Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIAT 2018  (Read 1697 times)

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
RIAT 2018
« on: 07 May 2018, 15:12:05 »

Anyone going this year?

As its the 100th year of the RAF, I'd thought id make an effort and just booked my ticket for the Sunday (as Sunday is still at earlybird price)

I just hope its a nice day, otherwise its a bloody expensive day to get pished on  ::)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: RIAT 2018
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2018, 17:15:06 »

Anyone going this year?

As its the 100th year of the RAF, I'd thought id make an effort and just booked my ticket for the Sunday (as Sunday is still at earlybird price)

I just hope its a nice day, otherwise its a bloody expensive day to get pished on  ::)

Err - The main RAF celebration flypast is Friday only. This is also the day that The Queen is to inspect the RAF, and to make matters worse, Trump is in the UK that day too. The schedule hasn't been confirmed yet, but the spotters jungle drums think Trump and the Queen will watch the flypast together from Windsor, and the flypast will continue to Fairford afterwards. Currently supposed to be 50 aircraft including the BBMF. Gonna cause chaos at Heathrow!

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2018, 07:53:54 »

Anyone going this year?

Err - The main RAF celebration flypast is Friday only. This is also the day that The Queen is to inspect the RAF, and to make matters worse, Trump is in the UK that day too. The schedule hasn't been confirmed yet, but the spotters jungle drums think Trump and the Queen will watch the flypast together from Windsor, and the flypast will continue to Fairford afterwards. Currently supposed to be 50 aircraft including the BBMF. Gonna cause chaos at Heathrow!

Yes and a reason why I didn't want to go on Friday. The place will be packed out, I don't want to wait in a queue for an hour or so, just to see something or other. I'd rather go on, hopefully, a quieter day.

Plus depending on how the flypast approaches Fairford, it may come over Swindon  :-\

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2018, 09:52:04 »

Anyone going this year?

Yes and a reason why I didn't want to go on Friday. The place will be packed out, I don't want to wait in a queue for an hour or so, just to see something or other. I'd rather go on, hopefully, a quieter day.

Plus depending on how the flypast approaches Fairford, it may come over Swindon  :-\

I've been to IAT/RIAT every year since 1979. Saturday is always the busiest day, with anything up to 100K visitors. This is the first year of a full Friday display though, so no-one is sure how that will affect things. I recon it'll be the quietest - most people have to go to work. Crowds are lower now than back in the 80's and 90's due to the advance booking requirements, so there are no on the day tickets - They say they limit attendance to 80K per day.

IMV No chance the flypast will overfly Swindon, though you may be able to see it in the distance from there. The route will be published by NOTAM in advance, but will likely be over Abingdon, Fairford and out to South Cerney or Kemble. If holding is needed it'll be over Brize.

We usually go on Saturday - leave Yeovil at 5AM, in the car park for 6:30AM, and gates open at 7AM. We then bail out between 15:30 and 16:00, over to Brize and then down to Farnborough on trade show years. If you don't join the queue to get in till 8AM, or try to leave between 5PM and 6PM then expect a looonnnnggg wait. If you live in Swindon, then seriously consider the Shuttle bus - it uses the (closed) back roads through Hannington Wick.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2018, 12:56:50 »

Anyone going this year?

I've been to IAT/RIAT every year since 1979. Saturday is always the busiest day, with anything up to 100K visitors. This is the first year of a full Friday display though, so no-one is sure how that will affect things. I recon it'll be the quietest - most people have to go to work. Crowds are lower now than back in the 80's and 90's due to the advance booking requirements, so there are no on the day tickets - They say they limit attendance to 80K per day.

IMV No chance the flypast will overfly Swindon, though you may be able to see it in the distance from there. The route will be published by NOTAM in advance, but will likely be over Abingdon, Fairford and out to South Cerney or Kemble. If holding is needed it'll be over Brize.

We usually go on Saturday - leave Yeovil at 5AM, in the car park for 6:30AM, and gates open at 7AM. We then bail out between 15:30 and 16:00, over to Brize and then down to Farnborough on trade show years. If you don't join the queue to get in till 8AM, or try to leave between 5PM and 6PM then expect a looonnnnggg wait. If you live in Swindon, then seriously consider the Shuttle bus - it uses the (closed) back roads through Hannington Wick.

I do and I am  :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2018, 14:26:52 »

Yes, will be there on the Saturday with the Uni boys (lads camping)

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2018, 15:24:32 »

I thought the nearest you get is a local pub  ::) ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2018, 15:34:25 »

I thought the nearest you get is a local pub  ::) ;D

Ah yes well, things have changed since my lad comes with me (sensible parent and all that..... ::) ::) ::))   :y :y ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2018, 18:00:54 »

sensible parent and all that
'dangle berries' ;D.

Give it a couple of years, and when you get back home stinking of booze, birds and fags, you can tell the missus it was firstborn that led you astray ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.