Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tumble drier failure  (Read 4913 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Tumble drier failure
« on: 02 April 2018, 15:51:43 »

I shouldn't grumble, we must have had it 15 -20 years, but our Creda has just packed up. Model is Simplicity T620CW. It is, as it says on the tin, Simplicity to operate.
Symptoms are:
When On/Off push button selected On, with timer selected to anywhere but zero, (ie motor should run), the starter relay operates with no rotation of drum, and the main cct breaker in the house consumer unit trips.
When On/Off push button selected On, with timer at zero, (ie no demand to rotate) the starter relay operates but does not trip the house cct breaker. I have checked the supply lead for shorts which is OK.
Any electrickery experts with any ideas? I'm thinking possibly a short in the motor. :-\ :-\ :-\

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Tumble drier failure
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2018, 15:53:50 »

:( That doesn't sound good

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2018, 16:11:21 »

If the RCD is tripping , then either +Live or -neutral is "leaking" to put it in simple terms
could be many things
damp (common in a dryer by nature) causing a short to earth
heather element gone,shorting out
motor damp/carbon brush debris
damage to any of the insulation of internal wiring loom

with the machine un-plugged you could have a look inside for damage. loose wire,damp
(damp you can dry with a hair dryer)

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2018, 16:30:08 »

Don’t buy a new one as they are so confusing to operate. There must be about 20 odd drying settings on mine. All i want is to dry my clothes so i can wear them lol

I would say its more moisture got into the motor somehow and causing the short

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2018, 16:42:05 »

Confirm which trip - RCD or normal trip?

If RCD, I'd suggest looking at element first, if main, go looking for a short somewhere, and inspect the loom.

Should be reasonably easy to trace it down, by simply unplugging element or motor (or any other component for that matter).
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2018, 18:09:55 »

Thanks Dave, thinking about it, I moved it to another room shortly before it failed and some water spilled from the condenser tank, so damp may be the answer if the water got onto any of the electrickery at the bottom. I have the top off at present, but will get underneath tomorrow.
It is the main RCD that trips.
Ian, I agree, I looked at replacing it due age, but the new ones have all sorts of controls, who needs them? This one is so simple I would like to hang onto it if I can.
Cheers guys, I'll let you know if I get on to it tomorrow. Trouble is, I moved it from the utility room to do some floor leveling and lay some new vinyl  tiles, so these take priority. :y :y :y

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 02 April 2018, 18:44:25 »

Thanks Dave, thinking about it, I moved it to another room shortly before it failed and some water spilled from the condenser tank, so damp may be the answer if the water got onto any of the electrickery at the bottom. I have the top off at present, but will get underneath tomorrow.
Ian, I agree, I looked at replacing it due age, but the new ones have all sorts of controls, who needs them? This one is so simple I would like to hang onto it if I can.
Cheers guys, I'll let you know if I get on to it tomorrow. Trouble is, I moved it from the utility room to do some floor leveling and lay some new vinyl  tiles, so these take priority. :y :y :y
Not only do the new ones have daft settings like 'iron dry'(still wet),'cupboard dry'(damp)and 'extra dry'(almost dry) they never dry them to my liking and I always have to take some things out and leave some in to do again.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 April 2018, 19:11:45 »

Not only do the new ones have daft settings like 'iron dry'(still wet),'cupboard dry'(damp)and 'extra dry'(almost dry) they never dry them to my liking and I always have to take some things out and leave some in to do again.

You are very domesticated. ;D

In England we have women to perform menial chores. It gives them a sense of purpose. :)

You know more about tumble dryer settings than is good for you. :)
« Last Edit: 02 April 2018, 19:13:20 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2018, 19:26:14 »

We have a washing line.  That never blows trips.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 02 April 2018, 19:28:38 »

In England we have women to perform menial chores. It gives them a sense of purpose. :)

You know so much more about everything than i do. :)
I don't mind the menial chores. After all, my wife has to go out to work for 12 hours every weekday, in order to keep me in the manner to which I've become accustomed. Pressing a few buttons is the least I can do.  :)
And you're quite right, I do know more than you about everything.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2018, 19:31:35 »

Is it a full size one? as I know where there is a nearly new 1/2 size one going cheap....simple controls on it.....ie timer and 1/2 or full heat.......tho it isn't a condensing dryer....

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 April 2018, 19:40:01 »

It's the Omega owners thinking,it's old,it's knackered and it's worthless so it's got to be repaired rather than replaced. 8)

relluf

« Reply #12 on: 02 April 2018, 20:46:40 »

We have a washing line.  That never blows it dry😊

Ftfy

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 April 2018, 22:29:31 »

Is it a full size one? as I know where there is a nearly new 1/2 size one going cheap....simple controls on it.....ie timer and 1/2 or full heat.......tho it isn't a condensing dryer....

Yes full size Dave, only 6Kg though. I am horrified at the price of new ones, probably because of all the programmes we don't want. >:(

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 April 2018, 22:30:31 »

It's the Omega owners thinking,it's old,it's knackered and it's worthless so it's got to be repaired rather than replaced. 8)

Nah, I've always thought this way. If it can be fixed, fix it. :-X

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 April 2018, 22:36:02 »

New one could be ordered, delivered and installed in the time it takes to work out which piece of electrickery has broken...  :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 April 2018, 22:37:16 »

New one could be ordered, delivered and installed in the time it takes to work out which piece of electrickery has broken...  :-X

But not for the price. ::) 8)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 April 2018, 22:46:22 »

If you'd bothered to read the thread properly, you'd know that Shack is afraid of modern tumble driers!  ::)  :P  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 April 2018, 23:03:06 »

That much is clear from the get go ;D

Unfortunately twin tubs don't last for ever...
Onanists always think outside the box.

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 April 2018, 07:35:56 »

I don't mind the menial chores. After all, my wife has to go out to work for 12 hours every weekday, in order to keep me in the manner to which I've become accustomed. Pressing a few buttons is the least I can do.  :)

Where she work? Downt mine with whippet int tow  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 April 2018, 07:53:17 »

That much is clear from the get go ;D

Unfortunately twin tubs don't last for ever...
My mother doesn't understand why they're so hard to buy....

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 03 April 2018, 08:34:32 »

Where she work? Downt mine with whippet int tow  ;D
Don't be silly. She doesn't take the dog with her.

aaronjb

« Reply #22 on: 03 April 2018, 09:08:25 »

We have a washing line.  That never blows trips.

But you're still waiting for the clothes you put out in February to dry...  :D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 April 2018, 09:35:10 »

Success, after warming it up with a fan heater overnight, it now works OK. Clearly water got into something when I moved it.

Thanks all for suggestions. Another OOF facility not envisaged when it started I opine. :y

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 April 2018, 11:52:30 »

Success, after warming it up with a fan heater overnight, it now works OK. Clearly water got into something when I moved it.

Thanks all for suggestions. Another OOF facility not envisaged when it started I opine. :y

Give the reported failures of tumble driers, fridge freezers etc causing fires (IE: Grenfell Tower), I would have got rid of it rather than some makeshift solution to an ancient appliance. I like to sleep at night.  ::)

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 April 2018, 12:00:36 »

There have been plenty of scandals regarding modern tumble driers catching fire.  ;)

Largely, I suspect, because users CBA to clean the filters.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #26 on: 03 April 2018, 12:07:25 »

There have been plenty of scandals regarding modern tumble driers catching fire.  ;)

Or, in Hotpoint's case, "We can save 0.0005p on this component, it'll just push the MTBF up 5%"*

(*Probably. I'm speculating)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 April 2018, 12:26:08 »

sounds like it lasted 20 years without catching fire so far  ;)
I've fixed many appliances in my time ,to many to remember  ::)
if you want a basic dryer that is reliable, cheap,cheap parts ,easy to fix
get  a simple white knight vented one

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 April 2018, 13:02:37 »

Or, in Hotpoint's case, "We can save 0.0005p on this component, it'll just push the MTBF up 5%"*

(*Probably. I'm speculating)

Where MTBF = Mean Time Before Fire!

or

Mean Time Before Fekkking RUN!!! :o

.. and the fix for the Hotpoint ones appears to be to install a thermal trip that requires the machine to be stripped down to reset, and it trips about once a month. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 April 2018, 17:36:35 »

Ftfy
Whats wrong with a washing line? Far better than a stupid fire generator.
Grumpy old man

relluf

« Reply #30 on: 03 April 2018, 17:57:46 »

Ftfy

No nothing at all 😊
It's what we use all the time,no tumble dryer here!
But it takes forever at this time of year, a pair of jeans have been out for a week or so now!
Maybe when spring gets her😊

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03 April 2018, 18:05:44 »

Must be the exposed breeze here, dries in an hour, even now, assuming rain holds off that long.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03 April 2018, 18:48:06 »

Give the reported failures of tumble driers, fridge freezers etc causing fires (IE: Grenfell Tower), I would have got rid of it rather than some makeshift solution to an ancient appliance. I like to sleep at night.  ::)

Huh??? ???

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 April 2018, 18:50:48 »

Ftfy

For some reason 'er indoors does washing almost every day, and given the amount of rain we get, inevitably the tumble drier gets called into use. But I agree, the washing line is much better, and still gets plenty of use. :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03 April 2018, 18:59:25 »

SWMBO wouldn,t be without her washing line. Unfortunately a lot of people these days don,t have a garden big enough.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04 April 2018, 18:29:58 »

SWMBO wouldn,t be without her washing line. Unfortunately a lot of people these days don,t have a garden big enough.
That's when you share with the house opposite ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.