Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Part to change over to screw on oil filter  (Read 2767 times)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
Part to change over to screw on oil filter
« on: 04 April 2018, 17:27:43 »

I am looking to convert my 2002 2.6 to screw on filter. After trying different places, for the threaded part PN 90412159. Vauxhall Superstore have said this part will work. vauxhallsuperstore.co.uk/product/Connector_90144360 can anyone tell me if it will work?

Thanks in advance
Addy
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
Re: Part to change over to screw on oil filter
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2018, 20:49:27 »

Just done this Modification. 

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=142050.msg1849498#msg1849498

I used this -

https://qedmotorsport.co.uk/qed-shop/vauxhall-xe-c20xe/lubrication/standard-filter-adaptor

It's M18 both ends - Buy the right filter and you can check it fits before attempting to remove the  hollow bolt with 12mm internal hex which holds it all together.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2018, 17:49:17 »

Any particular reason you want to do this retrograde step?  The later type is far easier/cleaner to do  :-\
Grumpy old man

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2018, 22:25:32 »

Any particular reason you want to do this retrograde step?  The later type is far easier/cleaner to do  :-\

5 litres of fully synthetic leaked out in 500 miles might be one good reason. (I had to stop every 80 or so miles and add more oil)

The later type has NO logic to it. Why did GM fit what is clearly SOMETHING that much more expensive AND COMPLEX ? I'd love to see the Engineering change request.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2018, 22:33:56 »

5 litres of fully synthetic leaked out in 500 miles might be one good reason. (I had to stop every 80 or so miles and add more oil)

The later type has NO logic to it. Why did GM fit what is clearly SOMETHING that much more expensive AND COMPLEX ? I'd love to see the Engineering change request.

In 10 years & about 10 oil changes I had zero problems with the paper cartridge type oil filter. What's so COMPLEX about it over a spin on filter? It's not just GM that use paper filters, paper filters have been used for years & years .... my Smarts & Merc have them.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2018, 22:39:50 »

My only gripe with paper filters is my ratchet only gets 1 click each time, when un-doing the filter.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2018, 22:51:28 »

My only gripe with paper filters is my ratchet only gets 1 click each time, when un-doing the filter.

Can't remember with mine, but you'd not need the ratchet for long before you could spin it off by hand.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2018, 23:20:15 »

Can't remember with mine, but you'd not need the ratchet for long before you could spin it off by hand.

Yeah only takes a few goes before it's by hand  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2018, 04:46:00 »

In 10 years & about 10 oil changes I had zero problems with the paper cartridge type oil filter. What's so COMPLEX about it over a spin on filter? It's not just GM that use paper filters, paper filters have been used for years & years .... my Smarts & Merc have them.
What you are failing to appreciate is that the Mercedes etc have the cap pointing upwards, which makes it almost impossible to get oil everywhere when changing the filter... Besides, all the oil in the housing is able to drain to the sump, which does not seem to happen with the Omega set up as the pump drains to the filter ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2018, 07:40:39 »

Paper filters were the "old"way manufacturers then went to spin on.Some while ago the green brigade got involved and demanded a greater percentage of recyclability of cars at end of life,one way to do this was go back to paper filters as you only have to recycle the filter and not the filter plus its canister.From what I can gather spin on filters are for some reason cheaper than the element type.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 April 2018, 08:10:05 »

What you are failing to appreciate is that the Mercedes etc have the cap pointing upwards, which makes it almost impossible to get oil everywhere when changing the filter... Besides, all the oil in the housing is able to drain to the sump, which does not seem to happen with the Omega set up as the pump drains to the filter ::)
My Smarts' aren't  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2018, 22:36:36 »

Yes, well... The Smart car is an oxymoron from front number plate to rear humber ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 April 2018, 10:20:39 »

Get a better ratchet ;)

That said, I tend to use a 24mm spanner on it, as it gives more room as it'll slot between cat and bellhousing.  Or if I have the airline out anyway, use an air ratchet, but that's more bone idleness ;D.  I only usually need to crack it with the spanner, then rotate cap by hand.

Same for refit.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 April 2018, 10:24:24 »

And this is precisely why the later filter design is cleaner, because the oil doesn't run all over the block (and around the crank sensor, probably assisting its demise).

GM's location and orientation for the filter isn't ideal, and even less so in RWD applications, but at least the newer design allows for much cleaner changes than the old spin on type.
Grumpy old man

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 April 2018, 10:32:38 »

Just out of interest, loctite now do a new red stud locker loctite 263, they say it Replaces LoctiteŽ 270 and LoctiteŽ 271 formulations.

I haven't done the conversion yet, just looking into doing it. And sorting out prices.
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.