Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning the Omega.  (Read 3888 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Cleaning the Omega.
« on: 22 June 2018, 22:26:49 »

I recently received a parcel of cleaning materials - body, wheels, glass, cockpit etc., from RCP that I never ordered, reportedly worth £20. Apparently, I won a competition that I never knew I had entered!
My question is, not having cleaned ANY car since the days of Stockinette, is that still a good material to use, or have we moved on?
Whilst I am at it, I might touch up some bumper scuffs, maybe a gentle rub down ot T-Cut, quick rattle-can dusting of primer then some Z-something silver topcoat.
Do I need to apply clear lacquer over it?
Can you tell that I'm no expert?  ???

Ron.

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning the Omega.
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2018, 01:28:28 »

Microfibre washmit for the washy bit.

Microfibre cloths are the way to go these days for polishing/interior/windows.

Costco do a large pack of good quality ones. (but you probably won't need that many as you don't do much car cleaning).

You'll be an expert again before you know it!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2018, 01:55:59 »

I DO clean it, but not personally - I take it to the local hand car wash place where nice young ladies do it for me!
I'll have to see if I have a Costco near me; do you have to have a trade card?

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2018, 07:43:14 »

As said microfibre cloths are way to go for the washing/polishing part and yes to applying clear laquer to your paint repairs.Depends how deep the scuffs are as to whether you'll need to flat/prime them before painting.

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2018, 09:14:28 »

I use Greased Lightning. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greased-Lightning-Showroom-Waterless-Polish/dp/B006MDJM0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529740734&sr=8-1&keywords=grease+lightning+car

This stuff is amazing. Been using it for years. No washing and the more you use it the less you need, and the quicker and easier it gets to clean. The bees wax in it builds up to give an amazing shine that last and protects. First got it from QVC.  :y :y 

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2018, 14:06:45 »

I use Greased Lightning. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greased-Lightning-Showroom-Waterless-Polish/dp/B006MDJM0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529740734&sr=8-1&keywords=grease+lightning+car

This stuff is amazing. Been using it for years. No washing and the more you use it the less you need, and the quicker and easier it gets to clean. The bees wax in it builds up to give an amazing shine that last and protects. First got it from QVC.  :y :y

Maybe a daft question, but looking at that product it states no water required.  So, as a dirty car that requires a good wash, where does all the muck and grime go if not washed off first?  Does it not all end up in your cleaning cloth that then becomes more like a Brillo pad on your lovely paintwork, with all the built up muck and grim cutting it's way in? :o :o

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2018, 15:52:57 »

I'm with Lizzie on this.I used to see it advertised on QVC when Maureen used to watch that channel and it always puzzled me how you could spray something onto a dirty car and wipe it off to achieve a shine without scratching the hell out of the paintwork.As far as I can see the dirt has to go somewhere and that has to be on the cloth or whatever that your rubbing all over the car.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2018, 15:59:06 »

I'm glad you said that, Lizzie: SWMBO always sprays furniture polish onto our polished wooden surfaces, thinking that the dust will magically evapourate, instead of being trapped onto the surface of the wood forever! Or, as Baza said, making grinding paste for the surfaces..... >:(

Ron.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2018, 16:05:11 »

My mate tried this on my otherwise perfect but dirty bootlid.using one of the waterless cleaners he was so raving about. The lid ended up absolutely covered in scrstches so deep they would not machine polish out and ended up needed the lid respraying.maybee and most likely he didnt follow the instructions properly ,who knows but it was a total disaster none the less.
Its like the dry shampoos you can get for your hair. If youve been doing some undersealing and got covered its not likely to work is it ?
All a matter of preferance but i wouldnt use one .

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2018, 10:07:48 »

My mate tried this on my otherwise perfect but dirty bootlid.using one of the waterless cleaners he was so raving about. The lid ended up absolutely covered in scrstches so deep they would not machine polish out and ended up needed the lid respraying.maybee and most likely he didnt follow the instructions properly ,who knows but it was a total disaster none the less.
Its like the dry shampoos you can get for your hair. If youve been doing some undersealing and got covered its not likely to work is it ?
All a matter of preferance but i wouldnt use one .

The only waterless cleaner I would ever use is the one in the link. The deep shine it gave my old burgundy BMW 320 was amazing and was always commented on. Its down to the wax that's in it. I have used others and some of it is not good. The one mistake a few people seem to make is not spraying enough on to encapsulate the dirt into the cloth which stops it scratching the paint finish. After use you need to throw the cloth away and use a new one next time.

I am not saying you should try it, but I have used it on 2 brand new cars as well and I wouldn't use anything else myself.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 June 2018, 10:27:28 »

Just wash it first (with lots of wet water ) ,get all the dirt off ,then use waterless wash
or what i do ....
wash it with washing up liquid (which strips off all old wax and dirt) then wash it again with wash n wax ,and polish it several times with a good polish .

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 June 2018, 17:05:56 »

I'm glad you said that, Lizzie: SWMBO always sprays furniture polish onto our polished wooden surfaces, thinking that the dust will magically evapourate, instead of being trapped onto the surface of the wood forever! Or, as Baza said, making grinding paste for the surfaces..... >:(

Ron.

No Ron, it was me who stated the Brillo pad effect! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 June 2018, 18:40:41 »

In a way, you both did - but you got there first Lizzie so I award you the points!  :y

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 June 2018, 18:49:04 »

In a way, you both did - but you got there first Lizzie so I award you the points!  :y

Ron.

Thank you dear Sir! :-* :-* ;D :y

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2018, 20:37:40 »

Damn I lost again :'( :'(

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 June 2018, 20:42:52 »

To get your paint work clean Ron, wash the car with a decent quality shampoo using the two bucket method. One bucket of hot soapy water for washing. A second bucket of clean water to rinse out your wash cloth/ mitt (whatever your using) after each panel.
Work from the top down. You will be amazed at how much dirt will be settled on the bottom of the rinse bucket when you've finished.
Without the rinse bucket, this dirt would be getting scratched all over your paintwork time and time again as you wash the car.
After that, a machine polish with G3 or a session with a claybar would be very useful to lift off the ingrained dirt and contaminants, before applying a coat of polish.
Having said all that, I looked at my Omega today and its absolutely filthy.  ::) ;D
It wont stay like that for long though.  ;)

Edit. I use a lambswool mitt for washing, and then dry off with microfibre towels. These replace the old chamois leather we used to use for drying. Kinder to the paintwork apparently.

Some inspiration.  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_vd6oKKMws
« Last Edit: 24 June 2018, 20:47:23 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 June 2018, 21:26:40 »

Thanks for that, Albs; I'll go to the car shop tomorrow for those bits.
I couldn't see that video, it wouldn't open.
The Bully will say it's because of my ancient XP computer!  :(

Ron.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 June 2018, 20:31:14 »

I invested in waterless cleaner to remove the odd pooh from the birds that hate me.  Then I decided to use it a Polish after I washed my wife's Juke.  The result if you use it to clean a car that's just been cleaned, but left streaky with water stains due to washing it on a HOT day is brilliant.
Seriously the best result I've had.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 June 2018, 22:00:47 »

I've tried to clean my car myself but I just can't do it!!!! I hate it with a passion. However I do like a clean car all the time so I have found what I think to be a decent compromise....

Shell unlimited car wash for £12 a month.

Bring car home or wherever and a 2-minute chamois to get off water droplets. Autoglym tyre gel on the wheels and it looks sweet.

As for the interior I keep Autoglym interior shampoo and a microfibre cloth in the car and I clean the inside as often as possible.

HTH  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 June 2018, 22:02:51 »

Oh forgot to add, I have Autoglym super resin polish too. (I'm not advertising for them by the way lol) and every so often (not sure how often is good  :-\) I cover the car. Let it sit for 10 minutes. And buff off. Holy shite the old girl looks good  :-* :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 July 2018, 09:18:42 »

Yes the autoglym is good.easy to apply and buff off.ive also tried mer that gives possibly a better shine but is harder to get off especially if you leave it too long.these do need doing regularly thou because they seem to leave a rather thin coat that stops beading up after a few weeks.
I suppose it’s proportional to what you put in.the hard tinned waxes are the hardest to use but ultimately give the best and longest lasting results.stuff like auto-balm and harlywax seem to rate highly(carnuba)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 July 2018, 10:57:01 »

The only car that goes through an automatic carwash here is the Battlebus.  Partly because I can't reach the roof easily, but mostly because I couldn't give two hoots about the damn thing ;D

Friday's trip to the BP carwash cost me another rear wiper arm though ::)
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 July 2018, 12:01:25 »

The only car that goes through an automatic carwash here is the Battlebus.  Partly because I can't reach the roof easily, but mostly because I couldn't give two hoots about the damn thing ;D

I don't like the bp one. The bristles are too hard on the big rollers. The shell ones are soft and I don't worry about scratches. And for whatever reason the shell one is the only one I've ever found to properly clean all the wheels. Just my opinion  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 July 2018, 12:30:41 »

I don't like the bp one. The bristles are too hard on the big rollers. The shell ones are soft and I don't worry about scratches. And for whatever reason the shell one is the only one I've ever found to properly clean all the wheels. Just my opinion  :y
Round these parts, its BP (which oes have the newer, softer brushes, or bucket and sponge ;D

Plus its nigh on impossible to wheelspin in the BP forecourt, as I've spent £100s giving it a good layer of rubber....
Grumpy old man

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 July 2018, 16:20:24 »

Wow.some of you are brave using an automated carwash with spinning brushes !
My boss used to use one all the time and all his cars had lengthways fine scratches on them !

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 July 2018, 17:47:47 »

www.gtechniq.com

Not cheap, not easiest stuff to apply but done once and done right, cleaning is easy for next 6-12 months.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.