Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Heathrow's 3rd runway  (Read 4459 times)

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
Re: Heathrow's 3rd runway
« Reply #15 on: 21 June 2018, 23:29:23 »

as a good proportion of people flying from "thiefrow" are not local, why not build/extend a regional airport?
it would cut down on the amount of traffic to the bloody airport,

Humberside airport lands and takes off over farmland or the sea, and its next to the M180,

norwich has an internation airpost but no decent roads to it. several billion could build a nice motorway too.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 June 2018, 23:32:27 »

Much of the travel to and from Thiefrow (I like that) is business travel in and out of London. With the best will in the world, that isn't going to change.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 June 2018, 00:28:09 »

I’m glad the 3rd runway is coming. It means I can keep using BHX and getting from my car to the gate in 30mins flat, any time of the day or year. Heathrow is awful and more runways will only make it worse.

We’re using it to fly to Aus next year, but only because the air miles are paying.  ;D

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 June 2018, 00:34:32 »

as a good proportion of people flying from "thiefrow" are not local, why not build/extend a regional airport?
it would cut down on the amount of traffic to the bloody airport,

Humberside airport lands and takes off over farmland or the sea, and its next to the M180,

norwich has an internation airpost but no decent roads to it. several billion could build a nice motorway too.

Neither Humberside nor Norwich justify the investment - they're too far from the passengers, and are frankly pi55holes in aviation terms. The international airlines already have the option of flying into many of them, but chose not to. There have been scheduled services from Bristol to Newark in the recent past, but passenger numbers simply didn't support it. People would rather travel 2hrs to Heathrow to take advantage of the cheaper prices that come from the competition of multiple airlines.

Any new runways need to be within 1hr of London, and 2hrs of a large proportion of the rest of the UK population. That really means it has to be west or north west of London - in prime Tory commuter green belt. If we were starting from scratch, Heathrow should probably be 'moved' to somewhere half way between London and Oxford, but it'll never happen.

For long haul wide body airliners you need a minimum of 10000ft runway(s) and 12000ft+ is better. There are currently only six 10K+ (civil) runways in England - two at Heathrow, one each at Gatters and Stanners, and two at Manchester. Heathrow needs two new runways - one 12K+ although the other could be shorter (say 8K), Gatwick needs another 12K+, and if Stansted want's one then Ok - but it's not my favourite site. 

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 June 2018, 07:31:59 »

Here's a radical plan, build a brand new airport, maybe call it Boris island, then leave Heathrow as an immigration detion, reciption centre, as it's staffed by mainly illegals now.
Hoof'land storeman.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 June 2018, 08:22:49 »

There should be 2, 1 at Heathrow and another at Gatwick.  By the time this 3rd runway is built we will be out of capacity again because we are already behind the curve.

Plus you have to factor in resilience for incidents like when the NATS phone system went down and it closed Heathrow.  If all your eggs are in one basket.......

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 June 2018, 08:31:17 »

3rd Runway is just plain nuts and driven by big business. As things are there is an almost constant steam of planes in or out. Only a matter of time before one of 'em drops on top of Westminster. Yes of course it's the safest in the World etc etc  . . . . until it happens. Besides, with everyone trying to save the planet, shouldn't we be trying to reduce air travel not encourage it ?

Ah yes of course, the fear factor. "If we don't do this then Frankfurt will take over as the critical Euro hub". So what ? let them.  ::)

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 June 2018, 10:23:31 »

3rd Runway is just plain nuts and driven by big business. As things are there is an almost constant steam of planes in or out. Only a matter of time before one of 'em drops on top of Westminster. Yes of course it's the safest in the World etc etc 

The last time it happened in the UK (by accident), a PanAm B747 fell on Lockerbie, killing 259 on board and 11 on the ground. Lockerbie is nowhere near any major airport yet...

If someone decides to crash a plane by malign intent, then you can't stop them. Moving LHR out into the sticks won't stop a terrorist trying to plant one in Westminster.

So the only thing you'll cure by moving LHR is takeoff/approach/landing incidents.  IMV the biggest danger there is easterly take-offs. Landing accidents tend to occur within a mile of the approach, which is kept clear of permanent obsticals and the airport fire brigade can get there PDQ too. A plane just dropping out of the sky over central London is no more likely than over any other built up area.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 June 2018, 12:24:14 »

3rd Runway is just plain nuts and driven by big business. As things are there is an almost constant steam of planes in or out. Only a matter of time before one of 'em drops on top of Westminster. Yes of course it's the safest in the World etc etc 

The last time it happened in the UK (by accident), a PanAm B747 fell on Lockerbie, killing 259 on board and 11 on the ground. Lockerbie is nowhere near any major airport yet...

If someone decides to crash a plane by malign intent, then you can't stop them. Moving LHR out into the sticks won't stop a terrorist trying to plant one in Westminster.

So the only thing you'll cure by moving LHR is takeoff/approach/landing incidents.  IMV the biggest danger there is easterly take-offs. Landing accidents tend to occur within a mile of the approach, which is kept clear of permanent obsticals and the airport fire brigade can get there PDQ too. A plane just dropping out of the sky over central London is no more likely than over any other built up area.

I thought Lockerbie was a bomb ?

I still take the view that increasing the density of aircraft in any one area, increases the possibility of a disaster, not necessarily by malicious intent. Where's my tin hat   ::)

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 June 2018, 12:44:43 »

It was.

I still take the view that increasing the density of aircraft in any one area, increases the possibility of a disaster, not necessarily by malicious intent. Where's my tin hat   ::)
Best look at a UK airways map then, and make sure you don't buy a house under any of them. Virtually all transatlantic traffic from Northern Europe overflies the UK and that amounts to many more flights than use LHR daily. Just look at all them blue lines :-)

https://skyvector.com/?ll=51.41256951653948,-1.7265014624360912&chart=304&zoom=4&fpl=undefined

And then there are the Military Training Areas, Military Air to Air Refuelling areas.

If a plane falls out of the sky you need a bunker, not a tin hat.

aaronjb

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 June 2018, 12:51:43 »

The biggest threat to central Lundun is actually London City Airport ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 June 2018, 13:29:18 »

It was.

Best look at a UK airways map then, and make sure you don't buy a house under any of them. Virtually all transatlantic traffic from Northern Europe overflies the UK and that amounts to many more flights than use LHR daily. Just look at all them blue lines :-)

https://skyvector.com/?ll=51.41256951653948,-1.7265014624360912&chart=304&zoom=4&fpl=undefined

And then there are the Military Training Areas, Military Air to Air Refuelling areas.

If a plane falls out of the sky you need a bunker, not a tin hat.

Might be the odd glider or two on a nice day, too:  ;)

http://glidertracker.org/#lat=51.198&lon=-0.984&z=11

.. but they aren't all predominantly 2 engined jets stooging around a couple of thousand feet up in prime bird strike territory like we have over London.

It might not happen often, but it happened to Sully. Luckily he had a big expanse of water to put it down in. Not sure a double engine failure at 3,000 ft above London would have been as survivable. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 June 2018, 14:22:06 »

It might not happen often, but it happened to Sully. Luckily he had a big expanse of water to put it down in. Not sure a double engine failure at 3,000 ft above London would have been as survivable. :-\

Sully's incident was shortly after take off, and I agree that for an easterly departure OTT London it'd be a problem. However, prevailing winds are westerly, so the majority of departures are to the west, and there are lots of green spaces there so there are lots of options which shouldn't involve casualties on the ground although the fate of the passengers is down to pilot skill and luck. I'm not sure that justifies banning 09L/R takeoffs though.

There is always the possibility of a Concorde type issue where the crew are believed to have been trying to divert from CdG into Le Bourget but lost control and crashed into a Hotel killing 4 people on the ground. Aviation is littered with on-off causes of accidents which will never be repeated, and no-matter how small the risk it can never be nil. Moving LHR to Rockall doesn't make it nil over London either.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 June 2018, 14:26:18 »

I see no one has mentioned Durham Tees Valley yet !
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.