Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One for the British Historians...  (Read 1564 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
One for the British Historians...
« on: 30 June 2018, 19:37:20 »

SWMBO asked me a question over coffee this morning that I couldn’t answer and I couldn’t charm up a ready answer from google...

When did British monarchs stop persecuting the Protestants/Catholics (delete as appropriate depending on the persuasion of the monarch)?

Clearly we don’t do it now, and don’t think we did in Victorian/Georgian times, but don’t know other than that. So, I thought I’d throw it out to the OOF historians/eyewitnesses and see what the answer was  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: One for the British Historians...
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2018, 20:35:53 »

I would say as a rough guess it was from the start of the 18th century and the Georgian period.  :-\

The Georgian monarchs were not bloodthirsty bastards like their forebears and were mad, drunk or sex crazed!  ;D

Probably all three in fact!  :D
« Last Edit: 30 June 2018, 20:41:30 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2018, 20:45:40 »

Probably Queen Anne with the Scottish settlement act of 1701 a and single parliament from 1707. iirc Her father was a catholic but she was baptised a protestant. The 1701 Settlement act meant only protestants inline to the throne could become king or queen, which still applies today, removing the catholic v protestant of the past and the persecution for being the opposite of the King or Queen. Very unlucky Queen who had combination 17 miss carriages, still births or they didn't survive childhood, so she was the last of the line. She was a good queen and the last one to use the royal prerogative by refusing to sign an act of parliament. iirc it stopped the Scottish from raising funds for a defensive army.

Her best friend was Sarah Churchill wife of the Duke of Marlborough John Churchill of battle of Blenheim fame, but they fell out towards the end of her reign and Sarah wrote a number of poison articles on which she was judged until recent times, where history is now much kinder on the Queen and how good a ruler she was. :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2018, 20:55:29 »

Kings/Queens haven't had any real power to persecute anyone since the 1701 Settlement Act when it was established that Parliament was(is) Soverign. The 'disputes' started when Henry 8th declared the Church of England to me independent of Rome in 1534.

The 1701 act still prevents a Catholic from taking the throne of England.

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2018, 20:59:43 »

Any chance of an invite to one of your coffee mornings?  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2018, 21:06:35 »

The simple answer is that it is still possible to find persecution going on of both Catholics and Protestants.

It was only in 2013 that is was decreed that a member of the Royal family in line to the throne could marry a Catholic.

It is not British persecution, but an English one.  This started with the action commenced by dear old Henry VIII and his Reformation of the English and Irish churches and his Act of Supremacy of 1534 that ruled the reigning English monarch was the supreme head of the Church of England.  This Act was repealed in 1554 by Queen Mary I, a very devout Catholic, but due to her record whilst on the throne, and the threats made by the Catholic Church towards Queen Elizabeth I, the Second Act of Supremacy was decreed in 1559. This reinforced the legal fact that Queen Elizabeth I,  and all subsequent English monarchs, would also be the Supreme head of the English Church.  Any allegiance to the Catholic Pope and his Church would thereafter be considered treasonable under Henry VIII's Treasons Act, the first victim of which was Sir Thomas More who fell foul of dear Henry by refusing to condon the King's actions. The Spanish Armada of 1588 that was launched by the Catholic King Phillip II, heavily supported and instructed by the Pope, to remove the Protestant whore (Elizabeth I) from the throne and make England Catholic once more, stirred up very great anger and suspicion by the English of all Catholics, which continued for at least 300 years.

Because of that history, during and since those times there has been constant mis-trust of Catholics in the eyes of the Protestants, and visa versa, depending who was on the throne.  Various Acts of terrorism, most famously the Gunpowder Plot of 1605 and even the Great Fire of London of 1666, did not help the Catholic cause with them being held responsible for both, correct of course with the former, but unfair in the case of the latter.  The 1689 Glorious Revolution saw the over throw of the very unpopular James II who had converted to the Catholic faith shortly before he was crowned, with the accession of William of Orange, King William III, a Protestant, to the English throne.

From that time on various Acts of Parliament tried to calm the Protestant v. Catholic issue down but the Jacobite Rebellions of 1715 and 1745 did not help matters, even with an Act of Union with Scotland of 1706 and 1707.  The "Irish question" was also constantly causing friction, and during the 19th century The Great Famine in Ireland sending many Catholic peasants to England.  Then the troubles across Ireland during the 20th century further fueled the antagonistic levels between the followers of the two faiths, with politics, as always being the case, driving the Protestant v. Catholic question onwards, with of course during the 20th century the added cause of a "United Ireland" taking the distrust ever further.

However, after that very brief summary that skims across much, including the thousands condemned to horrible deaths because of what they believed or who hated them the most, modern anti-Catholic feelings have greatly subdued across Great Britain since the Second World War, but still  "the differences" continue, without now the pure acts of hatred to one another.  As stated, even the Royal Family relented in 2013 on the question of Catholics entering their fold! :y
« Last Edit: 30 June 2018, 21:10:56 by Lizzie Zoom »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2018, 13:52:11 »

Thanks for the info everyone, I knew I could rely on the OOF encyclopedia.

To be fair, her next question was whether I could see her new tattoo down the top she was wearing. So, y'know, swings and roundabouts  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2018, 14:36:31 »

Thanks for the info everyone, I knew I could rely on the OOF encyclopedia.

To be fair, her next question was whether I could see her new tattoo down the top she was wearing. So, y'know, swings and roundabouts  ;D
« Last Edit: 02 July 2018, 14:42:44 by STEMO »

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2018, 11:17:22 »

Kings/Queens haven't had any real power to persecute anyone since the 1701 Settlement Act when it was established that Parliament was(is) Soverign. The 'disputes' started when Henry 8th declared the Church of England to me independent of Rome in 1534.

Oh right. So that's why Tony Blair converted after leaving office, not while incumbent      ::)

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2018, 11:24:31 »

Oh right. So that's why Tony Blair converted after leaving office, not while incumbent      ::)
I would expect nothing else from the despicable little oppstarding Onanist.
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.