Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: car battery  (Read 2194 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
car battery
« on: 09 February 2018, 21:39:58 »

for a few months now the battery on my mig has let me down on a few occasions but I have always managed to jump start it.. so within minutes its turned over. ecp are having  w/end 30% off sale. so picked up a 70 amp for £55 with a three year warranty. me thinks not bad.  :y :y  hope I can find my radio code.  ::)

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: car battery
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2018, 23:21:17 »

Make and CCA?
I've always found same or higher CCA more important for reliable starting than nominal capacity, especially in cold weather.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2018, 23:28:13 »

Make and CCA?
I've always found same or higher CCA more important for reliable starting than nominal capacity, especially in cold weather.

Interesting question !!

I was asked by a neighbour who knows I work on cars, if I knew a decent place to buy a good battery cheap ... I said I would do a little research for him, but what was the required capacity and CCA.......

His response ... "its a 2 litre and its insured through the AA" ....  after my total bemusement we eventually found out what was needed .. but he hadn't got a clue what I was talking about !!!! I had to show him the label on his battery, and he still didn't understand the terminology !!

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2018, 15:15:46 »

Make and CCA?

Interesting question !!

I was asked by a neighbour who knows I work on cars, if I knew a decent place to buy a good battery cheap ... I said I would do a little research for him, but what was the required capacity and CCA.......

His response ... "its a 2 litre and its insured through the AA" ....  after my total bemusement we eventually found out what was needed .. but he hadn't got a clue what I was talking about !!!! I had to show him the label on his battery, and he still didn't understand the terminology !!
Ive had similar with Computers when Ive asked what PC have you currently got, and the answer, a White one.  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2018, 17:46:20 »

for a few months now the battery on my mig has let me down on a few occasions but I have always managed to jump start it.. so within minutes its turned over. ecp are having  w/end 30% off sale. so picked up a 70 amp for £55 with a three year warranty. me thinks not bad.  :y :y  hope I can find my radio code.  ::)
Ouch :o

Suspect that's why I tend to get them from the dealer...
Grumpy old man

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2018, 13:09:48 »

I tried 3 dealers that are within 25mls of York & still do T.C & the answer from all was they no longer supply batteries that are suitable for an omega. my first thought was the initial dealer couldn't be bothered . then when the next 2 said the same thing then I assumed it must be right

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2018, 14:21:47 »

That surely needs some explanation: what is so different about Omegas that they cannot supply a battery to fit? They come in a wide range of standard sizes and I have never had trouble locating a suitable one for mine - spoiled for choice, in fact!

Ron.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2018, 15:17:07 »

I used to buy mine from Vauxhall Trade Club at Bellingers Grove until they ceased to be trade club in 2011ish. As I scrap cars I keep the batteries, so some survive. I have 2 on the bench at the moment, which I charge occasionally.

Automaticman

• Neston
  • Saxwood
    • Frontera V6 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2018, 22:07:07 »

Was looking at those also but I was told they are cheap and inferior as there isn't much lead in them being LI-ON is this true ?
When ya wanna shoot, shoot, dont talk !

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2018, 07:31:16 »

I tried 3 dealers that are within 25mls of York & still do T.C & the answer from all was they no longer supply batteries that are suitable for an omega. my first thought was the initial dealer couldn't be bothered . then when the next 2 said the same thing then I assumed it must be right
No problem buying a TC battery for mine last year. They are a standard GM battery the same as for my diesel astra so someone's pulling your leg.

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2018, 19:44:14 »

They do in Bournemouth  :y
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Cem1304

• Turkey
    • 97 omega V6 x25xe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2018, 12:39:28 »

I just buy for mine, there was none. For 185 Turkish Liras in todays currency £35 in Turkey. Off brand, I think mine is 70 apms too but just one year warranty. Recomended from family friend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.