant state of 'outrage' about the evils that men say and do.

Edwina Curry on the other hand seems to take a more reasonable approach.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 February 2018, 17:35:26 »

Men, on the other hand, are used to women's hormonal mood swings and take it all in our stride, calmly and without rancour.  :y 8)

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 February 2018, 17:44:41 »

Men, on the other hand, are used to women's hormonal mood swings and take it all in our stride, calmly and without rancour.  :y 8)

Ron.
This was one among many of the valid arguments against women being allowed to vote in the first place. I mean, you can't have all your dogs barking if you think throwing yourself under a horse moving at 30 MPH is a good idea.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 February 2018, 17:46:36 »

True, Dr. Opti - WE have more respect for horses!

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 February 2018, 18:29:18 »

Ron.
This was one among many of the valid arguments against women being allowed to vote in the first place. I mean, you can't have all your dogs barking if you think throwing yourself under a horse moving at 30 MPH is a good idea.

No, I studied this and with fellow students analysed that in fact Emily Davison was in fact trying to attach a suffragette scarf to the bridal of the King's horse.  She did not intend to fall under the horse and be killed, but she misjudged the speed of the animal. This is now the view of many historians ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 February 2018, 18:38:40 »

The vote I have no issue with.

But whatever moron decided to let women drive need shooting.  My journey home, I had to get out and stop the traffic so the bird in front would pull out onto a roundabout, not that anything was coming. Then another chick doing 35mph in NSL, until she hit a 30mph limit, when she speeded up to 40mph, only to drop back to 30mph when she cleared the town.

They should stay at home and look after pink jobs  >:(
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 February 2018, 18:41:39 »

Running on to the race track was still a dumb assed thing to do though!  ::)

It probably shows that there have been bimbo's all down the ages and that they are not a modern phenomenon! :-X  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.