Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rust treatment  (Read 1659 times)

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
rust treatment
« on: 02 April 2018, 12:40:10 »

What are the recommendations on rust treatments I treated a small section on my wheel arch about 6 months ago and the rust is showing through again. I used Loctite rust remedy and cleaned as much rust off as possible.I know cut out the area and weld but this is a very small section.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: rust treatment
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2018, 16:26:51 »

What are the recommendations on rust treatments I treated a small section on my wheel arch about 6 months ago and the rust is showing through again. I used Loctite rust remedy and cleaned as much rust off as possible.I know cut out the area and weld but this is a very small section.

Usually for small sections that aren't rotten just lightly grind off the rust with a grinder flapper disc, treat with a good rust treatment product, then wash down with clean water, thinners and apply a good few coats of primer and finish with top coat and lacquer. Usually it will come back in time though. I do find the more coats of primer the better. I've been doing repairs on a project I have stored up and one bit I had put about 5 coats of primer on new metal, the other bit only one coat, the one coat bit was rusting after a couple of months. The other bit was fine. Mind you primer is not waterproof so get a top coat on as quick as you can if you are using car out and about.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2018, 21:39:05 »

Bilthamber products are about the best ime.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2018, 23:15:59 »

Rust treatments are a waste of time and money, especially on panel joins like wheel arches or sills. That's because you're only 'curing' the outside, which is the last bit to show.

You do have options though. Two, but you won't like either of them:

1. Cut out ALL of the rust(most of which you can't see yet), and weld in fresh metal.
2. Ignore it until it gets really bad and scrap the car.

I have a pair of new sills for my car, which is a relatively quick and easy job. One that will probably prolong the car's life for a couple of years before the other crusty areas - like both subframe mounts - get too bad to be worth fixing. That's the butterfly moment; when the car is transformed into bean tins.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2018, 08:45:09 »

Thanks Nick That's made my day but I expected it. This small area that I treated I asked for a quote at a body shop and they quoted £ 600. More than the cars worth .I will treat it until I get feed up and then put a sticker over it.The problem is that we get so attached to these cars and don't want to let them go. :y

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2018, 17:45:32 »

Bilthamber products are about the best ime.

Agreed....

If you can get access to the rear of any repaired area by removing trim, it is worth the effort to use another product called Supertrol which is for internal box sections rather than exposed areas. It is superb for creeping into welded seams, and into the inside repaired uneven areas, rather than just bridging them as many wax based products do. I have used it on many occasions, and have seen it creep over a matter of weeks through a spot welded seem which was approx. 1/2" wide, and you know then that it has completely protected the 'unprotected' area between the spot welded seam which other wise would have very little, if any paint.
Now is the time you wish you had removed all the rear trim to gain access to the rear arches, and interior trim to access the inside of the sills, to do any rust prevention when the car was much much younger.....! Ask me if I have any rust on any of my Omega rear wheel arches......
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2018, 18:23:43 »

Thanks Nick That's made my day but I expected it. This small area that I treated I asked for a quote at a body shop and they quoted £ 600. More than the cars worth .I will treat it until I get feed up and then put a sticker over it.The problem is that we get so attached to these cars and don't want to let them go. :y

That's the answer for an Omega!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.