Chat Area > General Car Chat

My turn for a clutch problem - Astra H

(1/4) > >>

Gaffers:
So the missus' Astra cluth has been problematic recently with getting in to gear first thing being intermittently difficult.  I noticed the brake/clutch fluid was very old and flushed the entire system.  Some of it was nearly black when it came out.  This resolved the problem but it came back with a vengeance last night.  The missus popped out and the clutch failed entirely, being impossible get in to any gear with the engine running.  I met her and noticed the fluid was at 'low' in the filler reservoir so I started in first and rev-matched it to get home.  Once the reservoir was topped up and the clutch primed a few dozen times the resistance in the pedal came back and it worked again.  I did notice that the pedal get a little spongy after a few minutes if not used, but once a full press and release is performed the resistance returns and all is well again. 

Everything points to a leak but there are no tell-tale marks on the driveway to indicate fluid is escaping.  Therefore it might be the master/operating cylinder.  I have yet to get it up on the ramps to get a decent look underneath but before I do what the thoughts/advice from the learned masses?

Doctor Gollum:
Any evidence of fluid either in the bulkhead insulation or under the carpet?

Gaffers:
Not that I noticed, but I didn't check.  I will have a look when the swmbo is back next.

Gaffers:
Passenger well is dry.  More research indicates that it is most likely the slave probably letting air in and occasionally dumping a load of fluid (ie not a constant leak.  This can be caused by the DMF bearing having gone causing damage to the slave bearing seal.  At least that is what a local garage has said.  Best case scenario about 400quid for the slave and clutch, or double if the DMF needs to be replaced.

Ouch.

Nick W:
Makes the traditional two bolts and a hydraulic connection £25 external slave look like a good idea doesn't it? You know, the sort you could change while the kettle boiled?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version